1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting started bass lure fishing, Which Bass Plugs To Buy ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by woody, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

THE 2 BAD ASSES EVENTUALLY COLLIDE SOMEWHERE SOUTH OF WHITBY THERE AINT A £20+ PLUG IN SIGHT YET BUZZ'S THIRST FOR ZURG'S KNOWLEDGE AND POWER PROVES TO BE HIS UNDOING :evil: :evil: :evil:

zurg goes fishing

2. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

im going all out for the biggest bass Off the shore next year and the heaviest bag and I will beat old zurg and Zurg is showing signs of weakness and being worried already quint when did you change your name to zurg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If you just want a handful and don't want to spemd too much I would say:

Maria Angel Kiss - Dives to about 15 cms, 14 grams £10.50

Maria Chase BW - Dives to about 30 cms 18.4 grams £10.95

Tackle House Feed Shallow - Dives to about 30 cms 19 grams £21.95

Yo Zuri Mag Popper - Surface popper / Walk the dog 18 grams £10.99

As you can see by these your normal weight for lures is around 15-25 grams so in my opinion your 10 -60 gram rod is a bit overgunned. You will still be able to use it fine but if you have a chance to change it I would recommend going for something a bit lighter.

Likewise with your braid in my opinion anything over 20lbs is overkill. If you cast carefully and do stuff like closing the bail arm manually and giving the line a quick tug before starting to reel you shouldn't be getting any wind knots anyway. If you have never used braid before I can recommend power pro which is decent quality and easy to use.

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Broony,

10-60 is barely overgunned in my opinion, little point in the lad going to the expense of buying another rod where he won't see much difference. I always think is best to have something slightly heavier as at least you have the option of fishing heavier lures plus other lure fishing techniques.

Again with the braid, there isn't that much diameter difference between 20lb & 30lb so why skimp on the breaking strain? Wind knots and tangles do happen from time to time so why risk losing a lure when there really isn't any need to? He won't loose any casting distance going to 30lb but at least he has that extra b/s if he snags up in kelp, etc. Whole point of braid is to have that extra b/s but with lower diameter.

As I said earlier Woody, the rod is fine and 30lb braid will see you right.

The above is just my opinion though, not having a pop at you Broony.

5. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I agree with sam why buy another rod why not see if woody likes plugging for bass first I use spiderwire 30lb Straight through I don't use a leader

6. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fair enough lads. With tackle choices everyone is going to have different ideas. It's whatever works for you.

7. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I just couldnt justify to myself spending £21.95 on a lure. Tenner max for me!!!

8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

whats the ones in boyes like anybody used they are #1.50 each deeo and shallow dvers one piece

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

10. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

You get what you pay for

11. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

If your serious about bass fishing forget them

The best middle of the road plug to buy for our coastline is the Maria Chase BW, this will cover most situations and is ideal as a starter, as it is for an experienced angler, in favourable conditions it's the first one out of the box for me

12. Baramundi Bob

Damo uses the sidewinder quite a bit and has had some good bass on it, some days he outfishes us. Cost £2.50 from Keith sports

13. jimlad

Just on the Maria's, usually they end up quite expensive with the P&P from Veals but from now until 4th Jan, Veals are offering free postage. Might be worth grabbing a couple and saving a few quid :whistle:

14. bucko

bucko New Member

I would add that if losing plugs is going to cause you that much grief then consider other tactics such as soft rubbers, poppers, jointed thundersticks etc.

I had a hellish day a couple of years ago while trying out new spots and lost about 5 Crystal Minnows- it smarted a little but now I'm on 35lb braid I don't lose anywhere near as much.

15. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Has anyone used monstertackle.co.uk they do free uk delivery and have a few nice lures think i should treat myself.

16. Baramundi Bob

17. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers glenn will have a look some cracking fish there bring on the summer

18. Baramundi Bob

19. jimlad

20. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice plump bass there! I like the Thundersticks- the only fault I can find with them is that the jointed blue and silver one seems to attract gulls from miles away with it being so visible.