1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting started bass lure fishing, Which Bass Plugs To Buy ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by woody, Dec 27, 2010.

1. woody

woody New Member

well next summer im going to have a go for the bass on our lovely coast , summat i have never done and quite looking forward too . im not after any mark info ect i want to try and work it out myself if poss start with a couple of marks and just fish them at differnt states of tides conditions ect and try and work things out myself , now the one thing i do want help with is lures ??? if i was to go and buy 10 lures to start with ( small fortune ) :scared: what should i buy ?? and be looking for shallow divers and surface lures ? appreciate any info on the subject cheers woody :embarrass:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: getting started bass lure fishing

Maria chase bw red head, Yo zuri crystal minnow red head and mackerel.

These will likely be your cheep lures.

3. woody

woody New Member

thanks glenn i have purchased a rod recently its a diawa proteus 10 to 60gramm 10fter will this do the job or shall i swap it for summat else cheers woody

4. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Slug and I were just saying the same thing in the car on the way home last night Woody - maybe we'll have to team up :wink:
    Stickman

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Daiwa saltiga, yo-zuri crystal minnows, maria chase bw for shallow diving. Get a storm chug bug, and the jointed rapalas are good. Small fortune but these are the standard ones. I've steered clear of the ima's etc as can't justify the money!

6. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Hi woody your new rod will be fine - I use the Mike Ladle surespin 15 - 60gms and its good.

For cheap plugs to start look at - Maria chase bw red head, Maria angel kiss mackeral & pearl - all very shallow running. I would also get a Maria chase Sw in holo silver these go slightly deeper approx 2ft. I had 5 bass one day on one of these after trying all different colours and actions they just wanted it that bit deeper.

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nowthen Woody.

Firstly the 10-60g rod will be perfect, I perfer slightly shorter rods but I know most like 10fters so you've got that right anyway :yes:

As for lures, well, all depends how much money you want to spend.

We all know there are some nice lures out there that are well over £20 each, however you'll have no problem catching Bass on decent £6-£9 lures. Below are a few examples:

Storm Jointed Thunderstick
    Rapala X-Rap (XR10, XR12 & XR14 all work)
    Rapala J-11 & J-13 (if you are fishing marks with a bit of depth/when depth is required)
    Maria Chase BW
    Bomber A-Salt
    Crystal Minnow
    Rebel Jointed Minnow
    Storm Chug-Bug (surface)
    Heddon Zara Spook (surface)

Plus also worth have a few jellies/shads just in case.

I personally feel it's better to have a small selections of different lures but in different colours, that way you can change pattern depending on the sea state but still use your favourite lure :wink:

Problem you'll get now is everyone will recommend different lures and you'll feel no further forward!

8. Baramundi Bob

Just stick with the bare essentials to start with woody.

A half decent spinning/plugging rod and a couple of plugs from each category of : Shallow diver, Medium diver and deep diver.

You dont need to spend the earth to get started. The essential thing is to get out there and do it. Then once youve been fishing for a while, you will gather a mass of info from all the other lads. At that point you can use your experience plus the word of the lads you trust, and splash out on what you think you need.

Dont forget to have a word with Quint and Dan The Pollack, as they really knows what they are talking about.

9. woody

woody New Member

cheers lads much appreciated !!!

10. woody

woody New Member

also what braking strain braid would u use ?

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Something around the 30-35lb mark, some use a lot less but if you get a tangle at the reel or something you run less risk of the lure snapping off mid cast compared to say using 15lb.

12. Baramundi Bob

Whi
    whitby angling have an excellent deal on spider wire. Best price in the country im told

13. slug

slug Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

berkley whiplash 30lb has been on my pike lure fishing reels for years and is still tough as old boots although its ready for changing now! the stuff i have is a flat profile braid, that in my experience doesnt bed into itself on the reel like some round profile braids ive used, and so casts better. cant comment on its suitableness for bass though , cant see why it wont be ok.

14. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

As said Woody keep it simple at first it's a long learning curve, but not as hard as some believe, (plenty of info on here with plugs) plus you have 6 months plus to wait for the plugs to start working, people always start to get itchy feet in the new year, however a lot miss out on the bait fishing with fresh crab, I always wait till the second set of spring tides in May, then there is some great bass fishing to be had with crab, forget the rock rod, use a light 11 foot bass rod and 2 oz/1 oz leads, if you fancy a go around then let me know, you are more than welcome, we will just have to wear some cammo cause Buzz will be tailing us

15. richie7

richie7 Blenny

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. Relm

Relm Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

"we will just have to wear some cammo cause Buzz will be tailing us"
    Bet he wont be the only 1

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Quint just watch your back as ive herd woody will stick a tail on out with a pulse Ha Ha Tightlines Alain

18. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I won't be tailing anybody I've found my own marks I've put in alot of work and had alot of blanks to find them yes I had a few pointers but all the marks I fish I found myself and I don't think even quint will follow me unless he has a pair of flippers and a wet suit and a rod and reel made for salt water quint watch this space I know were there's a gully were I'm going to drop a big crab bait in close quint when I start plugging you will here the drag on my reel screaming were ever you are that Mark I was talking to you about you might go there and I will be there already :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

No need for flippers Buzz, I've invested in 2 Emperor Zurg outfits as I hear you sh@t yourself when he's in town

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Who are you talking about quint have you been on the whiskey again ?