1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin Fishfinder 90

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by SAGE, Oct 17, 2008.

1. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

has anyone got anyidea if a garmin fishfinder 90 will be suitable for a kayak or is there any recommendations
    cheers
    paul

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thats the one I have bought Sage although Ive never set it up yet. Managed quite well without any electronics at all this summer so dont get caught up in this trend of having to have the best of everything, unless of course thats what you want to do :wink: :happy:. Should be useful for finding ledges etc.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Same as Glenn I haven't used a fishfinder throughout summer, worth getting at some point though to find features. At first you want to switch off the fish ID and just concentrate on finding features or the depth of water you are looking for.

Plenty out there to choose from but Garmin, Humminbird, Eagle, etc all do good fishfinders in the £65-£80 bracket

4. SAGE

first thing and main thing i want it for is for finding underwater features and depth, are they easy to fix to yaks ?

5. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Paul,

If you need a hand fixing the fishfinder/transducer to the yak then you are more than welcome to bring your yak to my house and we'll get it sorted out there. Otherwise just ask if you have any questions/problem.

Now then Corkyballs, have you been out yakkin much lately?

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Paul,

what Sam fails to point out is the reason that he hasnt used a fishfinder all summer is that he couldnt get it working :laugh: :laugh:

mine however has worked all summer, shame though the tw4t still caught more than me!

8. SAGE

so do i need to pull out for a fish finder, or do i just follow you or do i follow the human fish finder sambo :laugh: :laugh:

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh:

You follow me Paul and I'll follow Matty :wink: at which point Davo will come along and tip us all into the drink :wounded: :whistle:

10. SAGE

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

I have the Garmin 140 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=344 and its excellent for the money, i went for this as its a higher resolution screen than the 90 and is a bit bigger screen so easier to see whats going on. Picks up fine detail of both fish and bottom with aubidle alarm for fish, shallow water etc and easy to use and setup. All i needed to drill was 3 mounting holes on the Prowler Dash and set the reciever to the base with epoxy resin. You need to keep the contacts clean with WD40 and Copper Grease as with all the fishfinders. It is fully waterproof too.

12. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

I fitted a Garmin 160c, the only reason I went for the colour one is that it was on e-bay at a reasonable price. Brand new for about £80 from the USA. It has been a very useful bit of kit.

13. robq

robq Rockling

I have just bought this ready for my new yak when it arrives. Sonar and GPS combined. If you are thinking of getting GPS then its worth getting a combined unit as there is less clutter on the yak.

I know some lads get by fine without the electronics but I like the security of knowing that I can navigate back to a safe launch site in the event of fog coming down suddenly !! ( it has happened to me once )

Its also good to have a stash of good co-ordinates for inshore wrecks and patches of good ground. I dont use the FF to find the fish ( although it does show them quite well ) but more to have an idea of depth for trolling and to find ledges and holes etc when codding.

http://www.electronics-marine.co.uk/product.asp?catid=43&productid=424

14. newdave

newdave Guest

A word of warning with fishfinders in a kayak, i have had 3 garmin 90's & 2 lowrance units in a year. with the 90 it took me two failure's to find out that the connector does not have an o ring and if you get water in the live pin just fisses away in no time. you must pack it with silicone & never leave the unit disconnected with the battery connected. dont know what happened to my lowrance unit but i just heard that its unrepairable after 6 weeks use, fortunately its under warranty as were the two replacement garmins, but it makes me think that maybe a combined unit is not such a good idea. if they are this unreliable perhaps its smarter to have separate fishfinder & GPS ?.

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Is it possible to avoid problems with the garmin then Dave ? If you pack it like you say will it be ok ? and hoiw long is the warrenty on such a thing

16. robq

robq Rockling

Always used to coat the plugs on my old hummingbird with vaseline to keep water and corrosion at bay with no problems whatsoever. The combo listed is the same body and setup as the other eagle cudas which have a pretty good record on the yakking front so far and do have an o ring seal on the plug.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

You do still need to be careful Rob, there must be a slight ingress of water on the plug as I have had to clean up the terminals due to salt corrosion.......however I wasn t using any grease though and will be doing from now on....must say tho that other than my battery failing everything with my Lowarnce unit has been great...and as you know the actual unit casing on your new one is the same case as on my m52i.....When the Dorado arrives I ll be going for either the same one again or possibly if funds allow the upgraded one like yours.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I just wonder what the manufacturers views are on the use of the various fishfinders on kayaks ? I know Humminbird must have worked with Ok as the scupper fitting on the Prowler range was Humminbird specific. However seeing as the use of fishfinders on kayaks makes them much more susceptable to water ingress than on a small boat as most small boats fit them a little higher up and away from the water.
    Not saying that my thoughts are right but it would be good for one of the manufacturers to take a step forward and look at the specific needs of a kayak unit and produce one rather than us all having to adapt what is already out there and have problems.
    Perhaps and fingers crossed that is just round the next headland with the kayak explosion that we are seeing it must happen soon.

19. newdave

newdave Guest

might just be unlucky but i have been ultra careful with the lowrance & the plug had no corrosion at all, don't know what caused it to fail as they just said it was unrepairable. i was lucky to get it replaced as its bought in the US, luckily that model has a worldwide warranty.

still think with hindsight i might have stuck with a separate fishfinder & handheld GPS.