1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

funny things that you have caught

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Mar 26, 2009.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Heres one for you lads on here whats the funnyest / weirdest thing you have ever hooked and wound in? Last year fishing a wreck with father on board i got something big it took me about 20 Min's to reel in rod was bent double. Father thought it was a big ling not biteing at all i should have known better but theres father telling me to keep it coming nice and easy stood with gaff in one hand fag in the other wishfull thinking then it broke the surfice it was a bloody big rock i was absolutely gutted father had good laugh got his camera to take few pics just to rub it in like and show all the lads in the pub :surprise: But fishing in Tees Bay on boat about 20 years back i hooked what i thought was big flat fish as it was coming up going side to side anyway it turned out to be a pair of Y Fronts :embarrass: well you just never no what down there in Davey joneses locker Tightlines all Chris

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Cant remember catching anything strange , :suspious: but i once fished a match at the walney channel several years ago,when i got to my peg that i had drawn to my horror there was two supermarket trolly's sticking up out of it ,so i waded in and cleared them i got a couple of coalie;s and that was it ,i think garry got in the prizes and i am sure he could have won it ,had it not been for some dubious measuring :suspious: :yes: :yes:

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well mine was a tesco carrier bag

4. cod_dodger

cod_dodger New Member

fishing with gas mantle over a year ago
    down at sandsend carpark (with all the experts :suspious:)
    he got snagged and broke off
    5 minutes later i reeled in, got snagged, dragged my line out of the rocks,
    i had gasses fish which he had foul hooked through the tail on the end of my my trace!

5. Dab Hand

Dab Hand New Member

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Spinning for Pike I hooked into a solid lump and upon retrieval I found my spinner attached to an old kid's lunchbox.

I mean I've heard of catching your dinner but that was taking the pi$$.

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Do you meen an old kid's box or an old box belonging to a kid :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: just having a laugh matey ,i can just picture an old geezer walking around in a school uniform asking has anyone found my lunch box , :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh:

I caught a rockling and a car door handle on the same hook this winter

9. richie7

richie7 Blenny

As a kid my dad used to take me fishing in Brid harbour. Sometimes we would fish off the wall and sometimes off the steps inside the harbour. One day whilst catching a few eels & flatties off the steps on a float with ragworm I actually pulled out an old welly! Luckily I was too young to be embarassed at the crowd of people looking over the edge and laughing but I do cringe a little now at the thought of it. Bet someone lost it in the mud getting to the boats.

10. redmanwalking

redmanwalking Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Trotting down the river Hull with a stick float I hooked in to something, I pulled and pulled thinking it was a snagg then a came free and started to wobble around like a fish. Some guy on one of the boats across on the over bank watched on waiting to see what appeared to be a big fish. As it came to the surface all became clear it was an old oil lamp. One of the fella's on the boat shouted across stating " I lubed that in only last week". Cheers

11. kipper

kipper New Member

i recall hearing of trawlers picking up bodies in their trawls. also bombs which were returned. when rocks and such like was landed on the deck these were taken home for compensation money for net damage.

12. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Fly fishing for seatrout one night on the Avon ( pronounced Arn - a tributary of the Tay). I was casting and all of a sudden my line ended up in a heap behind me, but there was something thrashing about on the stones.......it was a bat, and it had taken one of my flies in the nose! It was hooribble thing..trying to bite me all the time whilst I tried to set it free. I unhooked it in the end but the bloody thing got it's own back and drew blood. I haven't got rabies thankfully.

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

have you developed an aversion to Garlic, Sunlight and Crosses?

14. bucko

bucko New Member

I always carry a gardening glove and pair of snips- turns a very awkward job into an absolute doddle.

Probably the strangest thing I've ever caught was what seemed to be a burbot which are supposedly extinct in this country.

On a non- living side I had a landing net out of Lockwood some time ago, a marigold glove from the Esk and a pair of 'Alan Whickers' off Saltburn Pier.

15. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Thinking about it, my dad's had a bit of trouble with birds in his time :laugh:

Firstly he was fishing from the Cliffs at Flamborough a fair few years ago now, when all of a sudden his rod smashed over and was banging about like no tomorrow. Tourists started to gather awaing the monster that was being hauled up the cliffs.... needless to say it was a Seagull :laugh:

Second one was a few years ago Piking at Wansford, the water's crystal clear there so you can see your bait etc. He'd just put his last half mackerel out when a duck swam over and went to dive down for it. As he tried to 'skillfully' move his bait out of its way he foul hooked the beast. It was storming about everywhere and going nuts once it was on the bank. I was in stitches, wish I'd been around when he got the Gull though! :laugh:

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

had a sea gull off scarborugh east pier while casting and whan you try to get it off it does not know it was his own bloody fault be got hooked

17. Acko

Acko Rockling

Ive caught Diving birds, seagulls, Rocks, A starfish, A whelk, A size Lobster, A barber Jacket, A pair of Orange overalls and a (Frying Pan, On a boat)
    My mate caught a Housebrick once too

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Come on alan (big cliff) you must have a tale about a strang catch :whistle:

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I caught a few ducks on bread flake at Poole Hospital Lake. They put up a cracking fight

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Caught an Octopus on rag/squid last year, strange things :confused: