1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fun with yaks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Aug 14, 2007.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Just been having a look at some of u lads who r fishing from yaks. You seem to have this side of fishing down to a fine art, what with fish finders and things..Can anyone tell me what sort of cost u r looking at when starting out, and is there anywhere that u can try out this sort of fishing without having your own yak. Someone is going to make alot of money doing guided yak trips if they can sort out the insurance ;D

2. newdave

newdave Guest

think i am the latest recruit so probably got a good idea of cost,Not cheap, but compared to owning and maintaining a small inshore boat its a snip.

spent so far, hope my missus don't read this forum

prowler 13 angler, £559 from surfsport at stockton, he got a paddle, leash, and roof bar paddings thrown in.
    Trolly, recommend the tug think it was £80 from robin hood
    fishfider, Garmin 90 £89, can be got cheaper on internet
    PFD £58, not the cheapest available
    Wetsuit & booties £60, need a drysuit for colder parts of year
    Flares £20
    handheld VHF starting from about £60
    i use a hand held GPS not essential but its very useful in checking speed of drift and how you are doing paddling against the current, would obviously assist if fog came down.

think that covers the essentials obviously fishing tackle needs to be added, in my case i started from scratch so running at about £300 so far, tried the cheap options first but lost a decent bass through a cheap reel and now tooled up with carbon rods and quality reels.

the one thing i am sure of already is although its great fun, you need to be very comfortable with the sea. a kayak is small and only stable if handled carefully. you could easily finish up swimming, i was a diver for over 30 years so feel at home but its not the same for everyone.

Incidentally before i went fishing i took the yak out empty and practiced tipping it up and climbing back in, recommend a lake

on flat water you can get up to about 4 kts with practice but wind and tide against you may be going backwards. so good planning is required.

hope thats helpfull

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Newdaves just about covered everything - around a 1000 would see you safely afloat, like everything else you could spend more on various add ons - spot on with safety, some yaks are sea yaks but only for messing in the surf - a strong tide and head wind are different animals - theres plenty of sites that Glenn has put links of on here, plus a few lads on here will always give good advice - as for guided trips I start at 150 quid per hour

4. newdave

newdave Guest

how come you dropped your prices, i demand a refund

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:)

Lots Of Info for you

Here

Here

And

Here

And mustn't forget this one :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-kayak-fishing.php

8)

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Whatever you do DO NOT......IN ANY EVENT.....I REPEAT...DO NOT.....read That bloody article by Iain yakmeister Sellors !!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I did and just had to go out straight away and spend a fortune on my yak and all the kit to go with...lol

Seriously though.What Iain says in that superb article hooked me big style and every single penny has been worth it......be warned though it can be quite hairy at times as newdave says its not like any other type of sea fishing, but so so rewarding when you haul your first cod aboard though.

If you fancy a go you are more than welcome to have a paddle about in mine next time we manage to get out.

Cheers Dave.

7. longcast22

longcast22 New Member

i thought that yak training was only done in TIBET,????????
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    longcas22

8. robq

robq Rockling

Its a seriously addictive new branch of the sport !! I also have Iain to thank for all of the advice he has given me and the Bempton article that he wrote was the final straw that pushed me over the edge !!

It has been the best £ ???? I have ever spent :eek: :eek: ;D ;D

My best moment in the last 3 months of Yak ownership was catching a 7lb + cod on an ultralight 6ft spinning rod and 8lb braid whilst watching an amazing sunset at flamboro !!

Worth every penny + it keeps you fit too.

Rob

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

In summary though , this yakking business is a fad that will pass, best nobody else get one it will only be a waste of money,you are better off on the shore with your back to the sea......don t get one of those plastic wastes of money.....I hear the word is already spreading that the yaks are reducing the quality of fishing round here , probably all the splashing about by capt pugwash and the crew members.....

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

That is the most visited page on the whole site and gets hits from people wanting to go kayak fishing, some wanting to make their own trolleys and some looking for paddle leashes. If I was selling kayaks that page would be worth a fortune ;)

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Thanks very much fellers. I can tell eveyone who left a reply that i would never consider going out on my own at first. The sea cost me a family member and safty is always my top prioraty