1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fs/braid with multi rung rod?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

your thoughts please lads.

with the much debated fixed soool and braid topics i dancy giving it a try.
    is it feasible to try on a multi rung 14 ft zzipy?as i may be able to borrow a f/s to give it a whirl as i aint flush at moment to buy gear.
    is there any reasonable price rods an reels out there.i fish a lot of rock!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I tried it the other week Shaun and the briad cast ok for me on my AFAW 6+ bait mind I am not a big caster.
    I like the bite detection but not sure if I was that impressed fishing across the swells down Port the other week as it pulled the lead to easy compaired to my other rod which was holding fine with mono. I am also after a reel for the briad quit fancy a Penn afinity but aparantly they flex a bit the other I was looking at was the Penn battle but a few say you don't get as good a cast due to the deeper spool.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I believe the longer the spool the more flexing , yes you get a bit more distance but then again if you are fishing the heavy ground very
    often the fish aren't very far out , I have a FIN NOR 8500 OFFSHORE reel and it goes fine by me giving a decent distance + you can pull the boulders out with them , well nearly , either the Penn Battle or the Fin Nor would be ideal

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Im using b+fs on my 13ft multi rod at the moment sean and its class no problems up to now ad had a few fish on it

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve been using my multi rods and braid for the last two full seasons and this being the third...........no problems and more distance than braid on a multi due to the line dragging off a multi.

Also if you re not on braid leaders , ditch the mono leaders and get on 80-100lb braid leader.....I was dubious about braid leaders, but having now spent a lot of hours casting braid leaders with not so much as a sniff of problems......I ll never go back to mono leaders.....took me a while to be convinced but I am now. :)

6. philkingcod

philkingcod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello bow1 the answer is yes it will be fine, there is not alot of difference ive used a fixedspool reels on multi rods for about 10 years and had no real troubles with it.all i have found is wrap arrounds on the first eye but i over come that by twisting the tip to the right a fraction every time i go out i keep the rods multi just for the stiffness hope this helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I got a sliding reel seat on me afaw tourney rock marked off at the bottom and top of the shrink tubeing with elecy tape
    bottom for multi and top for fixed spool,depends on what situation im in to which reel I use,no problems really

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A cheaper alternative Sean is the Daiwa OPUS BULL 6000 Fixed Spool , they have plenty of balls , well made have a spare spool and cast quite well , might get one off E BAY I got one for around 60 quid last year , really good value

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

what do you think the advantages of using a braid leader are dave, im currently fishing 60lb straight through with no problems as of now

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Three reasons for me matey. Firstly I sometimes backcast even on rock and with a 6oz lead and a full on hit the lack of stretch has meant boom, cracked off 80lb easily, I firmly believe with a hard cast the force generated against no stretch its just not safe.
    Secondly I like having the heavier leader so that there is great abrasion resistance.......I m using 100lb leaders and so far no problems even on some vicious ground.

Thirdly, i was using mono leaders but every now and then got ring wraps , which is definitely down to the stiffer mono working against the very limp braid and either the mono springs up through the rings or outside the rings as it always wrapped around the second ring up. With limp braid leaders no ring wraps.
    It took me a while to be convinced and is just the same in casting feel as braid main line straight through but I have the safety of the heavier leader both in casting and abrasion.

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Thanks for that dave, what knot are you using to join them then?

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

4 turn grinner in the 100lb, 8 turn grinner in main line braid. Been straightening 5\0 hooks and uprooting kelp stalks with it!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2