1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh mussel

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Nov 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi all. Does anyone around Whitby do fresh mussel bait shelled. I know bill Costins has them at times but if anyone in Whitby itself who can supply me with 3 days worth on 14th Dec will they please let me know. Thanks

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I have no idea what a fair price is for them but cash waiting

3. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Your local Morrisons mate £3 odd a net and shell em yourself .

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Thanks for that. Is that what u lads use.

5. basha

basha Blenny

shop on parliment road middlesbrough,used to be called wards now called catch of the day.
    went down yesterday to get some squid,does frozen calamari and fresh,was plenty of mussell in there too but will have to shell down bud.not sure on prices but if around there ile pop in and ask,and post details laters but off fishing somewere today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

How much is the Squid?

7. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The squid is 3.50 for a box and the mussel is 1.50 for a net, approx 20 or so in it.

8. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i found the morrisons mussel not so good.
    look for jade storr in whitby via facebook

9. robq

robq Rockling

Glad I learned to skein from the old brid skippers in the late 80s :)

I get my huge mussel from cornwall on family holidays and get enough frozen down for a sseason:cool:

10. basha

basha Blenny

boxes 3.50.
    fresh £7.00 a kilo.
    been buying the fresh of late way out fishes the boxes and theres more than enough to last 1/2 seshions in a kilo.

11. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

A good tip is to drop the mussels shells in boiling water for just 30 seconds before taking them out. This doesn't cook them but they tense up which makes them hold together better and easier to get out.

13. worm drowner

worm drowner Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

14. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. robq

robq Rockling

Agreed :)

You don't sever the main white muscle that holds the shells together, you put the knife in at an angle to slice it from the surface of the shell on both sides, which when finished gives a mussel that is still held together in one piece :)

16. brian carragher

I learned to skien mussel as I was a longliner during winter, can still do it well and even without looking at the mussel, real key tip is if youre right handed hold the mussel in your left with the bend of the shell in the curve of your left palm with the pointed end away from your body and slip the tip of the knife just in and use your right wrist to flick the knife round
    It does take a bit of practice but worth it

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Thanks for the replays lads. I don't think I will get to shell many as not a lot around Stockport! However I will try to freeze some down myself from Morrisons. Not all that keen to use them from shop as when I got fresh from bill Costins they were excellent really creamy when whipped on almost like a fresh peeler I don't know if farmed will be the same

18. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's interesting good to see! do you or can you freeze them like that ready for fishing ??

the way I freeze them for shore fishing is to skien them properly

whip them onto drinking straws, roll up with cling film.

cut to size as you use, straw will act as a "baiting" needle when

putting mussel around hook bend & presented on hook shank.

use extra bait elastic to ensure it dosnt mask hook barb etc.

or lay a few blacks/yellow tails along & whip alongside mussel.

Thats not the way to do it, (best Mr Punch voice), horrible raggy mussels

agree Bri,

was just a video I came across, until Arthuritis takes over you can soon
    be able to skien mussels whole.

dying art due to squid etc for long lining . if your in Brid near the

harbour units watch the guy skiening sacks of mussel, but he wont

sell you any he does about 4 special brew to the sack.

19. brian carragher

Hey up Bry, you doing ok, I realise you know how to skein i was just a bit concerned that some on here might try and copy the video and attempt to get mussel out of the shell as shown in the video, just thought that was a real accident waiting to happen, the old way is still the best

20. robq

robq Rockling

I still find it easier just to take them fishing as they come out of the shell:)

Its rare for me to fish a straight mussel bait these days and its almost always cocktailed with frozen blacks and razor or cart or green crab or unwashed squid depending on where and what time of year:)

I like to have the flexibility to just whip a couple on for whatever the situation:)