1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

freezing herring

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, May 26, 2011.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Any body had any success freezing herring?i like to use it for pollock up mull though with the demise of local fismongers im resticted to buying from supermarket.Trouble is i find supermarket fish usually manky,so on odd occassion i find it in good nick id like to buy then and try freezing it.
    any comments?

2. steerser

steerser Blenny

Freezing will turn them to mush mate...salt em

3. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Years ago, strips of herring were probably THE most popular bait for float fishing from piers and you could buy fresh herring from a fishmonger near to where you were fishing from, as both fishmongers and herring were quite plentiful. I'm pretty sure that you could also get salted herring from tackle shops as well back then. If I was using fresh herring and I had some left over when I was packing in, I'd either offer it to anyone fishing near me, or take it home, salt it, and then wrap it in newspaper. This dried it out and preserved it until next time, and I always preferred using salted herring in rougher conditions because it stayed on the hook longer than the fresh stuff. Like steerser says, you could freeze it, but when it thaws out, it's just too mushy to stay on the hook. If you can get fresh mackerel on the day, that should be just as good as herring.

4. snapper

snapper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fillet, dry down and freeze (inside newspaper) or salt it down and freeze it in fillets. Salting is easy, if you haven't done it just put a layer of salt in a dish, lay the filelts on and pour a load more over it then leave for 'long enough'. I also do this with cod and whiting fillets which I then freeze and use for cooking.