1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freelining Livebaits

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well it was a rather strange night to say the least. After last weeks sucess with the sandeels I went in search of some more. First drop down, a weaver. I went to cut it off and the thing jumped in the air and landed on my hand - Ouch !!!

I paddled in, close enough to shore to be able to get off the water if I had any reaction to it. I carried on jigging and managed 1 sandeel and a bucket full of baby coalies. My hand got quite painful but no sign of any swelling and after about an hour the pain went off.

I decided to paddlee out and try a bit of freelining with my livebaits. I rigged up a 3/o hook on a 5 foot snood of 30lb Daiwa Sensor (If I got a big one I wasnt going to snap it this time). The snood was then attached straight to my braid with a swivel. On the hook went the sandeel and I lowered him in the water and let out about 20 foot of line.

I drifted off with the tide, holding onto the rod with the drag sent. Minutes later all hell broke loose and line was tearing off my reel. I tightened the drag and played out my first ever freelined bass which later weighed in at just short of 3lb.

I salvaged the sandeel (Now almost lifeless) and rehooked him and set him adrift again. I went to put the bass in my fish bag and bang, another fish. This one went ballistic and was clearly a lot bigger. Frighten it would snap me I let it have more drag and the fish happily took line from the reel. I stopped the fish diving too far by stopping the reel with my hand. Again I played it out and when it came to the surface it was a belting pollack which I felt was going to be a double figure fish as it looked a hell of a lot bigger than the one I got in the southern softies match.

Anyway I had forgot my scales yet again so I borrowed some scales from another lad fishing out there. Much to my surprise the fish only registered 8lb, but sure did look much much bigger. As it got dark there was a lot of fish breaking the surface around me but I couldnt manage anymore, time for home.

The paddle back home in the dark was excellent tonight. There was a lot of phosphoresence in the water which looked like sparks coming off the paddle and in the wake of the kayak. All in all it was another very special night. The weever sting was a bad start but the night was rounded off nicely with a couple of nice fish caught with another new method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great fishing Glenn well done. it looked a lovely night for it tonight

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Bl**dy well done Glenn, really pleased for you. That Pollock certainly does fill the foot well.

4. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's a sizeable pollack fella! Nice one. :yes:

5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That's a hell of a pollack. I'd be suspicious of those scales!

Hats off to you for your technique, you are always willing to try something new and that never fails to impress me. Shame it's not possible to capture the night fishing "sparks" in a photo.

Do you bother with the night light on a pole jobby?

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done glen cracking result :yes: when you say fish were breaking the susface allaround you ,did you have any poppers to try :happy: you never know what will happen in the dark :cool:

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Harry,

No poppers, and I know I should carry them.

Biscuit lad,

I would say the scales were wrong but Ill have to go with it. The fish was loads bigger than the one I got in the southern softies match and that fish was well over 7lb. I had this one down as over 10lb the moment I saw it. But thats fishing.

A thoroughly enjoyable night. They take like nothing you have ever felt when you freeline the baits in this way.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Give them a go next time your out in the dark Glen , :wink: let us know the result ,well off to bed now see you all to moz :cool:

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well done Glenn, that really is some fishing. Takes confidence to sit there trying new methods....and it really has paid off. Hope the hand is ok, bloody weavers, they are everywhere, never been stung myself and hope I never will be, horrid things...........

10. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Cracking fish Glenn well done mate,I reckon your scales must be the same type as Bri Carragher used to weigh my pollack the other week :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Fancy forgetting your poppers :no: :no: :no: you should know better but then again it might have distracted you from what you really set out to try to achieve with the livebaits :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

11. robq

robq Rockling

Nice pollack Glenn :yes: That is definitely bigger than 8lb surely !!

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well done Glenn, hell of a fish that matey. It does look big in those pics, bet the fight was awesome.

13. Mark

Mark Blenny

Two great fish there BB and a great method of taking them.

14. gforce

gforce Blenny

nice one glen loads of weavers down our way this year a right pain in the a**e

15. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Cracking fish Baramudi.
    That sounds like a perfect night for the fly. Fish shallow enough to present to. More points for the league!

Amazing how hard fish take a naturally presented bait, an with nothing to hold them back you can really feel the fight. Freelining is also a good way to fish with prawns you know.

Would love to go for the pollack with fly one day - shame it is so bloody far! Hopefully we can get some fishing done in Skye next week. Should be some pollack (lithe) and coalfish there (saithe).

You were lucky with that weaver. I would say he only just caught you, rather than a deep injection of venom.Either that you are one of those lucky sods who don't seem to be adversely affected. Some people react very little, same with bees and wasps. I got stung by a wasp at the bulldog bash (July) and it still hasn't even started to heal yet, it is still bright red and weeping. I steer well clear of weavers! Pliers and a cloth. No chances!

Gales coming now. This weekend looks OK though. I shall be working up around Aberdeen......hope to get out and steal some of those Scottish fish!

Good luck for the weekend lads.

16. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

Nice fish glen, i think you need to either buy a new set of scales or get them calibrated. It looks bigger than
    8lb

17. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done glenn ,looks like you had a cracking night

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Thats a belting pollock fella and a great way of catching em too...

19. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Glenn, dont know how i missed this post ?, Glad to see that you whitby lads are made of sterner stuff than the smoggies, no lifeboat required :wink:

Also note that you should buy a set of welsh scales as that Pollock would have easily hit 15lb on those :laugh:

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

you cheeky git mr spawney i have the same scales as youve got ive converted 2 of the english tight people to part with there money for decent lures lets see how many more jump on the band wagon
    cheers ian