1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free stretches of the river tees? fresh water fishing

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Fishing Pictures' started by BOOMSTICK, Aug 23, 2010.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Send you some venues for free (and good) fishing by PM in the morning, going to swallow some Pernod now

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice 1 cheers brian speak soon

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I dont know if you lads have looked on this site www.dofreefishing.com for advice and places to fish for free in England.
    The E-A also have a website with information on free waters around the country.
    I bet you will get sea-trout on the Tees if your fishing into darkness.
    Good luck :happy:pB

4. BOOMSTICK

hi lochbois yeh i use dofreefishing but they can be a bit vague on the boundries its always best to get some 1 who has fished it and has the knowledge as i dont want to gget in to trouble didnt know the E-A had a section there site will have a look cheers

scotty

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The E-A do a little book free to anglers i always fancy trying the free sections on the Tees above Croft .
    As you say the boundries arnt clear and i always get a snotty baliff who wont listen to me.
    I used to fish the Middleton one Row free section in the late 70s .
    The banks get well overgrown these days with all the nitrates washed into the river from the farming.
    The Wear has some big chub and barbel.
    The club i am in allows winter fishing on a day ticket i think.
    If you give Witton Castle Trout lakes a ring or look on their website you will be better informed.
    Im in Bishop Auckland Angling Club and only fish for the game fish in the Wear.
    Ferryhill Angling Club has a lot of course fishing sections on various rivers in the north east and they have some ponds .
    Good luck :wink:pB

6. BOOMSTICK

Nice 1 cheers skunkhead will have to plan a few days out soon

7. Shorty

Shorty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Brian I know this post was a while ago now Iā€™m looking at expanding from the barrage to Preston park where I normally fish for pike can you recommend any other free stretches on the tees would be much appreciated

8. basha

basha Blenny

your pretty limited on the tees specially for the pike.the area's you are fishing for pike(barrage to preston park have been hammerd).
    yarm was once prolific but everyone heads to these places.goose pastures behind school in yarm is worth a throw.only other free waters you have are neasham bank(not a prolific venue in winter mind too shallow),broken scar has pike but again a summer venue.one place you may take a fish is skern mouth at croft,theres usually odd fish tucked away in there,slightly deeper water,but to be fair unless your in a club you'll find it hard to hit a place thats highly productive because of the pressure of other anglers.conditions havnt been great this winter and not just for pike................join teesside angling forum you will get more info off there,theres a lot of lads who target predatory species including bri.the areas you are fishing can all produce on there day mind.

9. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The free stretch's as mentioned above by Basha have been hammered, theres not much of any note that comes out from them now, even the mighty Yarm free stretch is goosed and when you can get the river right to fish them, parking restrictions mean you cant get anywhere near the river anyway

Best bet really is to have a look at joining a few clubs, access is better, fishing is less pressurised and the bankside is better for fishing and getting in, club waters because they see less anglers tend to hold more fish and quality fish as well

A lot of the lower Tees has seen the better fish taken by seals, not all of them but enough to make fishing a session on them really hard, I cant remember when I last had a session on the lower Tees for pike but it won't be any time soon thats for sure, much better lengths elsewhere

10. basha

basha Blenny

agree the seals have desimated the lower reaches,they have been seen well above yarm and above worsell.
    take the time to look around local clubs it makes sense in the long run,other than that stick your travel shoes on and head off to the swale/ure.plenty of ticket water to head for if your prepared to travel for your fish.to be fair if your up for shelling out for juice to travel might aswell join a local club for the middle tees.

11. Shorty

Shorty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yea we do a fair bit of travelling to find new spots i have had countless sessions on the tees this winter mainly lure fishing had a few out but they are few and far between 1 session on deads not a sniff it is getting a lot harder to fish compared to what it once was i have seen countless videos sent to me seals chasing the pike on the surface at Preston park think my next session is going to be away to the swale providing no one pours a flask out then it will be up 4ft :)

12. basha

basha Blenny

good thing with the swale it runs off quickly unlike the tees that holds water for longer.
    its been a strange year weather wise,theres nothing settled and fishing has been tough for al species,specially on the tees front.
    just when you think you have a couple of mild days it lashes it down bringing levels up,just as its dropping off and looking ideal,we are hit with minus 3 just cant win.might be worth a throw at cundal lodge its got to better than the lower tees.another good spot is the ure at boroughbridge below the weir,but its very peggy but you do get the canal on the same ticket.tickets from the pub cos tackle shop is closed now.it belongs to social angling,you cant fish it sundays mind.