1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free stretches of the river tees? fresh water fishing

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Fishing Pictures' started by BOOMSTICK, Aug 23, 2010.

1. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

any body fished the free stretches of the river tees? if so what are they like? or is there any stretches around middlesbrough thats reasonably priced to fish any can through out some good sport?

and if any 1 fancys wetting a line on friday with me they are more than welcome

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Plenty of free fishing both sides of the river and its fishing its socks off right now but its pushing through a bit with extra rain water in and will get stronger over the next few days with all the extra rain we're getting and will colour up even more than it is now

What that'll mean is that you'll have to fish the best bits pretty well to get the best out of it

Bream aplenty and roach galore if you use the right bait, worm or worm cocktail for the bream, caster top bait for the roach and perch will take maggot all day long

Where do you fancy, i can put you onto a few places and best of all its FREE with just your rod licence required, good safe parking as well

3. BOOMSTICK

alright brian im a big barbel fan but will settle for any thing not been corse fishing this year yet i was thinking of the stretch behinde tees side airport but iv never fished the tees so any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

4. brian carragher

Barbel fishing on the Tees has been crap so far this year with just the odd fish coming out, I've had four evening sessions from 5/6 till 12 ish and have'nt had a barbel bite yet and I'm not the only one

Very cold flood water and freezing conditions have probably contributed to a very poor and late start to this years barbelling but I'm expecting things yo improve drastically now with all this warmer wet weather we're getting

There are barbel in some of the free stretch's on the Tees but it'll be hard work and better in the dark unless the waters up and coloured

If you want some pointers to venues send a PM and we'll keep it a bit more private if you get my drift

If you're looking for something a little closer to home then let me know if you're looking for a good banker coarse venue then I'll pass a few on

5. BOOMSTICK

pm sent

6. brian carragher

Just back in from a daft couple of hours on the Tees on one of the free bits

Nice bag of quality roach on caster

7. BOOMSTICK

cool hope they are there on friday im setting 1 rod up on pellet with a method feeder and 1 up with a swim feeder for silver fish. if your not busy brian your more than welcome to come with me

8. brian carragher

I would but I don't know where it is :wink:

Not sure how Fridays panning out yet but could be piking as boat fishing will be knackered this weekend but thanks for the offer

Just so you know theres pike there as well where you're going, good ones as well

9. BOOMSTICK

will take my pike gear to then see if i can wangle a few out

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Now then lads. Just fished Marske Ressie for the first time in over 30 years. I enjoyed it catching plenty of skimmers to about a lb. Would like to get the bigger fish out, to try and beat the 6lber i got in 76.

11. brian carragher

If you want to catch big bream bigger than 6lb then get yourself down to the lower Tees, theres bream aplenty and feeding well with all the rain colouring up the water nicely

12. brian carragher

Fished the lower Tees today and although it held its peat colour it had lost its chocholate colour from the rain water

Still got 7 bream out averaging just shy of 4lb a piece in poor fishing conditions, clearing river no flow and sunshine, so when its right I would expect it to fish its socks off for bream but as it is now it is perfect for roach and perch fishing

13. BOOMSTICK

fished that stretch you told me about brian couldnt get to the swim i wanted to as its realy over grown. conditions were terrible for barbel clear water with no depth was supprised considering the rain fall weve had so didnt waste my time trying for them.

i just fished for silver fish. got 5 dace 3 grayling all about 1lb 3 small brownies and 2 roach and a cat fish about 2 inch long lol so not a bad day all in all oh and about 1000 minnows lol was plagued with them

14. brian carragher

That bit you fished holds big barbel over double figures big big pike and big chub, don't be put off by the depth as it does'nt worry the fish although for the big barbel and chub they do prefer the colour in the water, pike prefer clean water and just lie doggo on the bottom without feeding till it clears up

The dace there are numerous and pretty big for dace but the big bonus is one you found and thats the big head of grayling in there and they like clean water and trotted maggot

If you fish it again kill the minnows and use them as deads for the chub, they love them but don't leger them live as they just duck under stones and get you stuck

Next time take a machette, mine lives in my car boot

15. BOOMSTICK

i got an eel aswell cant forget that lol. i got 1 grayling trotting a maggot and the other 2 were on swimfeeder.
    iv got a machete but forgot to take it DOH. the was litteraly only a foot of water so realy didnt think the barbel would be out to play.

i just enjoyed the sport at the end of the day was just nice been out but will be going back afet some rain fall i think or fish it in darkness.

have you seen the pic of my PB barbel brian?

16. brian carragher

P B barbel

I thought you were catching the livebaits :tease:

17. brian carragher

If you're fishing into the confluence( where the Tees and Skerne meet) cast upstream of the Skerne mouth and let it settle in the mouth area, its a fair bit deeper there

18. BOOMSTICK

ha ha so funny lol. the amont of dog walkers that came down and started throwing stones in to my swim for the dogs to chace was unreal nearly threw about 6 people in inconsiderat pricks but you do get them
    i couldnt get any were near the skerne mouth for the vegitation will take my matchete next time ind make a path through

19. brian carragher

If you're after a few quick sessions for coarse fish, get a couple of pints of castors and head down to the lower Tees where you'll catch plenty of quality roach all day

20. BOOMSTICK

weres the lower tees? im not very clued up on the tees all my river fishing has been done in yorkshire and down south