1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE FISHING AREAS ON THE TEES - ANGLING ON THE RIVER TEES

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by woody, Jan 11, 2008.

1. woody

woody New Member

some free fishing stretches on the tees

http://www.dofreefishing.co.uk/england/free-fishing-durham.html :happy:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Re: free fishing areas on the tees

Cheers for that Woody :cheesy:

Might have a look at some of those stretches for a bit of Pikin :yes:

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

Sambo, if you like doing a bit of Piking, it may be worth spending £25-£30 a years by joining Thornaby, Stockton or Yarm Angling Clubs. They are also joint with A.T.D.A.C and the Lower Tees Angling Association, who have miles of the Tees, for both Piking, other coarse and game fishing.
    The free stretch at Yarm (true Lovers Walk) is over fished and in my opinion the Pike here may need protecting, as at times i've lost count at how many times i've seen big fish with absesses and broken traces still in their mouths. Only last month, a mate of mine caught his first Pike (19lb 9oz) with the biggest absess i've ever seen, and 2 lost trebles still in its mouth.
    Dave

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Hi Dave,

I never really fancied fishing the Yarm free stretch basically because as you say it is over fished, real shame that the Pike have suffered from either bad handling or inadequate gear :angry: Joining some of the clubs will be a good idea, find some of those less pressured stretches.
    I generally do most of my Piking over past Scarborough/Hull way, I'd like to put in some time on the Tees as no doubt there will be some nice fish in there :yes:

Cheers,
    Sam

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Hi Sam, have you fished a place called Pottery Pond at Strensall near York? If not, give it a go, as its a natural Pike and other coarse fishing lake and you can fish it all night too. Heres the link.

http://www.potterypond.co.uk/about_fishing.htm.

6. woody

woody New Member

hi davo fished pottery pond couple of times last year never done out tho talked to a guy who had a 30 from there :surprise:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Never heard of Pottery Pond until now (cheers for that), looks like they have some nice fish. The 26lb Common (1st pic in the gallery) is gorgeous :yes: Might have a drive down some time.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

30lb Pike? that'll do me :yes: Actually 30lb anything would do me :canadian:

9. woody

woody New Member

its one of those places tho that u have to put the time in to get the results same with most big fish venues

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yer right there Woody its a proper wild fishery not like the commercials. if you put the time in the end result is much more rewardable like anything else in life. There is a lad called Dean who fishes there literally all the time-he practically lives there, but gets the fish. I've only fished it twice and only for the pike as i'm not interested in carp etc, but its obvious its a good fishery. With regards to the pike Sam, i think winter is the best time of year for them on dead baits, but i've been told summer for using surface lures etc.
    Dave

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I mainly fish with lures anyway, Pike fishing in the warmer months on surface lures is fantastic fun. Doesn't matter how many times you've fished for Pike on the surface they always scare the crap out of you when they hit for lures (specially if close in!) :yes:

Does Pottery Pond get many Carp lads on it? Generally Lure fishing and Carp lines don't mix very well :no:

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

Not as many as you would expect. The few times i've been i have only seen two others carp fishing and one is always Dean. If you go there again ask him for advice as he knows it like the back of his hand. Most modern carp anglers are brought up on the stocky fish, so if you find a place holding wildies, then the chance is, you'll have it to yourself.
    I'm in a club who has a wild carp water and its the same here, it doesnt get fished. It also holds big perch apparently, so if i can drag myself from game fishing a bit more, i'm gonna try dead baiting for them.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

I forgot to say Sam, with regards to carp fishing there is only about 40-50% where you can erect a bivvy. That leaves loads of space for luring for pike and there is loads of space anyway cos there isnt a lot carpies there anyway. Last time i fished it all night me and my mate hit the beer about 8ish. I packed up fishing (beer and fishing dont mix for me) and just watched my mate get drunk and carry on fishing. About two in the morning he got a run, and he tried to run straight out of his bivvy with the door zipped up.

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Wild Carp and big Perch, sounds like bliss to me Davo :yes: :yes: :yes: deffo my sort of water.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Hope this helps Sam. If it doesnt load, go to venues and go to Oxbow Lake.

http://www.thornaby-angling-association.co.uk/

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Davo, just printed off an application form. As well as the Oxbow lake I fancy doing a bit of fly fishing on the Ure as well. Just been looking on Google Maps and it looks very nice :yes:

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nice one Sam, might see you about sometime. Your'e right about the Ure its a lovely river, especially the top end of the beat. I cant believe Thornaby have it to be honest, but apparently they were on the ball and bought it years ago. There is really big browns in that stretch too.

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

The only fly fishing I have done is on the Esk at Danby, only a small river there but I do enjoy it (plus it's only 10mins drive away) but the Ure looks very promising so would be worth the drive over. Well if Thornaby accept my application then I may see you down there Davo (probably teach me a thing or two about fly fishing! :yes:).
    I'm quite happy fishing most places but I much prefer somewhere quiet with nice surroundings :yes:

19. woody

woody New Member

i live only 2 miles down streem of the thornaby stretch the trout fishing can be amasing we have a stetch on the farm seen barbel pike chub some good grayling unfortunaly we dont have the fishing rights on the river :whistle:

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thats a shame Woody, good fishing but just out of reach-typical. The Ure at Kilgram bridge has good barbel but i've never fished for them, but some lads do. When i go there i fly fish for the trout and grayling. Where about do you live near the Thornaby stretch Woody? is it the Ure?