1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox on the rocks.. Wildlife whilst out fishing..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GJW

GJW Rockling

I love fishing, but its not just the catching what's enjoyable but being out and about in our lovely country and coastline. You never know what you are going to come acrosss.

Just wondered what unusual wildlife you have come across whilst fishing.. "Doggers" Do not count as Wildlife..lol

Off the top of my head I have seen.

Fox's
    Deer
    Otters
    Mink
    Pine Martins
    Osprey
    Golden Eagle
    Sea Eagle
    Basking Sharks
    Minke Whales
    Pilot Whales

What wildlife have you come across whilst fishing any pictures..??

Found this cheeky fox looking in my bag whilst fishing, after sharing a few doughnuts he/she seemed quite comfortable sitting watching me fish..

Fox on the rocks..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joebassdude

Joebassdude Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's fantastic!!
    Inquisitive little thing

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice list Gary, i've seen those other than the basking shark, eagles and pine marten. Kingfishers are always lovely to see. I once saw a Porbeagle under lagvag at the mull. Less than 10 yards out and cruising on the surface. Amazing sight for certain. Loved watching the Minke whales at Skye last year as well.

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yea lovely to see the Kingfisher, seen a couple in the past. Yea also seen the Porbeagle Shark again at Lagvag, and one came to the surface and took a cod up in North East Scotland, Martin was just about to start lifting his cod up the Cliff when out of nowhere came a Porgie and grabbed it (awesome sight) and then proceeded to strip his reel of line and eventually spooled him.. Wish we had it on camera, we all just looked at each other and thought did that really just happen..lol.

So many fantastic times and sights whilst fishing...

Like your saying "Beaten paths are for beaten men." Too true Kev, nothing better than heading off the beaten path.

5. limpet

limpet Blenny

I love that side of fishing getting to see things you wouldn't normally see that stick in your memories as long as your fish,
    I've seen adders, lizard, otters mink stoat vole porpoise dolphin eagles buzzards peregrine to name a few, mostly all in Scotland unfortunately no pics

6. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Used to see Kingfishers up Saltersgill beck, but that was forty odd years ago.

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Seen foxes on many many occasions over the years on the scaurs they wait till the tide goes out then go straight down onto the rocks .

Allways remember one night coming off whitby scaure and climbing up into the gutt at saltwick nab which is about 10ft above the scaure when i climbed up onto the top a fiox was stood there only feet away stood and looked at me for about 20 seconds never batted an eyelid and just turned round and walked off i suppose it didnt feel threatened .

Another occasion i chuckle to myself when i think about i was fishing down iron spring north hawsker with andy crow from scarborugh we had both caught a codling each when i heard russtleing and turned round and my fishbag with a 5lb codling was being dragged away by a mink the mink was trying to drag my fishbag under a boulder i manged to get it to drop it and lucky i retreaved it fish still in it andy was laughing his head off untill till i said have you checked your bag no he said he went over to his bag to check if his fishbag was still there he shouted its hooking gone now you can imagine he chased that mink for half an hour but he still never retreaved his fishbag and his 3lb codling andy doesnt like minks any more.

paul.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Heres what Ive seen, obviously not all from the shore and not all at Whitby.

Dolphins
    Porpoise
    Kestrel
    Bonksey
    Golden Eagle
    Osprey
    Buzzards
    Kites
    Hooded crow
    Herons
    Cows (On top of our car)
    Mink
    Otters, both in the sea and in rivers.
    Dear
    Lots of foxes including babies
    Basking Shark
    Minke Whale
    Sea Eagles.
    House Martins actually nesting under ledges on cliffs (Not sand Martins).
    Kestrel on the cliffs with young.
    Sparrow Hawks
    Peregrine falcons ( I know of 2 nesting pairs on Yorkshire cliffs but not telling where).
    Seals (Awake)
    Seals (Asleep)
    Firecrest On the end of me rod
    Bats on lobbers line.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

We paddle and fish the Driffield Navigational occasionally. On most visits we see kingfishers, they dart ahead of us going from bush to bush, amazing colours. And with the close proximity of the fish farms we see lots of Herons. We even had a grass snake bathing in the sun above one of the lock gates - incidentally enough, called Snakeholm Lock.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A nice photo Gary of that fox , The memories came flooding back at that location , where the hell did the years go too ---- I have seen
    quite a lot of those on the list , a large porgie at my feet at Lagvag , minkie whales , porpoises , dolphins , basking sharks very close up
    in Luce bay , golden eagle , mink , and lots more

11. We have foxes living in our Garden and when out on Sea Otter 2 a Minke whale came and swan around us for 15 mins

Love wildlife

Cheers

U

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Haha bet Andy seen the funny side, good job it wasn't a match winning fish..

13. Baramundi Bob

The Whale and The Sea Otter

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/the-whale-and-the-sea-otter

14. Baramundi Bob

Dolphins At Kettleness

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10104.0

Attached Files:

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

He wasnt amused gary but did see the funny side of things after calming down if it had been a match winning fish well god only knows.

paul.

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I did see a humpback leap 6 times fully out of the water i had set my course from 9 mile grounds to the 10 mile grounds and had to change course as it leaped out of the water as i got closer and closer it was directly on my heading didnt fance 50 tons crashing down onto the sea-otter 1 not recomended.

There was another instance with a would say was something i probably wont ever see again i was fishing the oil rig jacket on the 18 mile about 10 years ago when in the distance i saw all this splashing it was a calm day and you could see a fair way this splashing was getting closer and closer the lads onboard also noticed it and said whats that splashing in the distance it wasnt till the whole thing got a little closer and then i could see just what was happening.
    It was biggist pack of dophins you could imagine going full speed probably 30-40mph litterally thousands of them the lads just stopped fishing watching them the pack was probably 600-800mtrs wide and the show lasted a couple of minuites and going at the speed they were just how many dolphins actually came past us it was incredible but what a sight it just would have been nice to have had an iphone in them days with the video on where they were going gods knows but they were defernetly a mission.

paul.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Don't forget that field mouse or whatever it was mooching around our bags on them massive rocks at white stones gary ;D ;D
    Yeah seen lots of wildlife whilst out and about , to many to list , birdwise I do have a few favs kingfishers are one of them , you can hear them coming a mile away with on the wing whistles n chirps . ive also witnessed them fighting which is rather dramatic .
    I don't know who I was with but I also seen a peregrine on local cliffs chasing pigeons , glancing viewing tho , it would be nice to see them more often .
    Yeah fishing for me is not all about catching fish its about being out there with the wildlife seeing things most don't see .

18. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking thread.
    Seen my fair share, but nowt to compare with BB's list or that dolphin story.
    Awesome.

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

;Dseen amny things like foxes wales ,seals shark many bird species, but one that spooked me was a wild goat ,
    i was at the five yard shot when i saw what i thought was a deer on the cliffs to the left,

i picked up my camera and went in pursuit of it , i sneaked along rocks and when i got where i thought i was near it i poped up with my camera ,
    it turned out to be a wild goat and put it,s head down and ran at me , i sh!t myself and ran like a mountain goat my self over the rocks

i turned round and it was stood 20 yds away ,it was a bloody close shave ,

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling