1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Boat Fishing Match - Catch Reports And Pictures Sea Otter 2 And Mistress

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Jun 18, 2013.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well the day arrived for our forum trip,what with recent reports saying the colour was getting better i had high hopes of a great day,

well i was up at 4am and on the road to Andy,s house ready for the off,
    and guess what ,i didn,t forget a thing whoo whoo :yes:,

John picked me up from Andys and off we went got to whitby for 5-30ish put the gear on board and went for breakfast ,full english of course ,

picked up some bait and bits and piece from WAS, and back aboard the boat,
    we saw Paul arrive ,(boy he looked rough) :vomit:,

both boats set of together for the marks, paul went a bit further south than us to start ,
    I was jigging hokias and chrome for ages but to no avail, while the lads on bait were picking fish up not hectic but with the odd spurt, a you lad of about 12 was first into a fish showing his dad how it was done ,and the more experienced among us as well :yes: finding the fish was quite hard but respect to Rich he tryed several wrecks all day long ,cod were scarce on our boat untill Dolphin started getting them on hollow belly shads quite late in the day ,

most fish fell to plain squid or baited hokia,s i missed a lot more than i caught as did one or two other,s but it was an enjoyable day, i was so knackred when i got home i had to take to day of work as well to recover ,

every one caught fish and Shadrap Andy was 3rd in the sweep with a ling over 11lb i had five ling and quite a few blegs to satisfy me , so all in all a good day was had even though the fish were hard to locate at times ,

thanks to Rich for doing his best now looking forward to the winter uptide doo, tight lines all ,Harry

2. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Re: Forum match on Mistress

Thanks for the report Harry, it was a strange day at sea wasn't it. There does seem to be a lot of fish marking on the wrecks but not many being boated. I am just wondering if the conditions below are not as clear as the top water ? That might explain the majority of fish falling to baited lures ? Anyway it does sound as though you all had a great day and a good craic which is of equal importance. Thanks for sharing.

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Whitby Fishing Forum Boat Match - Mistress And Sea Otter 2 Including Pictures

The day started a little later than anticipated due to paul not feeling 100% that day or so because of a bout of the lurgy! but we were soon away. we had similar ideas of where we wanted to be heading paul pushing a little further south.

we did a couple of wrecks and soon found a few fish from each, the fishing was slow (in comparison to last year) during the flood tide, as the tide eased we started nailing a good few fish each drift, the slack water period fished well too, as the ebb started we found a nice ball of fish that were taking shads so managed a few more cod from it, it wasnt long before it was home time the day had flown by.

it wasnt until later in the day on our way home that i realised we had had quite a successful day boating around 60 fish for the boat. many fish lost to fight another day too, i was well impressed with harry the cods catch and release strategy! if hed boated half the fish hed hooked hed have needed a JCB to get them off the boat!

In summary it was a great day to be afloat the weather gods certainly played ball with us, and some fantastic company. cheers guys
    Rich

and a few photos from the day . . . .
    Jack Vero settling the pace with a fine codling
    [​IMG]

Andy stonehouse gets stuck into the ling with his special lure . .
    [​IMG]

Jacks dad. John not to be outdone boats a super cod
    [​IMG]

Chris dolphin with a nice cod
    [​IMG]

Ian Alexander finds a cod on a pirk
    [​IMG]

Fishy Steve gets a nice cod too
    [​IMG]

these are only a few of the fish we caught I should have taken more snaps, hope you all enjoy them

Rich

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Sea -otter 2 forum trip some belters for the lads

Well with a cracking forcast sunny no wind flat calm what more could you want to go sea fishing and the lads were well up for it i was feeling a bit rough with nasty bout of flu but i didnt want to let the lads down i had one wreck in mind where i thought we could nail some quality fish this wreck has served me very well in the past all the lads got some good sized cod but it mark gohannessen who hit the jackpot with 2 lovelly cod 11lb and 13lb to take 1st and 2nd heaviest in the forum competition mark was a very happy chappy i think all the lads enjoyed there day i took some snaps of all the lads the lads ended up with 80-90 fish so not to bad .

The results for top 3 heaviest fish between Mistress and Sea -Otter 2

1st Mark Gohannessen cod 12lb 1oz Sea-otter 2

2nd Mark Gohannessen cod 11lb Sea -otter 2

3rd Andy Stonehouse ling 8lb 12oz Mistress

Mark got these two belters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those two belters for mark.

[​IMG]

paul.

5. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Re: Whitby Fishing Forum Match - Mistress Pictures

Well done Rich - and all the guys - looks like a fine day! Wish I could have been there this year but Mondays are not really good days for me to take off work :wink:

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

well done lads and to rich for finding them some cracking fish caught Chris the Dolphin with a fish ? which ones the Fish ? :laugh: :laugh: old harry can catch a few the last time he was on my boat he was bagging up that why he hasn`t been on it since tightlines Alain

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Re: Sea -otter 2 forum trip some belters for the lads

some cracking fish caught well done lads and to paul for finding them tight lines Alain

8. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice day mate,enjoyed it shame you werent feeling very good.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

A great day out Paul- and big respect for not giving in to the flu!
    The sail beyond Robin Hoods and Ravenscar alone was fantastic.
    Some top angling went on- need to get more of those radioactive Berkley shads though.....

10. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sea -otter 2 forum trip some belters for the lads

Some great fish there Paul! Looked a cracking day

11. trout and salmon

trout and salmon a silver salmon would be nice

Thanks for a great day out Paul looking forward to July now hope we can get into some more good fish

12. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

Well done to the lads and paul for finding some quality fish, Summer now is surley here at last :happy:.

Hope you are over the worst of it now Paul, looking forward to friday with you, for once the forecast looks spot on, fingers crossed. Was it mainley shads or bait that took the fish Paul?

Cheers Jason

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Bait took most of the best fish quite a few on shads but it can all change shads are normally dynomite at this time of year but they still havent quite got into gear yet but it wont be long.

paul.

14. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Brilliant day out Rich and as you say young Jack certainly held his own catching some nice cod.

60 fish might have been a conservative estimate .

The weather was as good as the company and it was another great event.

Many thanks to yourself and Paul for organising it and putting up some cash for the prizes.

15. Markj

Markj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Forum boat trip

When Paul initially put up the post for this years forum trip i got my name down straight away. 1 because i wanted to meet some of the lads from the site and 2 have the chance of learning a bit more about wrecking/boat fishing.

I had my alarm set for 03:20 but you know what it's like!!! bloody 46 years old and like a kid on xmas eve still,shameful,the missus thinks i'm a frigging lunatic. Anyway on the road at 3am!!!!!

Now i drove upto whitby Monday morning with a heavy heart,i have been out with Paul about 10-12 times over the last 4 years with my boat fishing buddy Terry who sadly past away last year,so i was a bit choked.

Once in Whitby i had the obligatory full english from arbuts cafe and i was set.

Got down to the boat and helped on by Jethro(nice to meet you and thanks). Paul was a bit late,he did'nt look to good but fair play to you mate for turning up and seeing out the day.

My fishing started real slow using various shads and i then eventually put on a rubbard&custard and almost instantly started picking up fish inbetween losing rigs and shads to the wreck at an alarming rate.

I have caught double figure cod from the shore but never from a boat but this was about to change. I dropped my shad and caught the wreck again(it was definately the wreck) i tried for a good minute to get it out and all i can think of was that the cod took my shad and freed me up or i freed it up and the cod took straight away,my rod just arched over and i knew it was a good fish,dave was at hand with the net and paul got a picture,well chuffed.

I then proceeded to lose 6 rigs on the bounce and did'nt get another fish for over an hour whilst the other boys were bagging up. The tide had now slackened and Pauls advice was to get on bait. sent a whole squid down and within 30 seconds rod nearly pulled from my hand,surely not 2 doubles in one day!!! Yep 11 pounder and what a scrap,thought it was a good pollack on it's initial dive,who said cod don't fight,i beg to differ.

Think i ended up with nearly 60lb of fish mostly cod. I did'nt even know it was a match until paul said the fish could be worth a few quid.

I want to thank Paul and Rich for organising a great day,top blokes,also the lads on board both boats,top blokes and i was chuffed about winning,not the money but having fished with such a high calibre and class of angler.

Cheers Mark.

Even though i spoke to a few of the guys,which one was bucko and the lad at the back of the boat next to lobsterman are you related to paul by any chance,uncanny resemblance.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Re: Forum match on Mistress

96 and one foo, :crazy:

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Canny day Rich , it was certainly great day out on you boat once again,
    i just wish i had sharper hooks :laugh: :laugh: think i would have cleaned up ,

i can not say enough how hard you tried to get us on the fish , you are a top man,
    and the sarnies at the presentation was a bonus :canadian: :canadian:,

next stop the winter up tide for me , think i will give up on the jigging my bloody back hurts , think i am too old for that lark ,

it was all so nice to see some old pals from the forum ,Ian i think you must be quite happy in your life , think you have put a couple of pounds on mate :laugh: :laugh: as have we all , looking forward to next winter trip , tight lines all x x x, :embarrass:

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Canny report Paul, hope you are over the worst of your flu, you did look a bit ropey ,
    no doubt your party were glad you managed to find a few fish for them ,

well done to you all . :cool:

19. foo

Excellent fishing everyone and great pics. Those smiles are worth more than a thousand words. Top Respect for soldiering on and finding the fish Paul.

20. foo

Great stuff, looks like everyone had a cracking day. The young lad is now totally hooked for life, what an experience for him, Nice one Rich.