1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock - Yorkshire Pollack Fishing

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by newdave, Jun 23, 2010.

1. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Re: A few more Pollocks

well done lads some nice fish once again keep up the good reports with the good pics enjoy reading about your pollock expeditions :happy:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking report guys, some excellent fishing there. How come you seem to have a flat calm sea and clear conditions on the same day we have mucky water and white caps up here?! :confused:

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

It looked lovely all the way down the coast this morning sam ,i was at rhb first call and it looked perfect.....

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff lads. I love the pic of Dave with the pollack.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I was out in front of Hornsea about a mile and a half when I got the call from Spawney on Thursday asking what I was doing Friday. So when he mentioned having a go for the pollock I was fired up and just hoped Rob was allowed out to play for the day as we'd already planned to go to Flamborough. He was good oh !
    Plans confirmed we got away nice and early, the wind was exactly as windguru had forecast very slight nw to start with and the sea like glass when got to the launch site.

I really enjoyed having a dabble for the elusive sandeel in the bay but all we could manage was string fulls of small billet and pollock, with the huge cliffs of Ravenscar to one side and Robinhoods bay to the other I was having a real 'Anglers Moon' moment feeling like Leo Walmsley rowing 'The Captain' out to the whiting grounds as we pushed out and onwards to where Dave said we would get into the pollock.

Having fished under those cliffs many times it was the first time from a kayak down there for me and the place takes on a whole new magic when seen from the seaward side and I noted a good few likely deep holes as well that showed on the sounder all well within a good boomsmash out from the shore ! :wink:

The seals as Rob says, they just about climb up the side of the yak they are so inquisitive !
    [​IMG]
    No idea what that one was after :laugh:

The method Dave showed us of slow trolling a jelly was new to me and after a few unsuccessful trolls I lost some gear and was getting a bit disallusioned with the method , until suddenly the tip gave a couple of twitches and then just banged over as if I d caught bottom, Only the bottom was alive ! after a spirted scrap a small pollock of about 3lb was onboard. At last after four seasons my first kayak pollock !

We pulled in after that onto Blea Wyke scar for some lunch a leg stretch and a good natter, was great to catch up with Dave as we haven t been fishing together for some time plus I was picking his brains about sea kayaking as well. Thanks matey was really good to catch up on things, been too long lets not leave it thay way again :cool:

So fully refreshed I rigged up a 6" black with red tail eddystone eel and punched out through the swells that were standing up as the flood began to push through.

I dropped down right where the scar dropped off to 40ft and no sooner had the lead hit bottom and the tip was round, this time though I had a right scrap on, diving and running a good three or powerful unstoppable runs and eventually with a big smile on my face I pulled a lovely bronzed flanked 6lb fish up out of the water.
    I dropped back down and this time it was hit on the way down with a fish of the same size. I had another one on the artificial and then decided I would rig up a float .
    I set up the float with a drilled bullet to a swivel the float and beads above and set the float stop knot to about 25ft depth. To the bottom swivel I attached a 20lb mono hook length about 6ft in length so that it would be fluttering in the tide about 5ft from the bottom.

Rob was next to me when I flicked out the frozen sandeel bait and as we were nattering I watched the float suddenly glide away downwards ! For a moment I just sat staring at it in disbelief that it went so quickly as we were unsure the frozen bait would produce.
    After another spirited scrap with dives and lunges another fish around the 5lb mark was brought to the surface.
    Rob also rigged up a float and I gave him some sandeels, he was soon into a good fish as well.
    [​IMG]

We both had a good few fish all like peas in a pod of over 5lb one after the other on a tight patch of ground that came up from 35ft to 19ft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As the sea lifted with the tide and the breeze swinging round to the south east the action just switched and after several long trolls and drifts we realised that it was over , at least for that day.

I must say that I love taking a couple of fish for the pot and I took two from my catch , but the scrap these fish give and the fact that they are residents to the area, I got a lot of pleasure from a quick "thankyou" and then watching as the powerful fish swam back to the depths to live and fight another day. Really good sport and so not worth taking them all.

We bid our goodbyes to Dave as Rob and I had decided to paddle back to Boggle Hole, dive into the van and dash down to Flamborough .
    We of course had the obligatory pint of cider in the Caravel Bar at North Landing before the second launch of the day.
    We should really have called it a day though, the sea was nice but the early ebb was not pushing hard enough. The fish were there as we bumped plenty off but they were just not having it.
    I managed two takers in the end and after a further hard three hours working numerous drifts we called it a day and slogged back up the slope knackered.

I ve got up this morning feeling like I ve been run over by a steam train, I was meant to go bait digging for tomorrow but no way !

Anyway a very very big thankyou to Spawney for putting us on the fish and sharing his method, I hope he tries our float method as well as watching that float dive is really exciting.

Cheers Dave.

My two better fish now being prepared for todays tea.
    [​IMG]

Jellyworm.

6. Baramundi Bob

[​IMG]

What a classic shot that is. Superb report guys, shame more people dont go to a similar effort to share their days out with us.

7. Baramundi Bob

Re: forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock

I merged your topic so I could link to it all in one place. (Sorry!!!)

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there Dave, as long as the frozen sandeels have been kept properly and are not showing blood around the gills { a sure sign they
    havent been kept right } frozen sandeel is a very good bait for pollack and other spieces , of course if you could get some live ones while you are out in the yak things might even get better , as i have said mounting a frozen sandeel on a pin is a very good way of doing business with usually less missed bites and the bait stays on better

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

some very nice pollack there lads, just goes to show if you dont have a go you never will know. :cool:

10. newdave

newdave Guest

could you exsplain that one please Cliff, I do like float fishing but did not have muc confidence in frozen bait, obviously my mistake :yes:

every time i try for fresh sandeels i seem to catch billet, there seems to have been a population exsplosion in these little chaps recently
    [​IMG]
    had yet another go this morning, meeting up with Ramrod, who had emptied all the compost from his p13 hanging basket & ordered an early wakeup call for 05:00. for the benifit of Sam & Dav thats the five oclock before breakfast :tease:
    flat clear seas again & we launched from the north bay & madeour way up to Cloughton, I trailed a plug & managed this straight away
    [​IMG]
    that was the first of the year for me & was followed by one more before we got to the pollock grounds. once up there we were joined by the Moleman who had climbed down the cliff with his yak in order to save a 3 mile paddle & a parking ticket :yes:
    managed a small pollock, but the freshening wind was a bit concerning as i was still feeling the effects of two hard paddles this week so decided to stretch my legs then start back,
    [​IMG]
    not long after i got going i got a call from Ramrod to say that the firetail had done the business with a nice 7 lber. by the time i got back to the beach it was very fresh and i guessed correctly that there would be two yaks getting hauled up Cloughton :whatever:

feeling a bit knackered now so I Think i will give it a miss tomorrow :yes:

11. robq

robq Rockling

Another go today dave :surprise: :surprise:

You are hardcore !! I am a bit stiff in the shoulders today :tired:

Looking forward to a bit of mop bashing from the rocks tomorrow before the footy though :happy:

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Them early starts must get easier Dave when your over 40 ....Us young bucks need our beauty sleep.... :cheesy: :cheesy:
    I am not suprised your knackered :surprise:....you must be a machine Im not complaining tho your posts make for great reading , Its about time ramrod emptied his yak of plants and bagged a good pollock..... :cheesy:
    Cheers

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Spawney's is a machine Dav just hope I,m like that in 20 years :whistle: Really enjoyed the day with Dave, not seen him much lately and i realized yesterday how much further ahead of the field he is, in yakking and fishing technique. There's still so much to learn in this game, and remembering my camera is a priority :nerd: Quint,s another machine. He had his yak up Cloughton and loaded onto his car before I had my bling packed away into my everything-under-a-pound broken zipped bag :laugh: Our lass dropped me off in Scar and picked me up without the rope to tie my yak Think i left it on top of the car when unloading but those drogues really come in handy in an emergency :laugh: managed another pollack between 4 and 5 and spent a lot of time chasing "boil-ups" and being washed by the north sea. Foul hooked a launce for my float fishing :surprise: but before I could say "where the f***s Quint gone with his yak" it had disappeared down the scupper hole :cry: re-potting my asters now in anticipation of the next trip !

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Go get em Dave ,before you know it you will be in the premier division with spawny and ken,
    :wink: with 5am start,s, :wounded: and all that :whistle:

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock - Yorkshire Pollack Fishi

You can still beat me up Birdash Ray, you must know all the footholds by heart :educated: plus you are quite fearless, I was heading into the bay as it was getting quite snotty and thought another notch or 2 and it would be too rough, I saw the boil up a way off and though no leave it had enough arse nipping episodes, but saw you heading off to it like a sailor that's just spotted the whore house :surprise:

Think Old Spawneymeister gonna be buried in his yak, I'm sure he's got an electric motor somewhere in his hull

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:suspious: maybe you're right, I don't ache to day but another day on my floating flora would be out of the question, I was knackered last night :tired: The Spawney Sportster was out the day before our early morning jaunt :suspious: I think I need to shape up a bit so I've booked a grand prix for around lunchtime and football match a little later :whistle: where I will no doubt be kicking the ball for 120 min then will miss a vital penelty :cry:

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I did a bit on bait pins last year, get a piece of wire with a bit of tensile strength not to thick between 4 and 5 inches long i sometimes use the
    stainless stuff, make a shall loop in one end of the wire just large enough for the hook barb to pass through it , on your trace line put a piece
    of cotton bud sleeve or similar, all you do is put the wire pin onto the hook, push the pin through the full lengh of the sandeel head first, then bring the pin up alongside the trace line and push the piece of cotton bud over the end of the pin trapping the eel on the pin, so when you think about it ------ there is no bait on the hook itself, the hook is the first thing the fish takes the way it is mounted . if you have the eels hanging
    below the hook its very easy to get bites that just leave the eel head or tail on the hook, for those that dont fancy the pins and i cant understand why , if you hook the eel through the head then put a half hitch around the eels tail this works quite well

18. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello.

This post has been a cracking read with great photos, thanks for sharing Spawney, Jellyworm and the lads. Great stuff!! :yes:

Regards Ian

19. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic report and read well done to all.

20. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb report guys and some cracking pictures.Fishing from the yaks is proving the true potential of this area and you guys certainly do your bit to keep pushing the boundaries and show the way.Excellent stuff :yes: :yes: