1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock - Yorkshire Pollack Fishing

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by newdave, Jun 23, 2010.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Re: forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock

Top top fishing Dave well done

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Good lad Dave well done, sounds like a better and cheaper method than using plugs for them

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

We got some nice jellyworms in iain also some small lead heads

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done guys. It has been said before, but maybe pollack are a match for bass in fighting terms ?

The Jellyworm option is certainly cheaper than loosing £10 plugs, but the problem at one of the bass marks I fish is that the bigg pollack are in the same place so stopping them taking the plugs is difficult. Having lost £50 worth of plugs in a couple of days last year I can tell you its very frustrating.

5. newdave

newdave Guest

perhaps the answer is to try the jellyworms in your favourite Bass/pollock marks, maybe you will get the Bass on the cheap option ?

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Never thought of it like that. Nice suggestion. I guess your in a position to answer this question Dave, How does a 7 pound pollack compare to a 7lb bass ??

7. newdave

newdave Guest

[​IMG]
    :wink:

I would say that the Bass probably wins in that it fights longer & runs, but they are easier to land as they rarely try to dive, wheras the pollock is intent on getting to the safety of the kelp. If you know were I can catch 30 5lb bass in a session let me know will you Glenn :laugh:

8. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

A super days fishing Dave, was hoping for some of that up at the tag :laugh:, well not so far to go now.

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

totally agree with the title dave.

some awsome fishing there, hoping to bag a few myself at the weekend

10. foo

Can Yorkshire compete with the mull for shore caught Pollock though ? I only ask as I dont own a yak.

11. woody

woody New Member

nice one lads great to see !!!!

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As i said before some great fishing there , but the difference between the mull and north yorkshire is you can have the same fantastic sport
    from the shore at the mull , you cant in north yorks , if only

13. newdave

newdave Guest

A good few of those were caught within range of the shore, probably would require a slightly different technique to the mull, but i was thinking of the long rod with a barrel lead & a jellyworm. only drawback for me is the bloody climb :yes:

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

The only thing i can think that would hinder us fishing for pollock from the shore at alot of our marks is the lack of depth and the ground , altho im sure there will be a few marks that would fish well . Like the brigg and a few piers for instance....

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Sounds like you had a top fishing session Dave :surprise: you've eventually inspired me to get my yak out this weekend :laugh: so get ready for a boring fishless post from me shortly :canadian:

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Not true - even fishless posts are interesting!! :)

17. foo

100% Agreed :canadian: :yes: :laugh: :laugh:

18. newdave

newdave Guest

A few more Pollocks

filled with confidence after the last session I had another go at the RHB pollock today, a couple of rare guests from the south were kitting up when i arrived (jelly & Robq)
    so we paddled out together & stopped in the bay to try for some Sandeels, unfortunetly nothing but baby billet. so tried the same tactics again. I got of to a flyer with a small pollock followed with a nice fish just under 6lb.
    [​IMG]
    but the fishing was nothing like as hectic as the last attempt & we headed ashore for lunch. Rob & Dave rigged float gear as they had some frozen bait & we headed back out
    Jellly was straight into a good5lb + fish on the firetails
    [​IMG]
    they then both had a couple of similer stamp on float, & a few more on jellys kicking my ass, then they headed of to go for a Cod session at Flamborough :yes:
    fishing was not as good as the last effort, but i landed 9 & lost as many, the lads had a few more, the sun was shining & the sea calm , and we got to catch up on some gossip :cool:
    [​IMG]

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Re: A few more Pollocks

Top fishing lads....

20. robq

robq Rockling

Re: A few more Pollocks

Thanks for all the info dave :cool: :cool:

I really enjoyed today,it made a refreshing change of scenery :yes:

The fishing (although not up to standard you had a few days back) was awesome :surprise:

I finished with 8 pollack including 3 around the 6lb mark :happy: :happy:

It was great to learn and try a few different techniques too and I can say that the float gear will be getting used again.

One of my better fish
    [​IMG]

To say that the seals were in abundance is an understatement !! there are bloody hundreds of them down there !!
    [​IMG]

eventually one grabbed a small pollack that I hooked and gave me 30 seconds of steam train type action before it let go :scared:
    [​IMG]

Cheers again Dave