1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock - Yorkshire Pollack Fishing

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by newdave, Jun 23, 2010.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

Couldn't face an afternoon watching football, so met up with Ken for a days fishing at RHB, whilst we were getting afloat this lot arrived, obviously Tractur man dod like football either :whistle:
    [​IMG]
    we started at long hole, just a few drifts burt it was slow with a few small pollock & billet so being a lovely day we headed out to the Wall, well not quite but 4 miles off to a wreck which was also fishless :angry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then headed to another wreck which was equally barren whilst Ken moved inshore.
    After about 12 miles nonstop paddling & not much to show, I paddled to shore & had lunch in Staintondale & gave myself pep talk. Ken had reported a decent pollock about 5lb, so i put a jellyworm on a long trace and went for a mooch around the rock edges. what followed was the best 2 hour pollock session I have had anywhere :yes: , I lost count but it must have been close to 50 with 60% of those above 4lb, I weighted one of the better ones at 7lb 8oz with another at least as big, plus loosing a double. with the water like glass I really wish I had taken a float rig & some bait but a super afternoon. Summer is here :yes: :yes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the fish went back as I really dont care much for it as a table fish, but for fun they take some beating :yes:
    I really do think we have some astounding pollock fishing in our area & I have learned a bit more about it from mixing with the likes of Lozz & Lindisfarne, hopefully a double with my name on it this summer

2. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: MOG forget it, Yorkshires the place for Pollock

Some outstanding pollock fishing

3. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant report and some great photo's! :happy:

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Dave ,they certainly give you a run for your money, you had a few good specimen,s there.
    i am sure you that you will get that double this season, be prepared for the fight of your life from a double figure pollack :yes:

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great fishing Dave

6. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: forget the Mull, Yorkshires the place for Pollock

well done m8

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Good fishing there lads

8. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds like a good two hours with some very nice fish love pollock fight like hell.

9. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 guys................

10. langy

langy Rockling

nice one dave, there a good fighting fish like you said ;)

Tight Lines..Langy

11. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Cracking Pollack there Dave...

12. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Absolute belters they are Dave, well done !

I know where I'm fishin at the Scarborough match now.............. :butt: :butt:

Neil.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well done Dave cracking report and session. I hope the weather for Friday so I can get out for a bash somewhere. :cool:

14. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Sounds like a load of Pollacks to me Dave,get a life find football :surprise::nice catch mate :yes:

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now that is some quality fishing there Dave, well done! I'm surprised how flat that sea is, it's been blowing a decent wind all day up this way :confused: did intend to fish this evening but decided against it, good call as I could see the white caps from my house!

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Excellent fishing Dave... Looks some good fish there , I was thinking about just using a drilled bullet and trace of maybe 3 or 4 ft to a jelly worm when fishing for pollock from the yak , and maybe casting it letting it sink then slowly retrieving it , just like we do it from the rocks , would this be a way to target them from the yak and how would you fish a live sandeel ? just free line with no weight ? i think i remember glen saying thats how he does it ? Cheers....

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done dave :yes:

18. newdave

newdave Guest

I dont see why the same tactics you use from the shore wouldnt work but,
    I actually copied the way I have seen Lindisfarne fish for Pollock only simpler, a clip swivel with a 5oz lead & a very long trace (7ft) with a jellyworm attached to the same clip. you dont really need to cast, I was just lowering to the bottom then paddle slowly sort of trolling it or drfting if the tide was moving you quick enough. The long trace seemed to fool the fish as the bites were gentle & the big dive only came when I tighten up.

19. robq

robq Rockling

Nice report and great pics dave :cool:

Some food for thought there on methods as we are heading out for some pollack tomorrow :happy:

20. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Pollack can make a very nice supper, cooked fresh. I like fillets fried over chopped peppers in butter. Cooks very gently, with the aroma of the peppers going into the fish. Cooked it once when we were camping in Ireland this way, and my better half declared to be the best fish she'd ever eaten. ;-)

Well done on the fish - must explore that bit around RHB myself a bit more.