1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

folding crabpots

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by mick webster, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi lads, has anyone had anything to do with folding crab pots, does anyone on the forum make or sell them? do they need to be weighted? any info appreciated, were going to North Berwick for 3 weeks in June and i fancy having a go for crabs.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i dont know much abotu the pots but make sure you have a license mick

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

we sell loads in whitby angling. they're 4.99 each.

they do need to be weighted and are supposed to be for crayfish but i know a few places where people use them in the sea.

you need a licence tho for the sea which you can get for free off the net. im not sure which site i think its NESFA.

good luck

4. mick webster

Thanks Matty and Dan, i will pop over to Whitby for one!

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick what do you mean ( ill pop over for one) with all the cash jobs youve had you should buy 6 tight git me and rich hope to go over to whitby this weekend i bring you 10 back with us you can then have a few spare just as well the licence is for nowt see yer Alain

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I use them down my local beck, some tw@t releases signals into it so i try and keep the numbers down

7. mick webster

Hi Gadget, what are signals mate?

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

American crayfish mick
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_crayfish
    Theyve been introduced in many rivers around here, but last year was the first time i saw them in our beck.
    They are a big problem, so i do what i can to keep their numbers down

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Must be real painful making a nice meal of them as well Dan :laugh:

I want to chuck a couple in the humber for shrimp and that, anyone know if the license covers the humber?

The license is free by the way!

10. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi mick. i've been using folding crab pots for a few years now -i started off with the cheap ones .but i now use the big folding ones from intertex trading-they advertise in sea angler-they are expensive at £ 21 when i bought them 3 years ago but i would sooner use one of them as opposed to 2 or3 cheep ones which don't last 5 mins the zips disintergrate very quickly and also are not up to pulling doggers and undersize edibles and lobsters out (the net and stitching easily tears) - i weigh my pots down with 4 12oz sinkers tie rapped to each bottom corner- also it is a good idea to weave some strong rope around the framework where it takes a bit of a bashing - these pots have even caught conger to 15lbs and i myself have had small codling and some big eels in them- but like previously mentioned you must get a licence( free from n.e fisheries at bridlington-for this area anyway)-don't know about further afield-you are also only allowed up to 10 pots and 2 lobsters a day and 10 crabs (velvets as well as edibles (combined) also you need a measure for the lobsters (not compulsary) - happy potting

11. mick webster

Thanks for all your replies lads, best thing i ever did joining this forum!

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Aye they are a bugger to get off when they lock on your fingers :wounded: taste nice though

13. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

Signals looked tasty to me.
    Whats the difference between the native and introduced ones regarding taste??

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Never tried, or even seen the native ones. I think they might be protected anyway

15. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick Webster you only joined the forum cos you dident have to your hand in your pocket tight git and i hope the only crabs you catch are the one anybody can catch in york on a saturday night out Ha Ha

16. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There was a character called Leakey from Settle who used to make all kinds of folding traps. He always used to have a stand at Earls Court Boat show flogging his stuff to Yachtsmen etc. No commercial fishermen ever rated folding traps, despite Leaky's claims.

17. bucko

bucko New Member

About £2000 in fines!
    Wouldn't know but if in any doubt about what might end up in your traps shot them back and go to 'Aldi' where they do big tubs of crayfish tails for £2.
    The natives really are in trouble and sadly I think they will eventually vanish.

18. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

ave a read of leo warmsley's' phantom lobster' ,it's all about fold up lobster pots

19. mick webster

Ive' read all them Brigg, absolutely brilliant mate!

20. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I took one to wales on holiday to catch some prawns for bait used a whole mackerel for bait, ended up with a 4lb bass the next morning! :happy: