1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fly Fishing Venue Review Website

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Fishing Website Reviews And Links' started by Fishy Rich, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

2. bucko

bucko New Member

If you are starting to get the fly bug Rich then ask away in the main freshwater section- the lads on here are familiar with Wykeham, Lockwood, Scaling and Leighton to name but a few and can put you firmly in the right direction.

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

cheers for that mate, id just like to get back into it after a few years break since i moved to the coast. its interesting to find out what fisheries there are locally for trout and pike.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Well mate- I dare say one or two of here will be out opening weekend in March.
    I'm thinking of Lockwood and you're more than welcome to come along- just bring a nice bag of pork pies from Landers and I'll sort you with a few winning fly patterns :wink:

5. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

thanks, that sounds like a plan, what date does it open? im back home on the 24th feb till 10th march. ive heard that lockwood is quite a good water, ive had a browse of the website, it put me off a bit though when i saw they allow bait to be fished. im well looking forward to crackin on with the fly fishing this year, ill be busy come summer but im sure there will be days or evenings i can get to wet a line. cheers, Rich

6. bucko

bucko New Member

It opens on the 6th March mate. It is fly only between then and the end of October and once the nights draw back a bit the evening tickets are good value. Last time I had one was the last week in September with Davo who posts on here and I had ten rainbows with the best being around 12lb (the fishery reckoned 15lb) but in the absence of scales and a camera I'd rather go for the more modest estimate.
    Given the right conditions Scaling can fish really well too- give me a day in late May- late September with a warm westerly and cloud cover on there and I'll fish with great confidence.

7. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

ive been looking on the site already, opening day has my appetite propper whetted now. are there any patterns i should look to have, or will the usual vivas, montanas, cats whiskers, fritz, etc do the business. it said they were getting the fish to floating lines last year early on, just treated mesel to a new floating cortland which im buzzing to get wet. ive never caught a trout on a buzzer pattern so its one thing ill be putting a bit of effort in to learn this season, but i wouldnt of thought that will be till it warms up a bit. it will be good to meet a few people off here too, you have my number at the bottom of my page profile, would appeciate if you could give us a buzz, say on the friday and well make some arrrangements, cheers Rich

8. bucko

bucko New Member

No bother Rich- will give you a call on the Friday.
    I'd stick with the flies you've mentioned- maybe add goldhead hares ears in there.

With regard to the floating/sinking line issue I can't recall the last time I used a sinker on a stillwater. With weighted flies and long leaders you can generally get down to the fish in all but the worst conditions.

9. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

okey dokey mate ill look forward to it, think i have a gold head hares ear, gonna have to dig out my old tying kit and see what stuff i have left in it and get a few lures knocked up. is there anywhere local that stocks materials etc, gonna need a new landing net too! (hopefully :canadian: ) theres some bonny fish on that site, think my biggest is only about 5lb 12oz.

10. bucko

bucko New Member

I think Rods & Reels have a small amount of tying kit- otherwise the nearest I can think of is Keiths in Saltburn.
    As for a landing net- I got a beauty from Whitby Angling for about £12- its had double figure fish in it and last me about four seasons.