1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

whats the best stop knot for float fishing as its the only thing im inconsistant with when float fishing?

thanks

Dan

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3. newdave

newdave Guest

second that Ben, I am a novice to float fishing but the powergum seems to work well.

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I normally just use a few granny knots when using powergum but I'll try that knot you put up there Ben, should hold a bit better. Cheers :happy:

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice simple knot ill give it ago

i usually use elastic bands but they never seem to stay on ar stay at the set depth for very long

6. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah I dont really trust the laggy band method, slips too easily
    once you get the powergum knot sorted then you can chuck it on pretty quickly, also you get a lot of powergum in one roll so it should last you a good amount of time

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

another vote for powergum and that knot here

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

Yep, powergums definately the way to go for stop knots. I use a similar knot to the one shown but leave slightly longer tag ends than shown in the photos, as the knot can sometimes open out when you move it up and down the line. Don't forget a small bead between float and stop knot.

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

its always worthwhile putting 2 stop knots on one above your float and one below , just above your trace swivel along with a small bead
    if you then lose your trace you usually dont lose your float :yes: :yes::

10. NorthWind

NorthWind New Member

Another advantage of a small powergum stop-knot is that it seems to pass through the rod rings easily when fishing with a long drop from the float to hook. I have often fished with a drop of over 20 foot using this knot and it winds onto the fixed spool and casts out again fine.
    Go for the lighter 10lb version for float fishing.
    Also makes a strong and reliable bait stop above a sequin on a hook snood.