1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

float fishing succes at last

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

I have had a few attempts at float fishing & had not yet managed to land a fish although loosing a very good Bass a few weeks back had got me determined to sort it out. today i decided to take some lessons from a master & headed to Whitby to meet up with BB for an afternoon session.
    launched from Coats slip & we paddled out to bellbouy were we thought we might get some sandeels, unfortunately nothing but Gurnards for BB & a weaver(5 pts) for me :whatever: tried closer in & i got a couple of mackerel so put them away for later & went for a bit of a troll down to Saltwick & back, managed a couple of Coalies & pollock.

back at the East pier we tried the mackerel strip but no takers, so round to the to the west & still no joy, so i stuck the rod in the rest & dropped my sabiki rig in again & straight away had 3 launce :happy: so we put the floats away & fished hard for sandeels managing more than 20 & I had a small Garfish drop of at the yak :sad:

so we split the spoils & headed back to the rock scaurs. 2 minutes & my float disappeared but i missed the fish & 1 eel gone :angry: this happen a couple more times, so obviously time for a rethink, Glenn Suggested that i give the fish more time & let it take it well down. I also made up a fixed pennel with two circle h ooks, 3/o in the chin & a 2/0 nicked in the belly.
    next cast same again & this time i counted to 3 flipped the bail arm over & started to reel. Voila :happy: a nice coalie just below 2lb & perfectly lip hooked,

[​IMG]
    followed with another & then a Pollock
    [​IMG]
    the action was pretty frantic for awhile, Glenn was catching steadily as well & we both got smashed by good pollock, so the next lesson is to use a bit heavier hook lenght :yes:
    once i got to grips with the method, I hardly missed a bite all were lip hooked & i was getting the eel back as well, the last 6 sandeels caught about 3 fish each :yes:

A really enjoyable day & i cant wait to take this method to a place that i know has some massive Pollock,

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads,

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Looks like a good day and found a good window in the weather, cannot beat watching a float - nice if it dips under now and then too. :happy:

Ken

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Dave & Glenn, float fishing is a great way to fish and I plan to do plenty more of it from now on.

5. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice one lads :yes: would be nice to get a monster pollack on a float setup !!

since supersonic put the idea in my head ive now order'd some floats off ebay and am planning on having a go nextime off the brigg (hopefully i can catch some sandels again !!) !!
    ive also just got a couple of lures a chug bug surface popper and a rapala skitterpop sp7 to try ....ive never used anything like this before so could be interesting !!

thats what i like about this site great reports and encouragment to try something different

tight lines ......mick

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A really enjoyable day and I learnt a lot. Anyone who has float fished for mackerel off the piers at Whitby will tell you its very frustrating as you need to hit the float the instant it goes under otherwise you will often miss your fish. Quite the opposite seems to be true for coalies and pollack. The longer you can leave it for these species the better (At least this seems to be the way from the kayak, not sure what the shore lads think ?).

Something I noted with my pollack from Sandsend last week was that it also seems to be a good idea to leave the bail arm off whilst the fish takes the float. The fish seems to take the float down very slowly (Again opposite to makerle where it all happenes at a pace), and Im pretty sure they have no idea they have been hooked so they dont dart off for the bottem as they do when you get them when trolling. Anyway I just let the float go down slowly, counted to 4 and then hit into them.

So yet another great days fishing. The trolling bucket was top notch and Ive now ordered one.

7. Baramundi Bob

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done fellas, top fishing :yes:

Float fishing has got to be my favourite type of fishing at the moment. I loved using that method for pollock up the mull and really enjoyed it from the Yak the other night. Will be having another go as soon as I can get out again

9. Baramundi Bob

The only downside of the day for me was snapping off a decent fish. Most of the fish we hooked were 1-2 pound but the one that got away was another special fish. I was leant back on the kayak to stop it pulling me over, the rod was in the water right up to the butt and the lunges continued. I just thought I had got the better of it and then it all went pair shaped. The fish snapped 20lb sylcast snood line. o next time out its upto 30lb snoods.

10. Baramundi Bob

The trolling bucket in the water

[​IMG]

11. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

hi, i was just wondering how you guys catch launce for bait, cause id love to have a go myself. Do you find them on the fishfinder, or just drop sabikis down anywhere?

Thanks
    Phil

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

we always use 30 lb mono snoods and after getting a pollack check your snood near the hook any doubts change it over the years it has
    cost us good fish by not doing this also moving your float a few feet will very often result in a POLLACK take , drift lining for them can also be good fun :yes:

13. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

looks like you had a good day lads, i love float fishing,frustrating it may be. Haven't had a go at it this year due to the weather and scarceness of mackerel.
    One thing i have found that stops you missing as many bites is attaching a Small treble below the hook on an inch or so of braid. Then hook the sprat(or eel) through the head on the main hook,and nick one point of the treble into the baits flank.
    Its amazing how many fish are hooked on the treble

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes it,s best to let your float dip well under when shore fishing for the pollack,don,t strike to early ,some of my best pollack have come when i have been distracted and not realised my float has gone well under :yes:

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Must be the way forward, especially for those better fish. I love float fishing too and sometimes after work bobbing around sounds quite appealing instead of constantly paddling :ugly: Hope we get a nice summer next year :whistle:

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Havent you heard about the heat wave were suposodly getting raymond.... :crazy:

Yeah good fishing lads......

17. newdave

newdave Guest

Barbecue summer :laugh: :laugh:

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,ll be shore fishing next week so those yaks will be nowt but a nuisance, and they clean all the fish out you know blah blah :laugh: then it will be the Scar matches so my yakking is all but over for this year :cry: is your secret mark within casting distance Dave :wink:

19. newdave

newdave Guest

not for you Ray, but i reckon the Worm should reach it, no problem :tease:

20. robq

robq Rockling

Looks like good fun lads :yes:

Its a shame that the yak fishing is not far off being finished, It barely even got started for me this year :sad: :sad: