1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Float fishing question - Bass On A Dab Livebait ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Tomtom, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tomtom

Tomtom Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i once heard that a live dab fished under a float works well for bass. has anyone tried this method before?

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Re: float fishing question

sorry Tom you've reached your questions limit! :laugh:

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Mike Ladle reckoned you shouldnt get hung up on species of livebait, but be happy to use whatevere is in abundance local to you. Dabs, Pout, Wrasse, Sandeel, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack etc etc are all supposed to be good livebaits.

MWW once posted a great story about his mate Baz from Holland who spotted big fish following the pouting he was catching. So he hung one out in the tide and hey presto a big bass took it. That really was a great post but sadly I think it got lost when we had databse problems on the site.

4. Fluffchucker

Fluffchucker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You need to take up flyfishing tom :tease:, . I would think any live bait would attract bass if its hungry.

5. Tomtom

i need to ask as many questions as i can ray, if i want to become a pro like you :laugh:

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The more I look into it the more I feel like livebaiting is the way to go Tom. Rockpools are a good scource of livebait collecting and I,m sure you'll have seen some at some time. Keeping them alive is usually harder than finding them but if you have a cooler tank and if you can get them there in good time they will be fine untill you go yakking. As BB said I think any livebait is probably a good bait. Baza likes butterfish and even though they are quite a drab colour they provide plenty of movement which is perhaps more important. Going back to the dabs, if you can source some they will be well worth trying.

7. Tomtom

thanks alot for that

8. baza

baza New Member

used butterfish, blennies and a rockling last night with no takers, tide was a bit wrong for it. 4am in the morning they will be just right. there was quite a bit of floating weed in the water which might explain the lack of takers on live bait cos the bass are there, i had 34 last week at all states of the tide, ebb the best though. ive got some shrimps to try in the morning nothing like as big as yours ray but they might tempt a big silver thing thats not a bass. i spooked another today in a sandy pool, i would never of expected it. i had the dog and was taking him for a swim, me in waders and the mutt trying to keep up, when i saw the big silver thing that wasnt a bass. a dab would make a very interesting livebait, it would have to be the right size i think. something around 4-6 oz about right. ive heard thy are very good for tope.

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You soon got back into the bass mode baza! I reckon dabs could be excellent, they really are wick and the sight of one swimming high in the water would probably suggest to a predator that it's lost it's marbles and might entice an attack. So if you can get some Tom get me some too :cheesy:

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I think the float fished softie has some mileage in it Ray like you said before, especially a velvet as them big bass love them

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The big bass :whistle: I got last weekend had 2 of them inside Iain.

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

More than likely the other way round Ray going by the size your crabs, and bass :whistle:

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: thats right, kick a man when he's down :cry:

14. baza

baza New Member

definitely a very exciting method of hooking a bass. i would love to try a launce under the float