1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLOAT FISHING FOR BASS

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Feb 28, 2011.

1. baza

baza New Member

Butterfish make an excellent live bait, they are quite hardy and if hooked through the back survive repeat casting and they wriggle like hell. I lost what felt like a very good fish a couple of seasons ago fishing close in on a shallow sandy gulley. Ive had bass butterfish just about every time ive used them. they are very consistant. I use them over sand either float fished or freelined. I ve used them over rock but find they swim under rocks and into weed and you quickly loose your gear. maybe setting the depth on a float shallower will solve this. Its a very exciting way to fish just not as practical as lure fishing. Catching butterfish is easy enough if you turn rocks at low water and use a small fish net, but they dont like heat and need to be kept cool.

2. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

I'm hoping to try float and freeline Bass fishing in shallow water this summer from the kayak and I remember reading somewhere (probably on here) that a small power ball makes an excellent float as it has a bit of weight to it and can be cast out a fair distance. Small billett sounds worth a try as they are fairly plentiful where I fish and I suspect that they are what the Bass are targeting anyway.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Having snorkelled around there quite abit last year i can confirm there is bass that mooch around there .....I also seen a school of fish that i didnt recoginise , they were silver and appeared to have a pointy snout that resembled a bonefishes . Still no idea of what they were . also seen a conger curled like a pile of rope on the bottom between the scars ,as thick as me wrist ,,,
    Good luck , I to am gona have a go off the scars into ther flood .....cheers

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

In my opinion using the gell bouncy balls as a float could prove very interesting , it would be easy to fish them in shallow water on a fixed depth ie your bait just under the float , in darkness I feel this could be very productive , Im certainly going to give it a go , I dont
    think you need to worry about illumination if you get a take you will soon be aware of it , for those that would like a bit of light on the job
    a small chemical glow stick should do the bizz

5. mike_1987

mike_1987 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it must me about 10 years since i was last on the scaurs mabey more my dad used to take me there when i was young catching alsorts a side track to this thread but what do you guys reckon the chances are of a pollak or two been pulled out of there in the summer

6. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

7. bunny78

bunny78 New Member

I cant wait to go over the scaurs over the summer in the yak It has to be productive with a live bait, plenty of brown shrimp on majuba beach in the summer or do you think these will be to small?

Andy

8. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

I doubt that any live bait would be too small for Bass if it is temptingly dangled in front of their noses. You could always try putting two or three on the hook, Andy.

9. mop the hoople

mop the hoople Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cliff,
    Ive caught bass using the "power ball" method ,using sand ells & jelly worms on a clip on snood.This way you can vary the depth you fish at.Regarding the "Bullet" weight method,Ive caught a couple of schoolies by slowly retrieving a small squid mounted above the bullet,this works on a sandy bottom,as i believe the disturbance attracts the fish.I look foreward to trying the power ball methods on more kelp bed type venues to see if this method will work,as the ball can cover the runs by naturally following the flow.I tried this method after reading ( I think Harrys ) topic .After sourcing "power "balls & setting them up for use, I used the method on the sand banks along from the "Horse"path & the long runner from the slip way to St Germains.Best one to date is a 3lbr,all fish safely hooked are returned,dawn seems the best time & appears more fruitfull than plugging,but others who fish the area may disagree.

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This yearwe will be trying big baits up the mull ,
    maybee mackerell head , or eveen whole joey mackerell,

when we were there last season ,i had a realy good look at some of the depressions at one particular mark,
    and i am sure a big bass would hunt around for some thing in those area,s,

so it will be a load of Balls one day and plugs and bait another day, :whistle:

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

What area is horsepath, and St Germains, is that up north :confused:

12. mop the hoople

mop the hoople Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Harry,
    Its just Marske beach, from slip way down to Hazlegrove,you could also try Agars Gap,it all depends on how the sand banks form or "Pools/Ponds" as some of the old locals call them.My mates setter once caught a 4lb Bass in one of the pools,it could only have been knee deep.The horse path is probably named due to its use by Tim Hills riding school,they use it to access the beach,these were the horses that glen saw at Saltburn,there a regular feature on a week end,at low tide etc, hope this helps you.

13. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

An old timer who lived in Seamer once told me he used to float fish live prawns & shrimps for bass close in off the rocks at Redcliff - great sport on a summer's evening. That would have been 50 years ago I would guess.