1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLOAT FISHING FOR BASS

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Feb 28, 2011.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

We here plenty of plugging / luring for Bass locally but we never seem to hear of people having a go for them from the
    foreshore with the float , why is this ? Theres a few places that spring to mind that I would be very surprised if they didnt
    do the business , using either crab, ragworm , live bait , prawns / sandeels Im hoping to give it a go as the weather warms
    up , whats your views on it

2. mike_1987

mike_1987 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im going to be giveing this a go this year from redcar scaurs using live sandeels if i can get them

3. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Float fished Mackerel head apparently works well :whistle:

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know float fished sandeel catches okay as far as the bass goes but haven't tried a mackerel yet

5. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I know at aberthaw power station in Wales they use a bubble float and a red gill float fishing with live eel will work a treat or with a live joey if you can catch one

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It's one of the things I keep thinking about but never seem to get around to doing Alan. When the water is like gin and dead flat I think you will have more chance using a live prawn on a float than a plug. There again, jellies would probably work better too, which is something else that I never get around to doing. Good point you've made, it will be interesting to see how some lads change their tactics to maximise their catches in the coming years.

7. jimlad

Wasn't this something to do with the jif rig? Using a squeezy jif lemon for weight to get the distance (filled with wax from memory?) and then reeling the red gill in.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Water depth has put me off at the marks I fish. When fishing 4-8 ft of water I feel a freelined sandeel or one on a long leader off a 1oz bomb may be better.

9. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Yes it was jim they used to fill them with water as well they used bubble floats aswell they still fish the same way down there I was speaking to one of my mates he still fishes like it down there I used to work down aberthaw on shut downs and you would be surprised how many bass were in the tanks

10. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Floatfishing is my very favourite method of catching Bass, I started using the method some 15 yrs ago in Cornwall, and every year when I take my annual Cornish breaks, I look forward to the sessions from the rock marks local to where I stay, IMO it is the most consistent method of taking Bass there is, my setup is a 11 ft Shimano Exage travelspin rod, a Shimano 3500 btr reel, 12lb mainline with a 24" 10lb Flourocarbon hooklength, size 1 fine wire hook. I usually use a 6" sliding float with a drilled bullet for weight, I use this method to fish in up to 30ft plus of water, or alternativley a bubble float, no weight apart from a few drops of water in the float , the same hooklength, but only in about 2ft of water, over boulders close in.I use live eel if available but have no problems using good quality frozen eel.
    The method has accounted for up to 8 Bass in a 1 hour session, ranging from 2-1/2 to 6lb in weight.
    Downside is that at least in Cornwall, you can be plagued with Garfish, Pollack, and the occasional Mackerel, or Coalie.
    I see no reason why the method would not work off our coastline.
    Obviously the way to go is to suss out the marks before you make the first attempt, it took me several years of cliff scrambling and a bit of local info before I could say with reasonable confidence I would catch.... the favourite times were always the last 2 hours up on a a flooding tide, and the first hour down,neaps to springs, and for the best results either first light or dusk, but I would never rule out a day session, if there was a bit of chop on the water.
    I do not know why I have never thought about using the method up here in sunny Yorkshire.

Roger.

11. jimlad

Trust me Roger, a Garfish, Pollack, Mackerel or Coalie would not be a problem for me!!

12. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Roger that very same method works very well on our coast i use it alot, especially the bubble float

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I would be surprised if small live blenneys / small rocklings etc, the type you find under the stones on the foreshore would not do the trick

14. jimlad

I follow Mike Ladle's diary a fair bit. Last year he experimented quite a bit with live Mackerel, and found that it selected out much bigger specimens.

15. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

so do shrimp on a size 1 hook

16. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I know live prawns is a very good bait for float fishing

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Live whitting and pout are very good on the welsh cost, as are small billet. Imo one of the most underrated bass baits is a small flatfish.

18. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i catch good numbers of bass around anglesey & believe me float fishing is an excellent way to go , i freeline & floatfish live mackeral around the rocky areas & even small bass will take a live mackeral ,although i think live launce is a better bait ,i take carp spod rods when useing live macks 1 under a jiffy float 1 freelined ,just buy some lemon jiffys from the shop ,empty them ,unscrerw the bottom & place a swivel in there by some wire inside the bottle & glue it in place ,i use a slideing knot on that rig ,both rigs ere set up with shimano baitrunners so the bass take the bait freely & the mackeral can also swim freely just sort out the tension so no overruns ,another top tip is float fishing with a starlight on the float at night :yes:

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Both Harrycods and Pouncers double figure Bass were caught in very shallow water , In Pouncers case it was almost at his feet in not
    much more than a foot of water , drift lining would have most likely picked them up , another live bait that springs to mind is butterfish
    which are usually quite plentiful from the foreshore during warmer weather , when the Bass are running over the shallow scaurs and gulleys arent they very likely to come across this type of food

20. mike_1987

mike_1987 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my plan is to take my shrimp net down to the scaurs about a hour before i plan on fishing then using whatever i get in it ussally a mix of shrimp sandeels and the ocasinal baby octopus as live bait hopefully i will be posting reports either positive or negative this spring/summer