1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Float Fishing For Bass And Pollack - Keeping A Sandeel On Your Hook

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its bloody annoying. You spend hours sourcing a sandeel or 2 (Had 1 given and caught 1 today). You put them on the hook, the float goes under . Then you strike and you miss it and the sandeel is gone. What is the best way to secure a live sandeel to your hook when float fishing ?

2. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when you find out .....let me know !!! :cheesy: i cant keep live sandeals on my distance rigs i miss a bite and there gone :no: not even half a fish left there !!
    think i'm gonna try them on a distance pennal rigg and use bait elastic ?? might be worth a try but how well they'l be able to swim i dont know :whatever:

tight lines .....mick

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

dont think there is glenn,you just need a lot of them. i was spinning the other day andgot loads about 4 inch long, gave them to the lads floating and ifthey missed a bite the eel was gone

4. baza

baza New Member

are the eels live glen? if so i dont know, ive never had the pleasure to use them. ive heard you can thread the hook through the eels mouth and out the gills then nick the hook through the flank will work, it also keeps them alive.hooking the eel in the flank should be the target for the bass as as you know 90% of the bass you catch on a plug is hooked on the plug on the mid body plugs.
    dead eels i have a little experience with. i hook them through the back mid way down the body and put two half hitch 'snatches' on the tail with the snood.

5. cps

cps Rockling

all me and mart do is open its mouth and hook it with the point going from the inside of the mout coming out of the top of its nose in the hard bit just befor its eyes

but as said befor you do need alot of them

6. Baramundi Bob

How many is a lot Chris ? do you have the same problem with the fish pinching them ?

7. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

I saw this on Henry Gilbey once. He was using dead sandeel. hooked throught head/gills a couple of times-move up the line and final hook through the tail section and tie on securely along the full body with bait elastic.
    I use this method and it works - as to live sandell never used.
    Mick.

8. cps

cps Rockling

hook ups around 75% on pollock eels around 10 inch polock al over 5lb bass is a difrent story we have never managed to find small enough eels[ or big enough bass lol] and the hook up rate is much less
    usall set of with around 50live eels for a four hour sesh

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Shame there wasnt a mail order company that sell them live glen....Ide be suprised if there wasnt ...

10. Baramundi Bob

They would get here faster than I could catch them Dav. Although I will try again on a bigger tide.

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Most of the dedicated sea angling tackle shops on the south coast have barrels full of them outside with airators. Maybe in a couple of years of global warming you will be able to chose your own baits from outside Whitby Sea Angling :happy:

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

what feathers do you use for them glenn?

13. Baramundi Bob

Sabikis. Dropped them down today and caught a cod of 5lb (Well it was 4.5lb hours later when I weighed it at home).

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

cant see why you arent getting many then :confused: i use sabikis like

15. Baramundi Bob

Havent really given it a lot of effort yet Dan. Will be trying more soon. I think there is a quite a lot at the bell bouy and often quite a few down the side of the east pier.

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Heres a few things that might help, --- one way is to hook the eel near the head then put a half hitch behind the tail with your trace line
    ---- another way cut the head and tail off and thread it on a long shanked hook much like a worm ---- but do you remember when i
    put an article on about bait pins not baiting needles where you get a length of wire not to thick ive made them out of stainless grip
    lead wires , make a small loop in the wire at one end its easy if you heat it, the loop should only just let the barb through it , on your
    trace mono put a piece of cotton bud or similar about 6mm long , then push the eel onto the wire through the head and out near the tail
    lay the eel up against the line and trap the end of the wire in the plastic sleeve , the point of the hook is always clear as no bait is on the hook, the wire cannot be seen as its inside the eel , and the eel is trapped on the wire it works a treat for me , you can freeze
    the eels on a wire, put them in a wide necked flask and use them as required , ive fished shrimps and prawns using this method and it worked well and that was casting them from the beach, you can make pins of various lenghts to suit the size of eels give it a go