1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flatty bashin in a plaice called Runswick

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Apr 27, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

launched this afty in pursuit the elusive plaice but all I could manage was a dab, I couldn't but help myself and came back in on the sail so alas no points scored here.

launched later this evening after the course with Simon, he was determined to try for a fish on the fly -and give him his due he perservered and had a good take but unfortunately didn't land the fish.

Anyway i drifted over the sand dragging an ounce bomb with a little flasher and a few beads with rag and squid on the hook for this here beatiful.....erm Dover sole :whistle:

Will load higher res pics tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No sails or orange marker pens were used during this operation :cheesy:

Ken

2. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Re: Sole Fishing in Runswick

Sorry Ken, I don`t think that should be allowed as Dover is no where near the Humber or the Tyne, it`s one of them southern softy places mate :laugh: :laugh:

you need a plaice nearer home

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Re: Sole Fishing in a plaice called Runswick

dam ken is there no fish you can not catch, hope you looking after my yak :laugh:. well done on the flattie :whistle: :laugh:

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You sneaky git Ken :laugh: looks like you got the last laugh :embarrass:

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done Ken.. :cool: You really are top kayak species hunter.. :yes: :yes: it was really good to meet you at last after the course on sunday and thanks for your good advice. :happy: Still cant get over that huge skate you pulled up on the yak.. :surprise: :surprise:

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Now that is a place :whistle: well done ken :cool:

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

lovely fish Ken, wish I'd never told you where to fish now :cheesy:

8. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Oy ferret features, we soon sussed out the plaice to fish at low water waiting for the flare demo...we were stood on acres of lugworm casts....that was all the clue I needed to see, and the sandbar appearing out in the bay. Put two and two together....but take anohter look at the bait suggested. It worked!

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

aye but i had told ken before that :blindfold:

10. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Shouldn't you be at work?

I didn't know - he never said anything (tight lipped Ken it is now!).

He wasn't sure about the ragworm for bait though....and the tipping of squid makes a big difference apparently. The chap shrimping was catching flatties too - he caught one in front of us, only a tiddler about 6oz, but confirmation!

It is a long way up there though.......lovely spot, but 420 miles for J&H, about 390 for Paul and 200 for me. So I won't be making many forays there.

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you have got to come up in june for the cod Simon

12. Longdog

Longdog www.didgeridooanddance.co.uk

Hey, I caught a shrimp :happy:

Honest Sam( and honest he is!) can verify it, it was in the bottom of my yak, does that count as a score. Do I get extra points for shrimp whispering it in :cool:

Was very tempted to eat it there and then on the spot as it was 1.30pm and still no lunch break :surprise:. I don't know these ex-forces types, surprised we weren't doing push up or running up and down the hill with yaks for messing up our brace strokes :laugh:

Kev

13. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Simon & Matty, stop arguing because neither of you gave Ken the info he required, sorry Ken I have to spill the beans. Here`s what actually happend, I arrived early Friday afternoon at the Runswick site to find Ken already there with his caravan, we had a drink and then went for a walk down to the bay. We had a pint in the Royal Hotel and then set off back to the site, as we started up the hill, eagle eyed Ken spotted 2 Scuba divers coming out of the carpark in their gear, the trap was opened and Ken was straight off the mark, he shot across the road shouting " HEY mate, have you seen any Plaice in the bay when you`ve been diving". Ken and the divers had a couple of minutes chatting about where the Plaice were, it obviously paid off. Never to mis an oppertunity that Ken but cunningly kept his Divers info under his hat.

If were`re having any points for Shrimp longdog, I should get points for my Lobster on the float :laugh:. Varification from P N Gwin.

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

:laugh:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

:cheesy: :cheesy:...glad you eventually got ure quarry ken . top angling that mate ,,,,,,species ken ....mmm..... :cheesy: :cheesy:...nice one...

16. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

Yes all true, ken asking for directions, and Neil catching a lobster on float tackle. well done ken and neil. PNG

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

There you go chaps, better quality pics, ye I have to thank Matty, Simon and ermm a couple of divers telling me were the fish should be :embarrass: - hey I dont care, ask the right questions & result :cheesy: . . .right come on you lot, whos going for a northern thorney?? I got some advice I got some co-ords, if you want them you can have them :happy:

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Ken another first. I wonder how many of those other species you can get your hands on before anyone else. You've inspired me to go in there and have a try myself. Mikes got toothache otherwise we may have gone tonight.

Ill happily join you on a Thornback hunt so long as it ain't much further than a mile off. My neighbour has told me a couple of marks that were full of Thornback last week. He also said there was plenty of haddock in his net.

19. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

OK Ken, name the plaice oops place and time, your disciples are ready to follow the man th@ can

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Excellent mate, it was our friend Mart (Smokey) who has given me a Thorney mark in Filey Bay, not too far out. I'm really not doing anything special what-so-ever, just taking great advice from as many different individuals as I can.

Matty pointed out the sand bar and then Simon comfirmed it as a plaice mark a few moments later. A nice easy safe paddle, hell you could do it on a lilo as long as it wasn't an off-shore wind :cheesy: . Drift over it with a small hook,, 1oz running lead, few beads and one of those little flashy spoony things, Simon mentioned they are a real 'predator', a couple of bits or rag on the hook, a squid tentacle too, again on advice :embarrass:, as you drift (using drogue to slow it down) it slowly works over the sand, you can see your rod tip bouncing over the sand ridges, I used one of Sams 8ft spin rods, braid and a 4000 size reel. Mart mentioned a mark close in under the Brigg in Filey bay, again a nice easy safe mark you could do for a couple of hours after tea.

Haddock in pots? That must be close in.....excellent, when we going? :cheesy: