1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flamborough Head No Take Zone - Byelaw And Map

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Has this by-law now become law Glen or is it still in the proposal stage? Wasn’t this scheme first a voluntary scheme proposed by natural England?
    Tommy

3. Baramundi Bob

I cant tell you much as I dont know Tommy, but this byelaw comes from their site so I take it that its now in place ?

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

There is a meeting about this at the anglers in scarborough. Will find the date and time.
    And the bird watches are sticking the noses in and on the side to ban at bempton. Cod make that a no take. So it would be from south landing back round flamboroug head to the start of the of the cliffs.

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I have just been told that the meeting is on
    Tuesday 30 march. At 7.30pm. At the anglers club in scarborough. More of up go the better. And its a pint.

6. newdave

newdave Guest

my understanding is that its now on hold pending the results of the mcz process

7. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

I get confused about this a lot however out of the blue (I asume its because I have a shell fish permit that they know my details) i got a newsletter sent by the NESFC. It talks about "consultation meetings with fishing interests". They are @whitby fishing industry training school monday 19/4/10 at 6.00 pm, brid town hall tues 20/4/10 7.00 pm and hornsea methodist church hall 23/4/10 6.00 pm.

The no take zone is as described in previous posts on this thread and in the newsletter it goes on to say "The proposed new byelaw regulation was submitted to the minister on 11th Feb 2010 for confirmation and if ratified the area would become only the second marine NTZ in england and wales and the first to include intertidal habitat.

Therefore I it appears not to be law (yet) but to be honest its not an area often fished by recreational anglers albeit potting activity does go on near there. My single fear about this is any extension of it heading north around the corner and towards bempton. As we know these grounds can provide good fishing. The current NTZ (proposal) I personally as yet dont have a problem with.

dave

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

"The purpose of this Byelaw is to pilot the impact of No Take Zones on fisheries management and marine environmental conservation within the North Eastern Sea Fisheries Committees district."

Well that seems to me a very weak excuse to spend vast amounts of cash on mailings and all expenses cosultation meetings to protect one small area of seabed that can be and will be smashed to pieces in the next s/e blow-up. The fixed net fishery will take bass from there. I really cannot see the point in it unless of course it is the thin-end of the wedge. If they do extend the zone they will have a bloody fight on and if RSAs loose the battle the already battered local economy will be the biggest looser and the council will loose £ooos as small boat owners move their vessels elsewhere.
    I had to laugh at Glenns threat on the other thread re the meetings I read it quickly and thought non attendees moaning were to have their "bits " removed not their posts. :cheesy:
    Better go to the Brid one then :scare:

9. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Proposed Flamborough Head No Take Zone Area

"The proposed new Byelaw regulation was submitted to the Minister on 11 February 2010 for confirmation and if ratified the area would become only the second NTZ (no take zone) in England and Wales and the first to include intertidal habitat."

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

a bit of confusion here ducky ,the meeting on the 30 march at the anglers has ,i believe been organised by a scarboro angler whos name ive forgot.
    as far as i know the meeting is with net gain, not with nesfc and is about the hubgroups that are been formed,not really sure whats its tryin to achive as i thought the groups had been formed now,but like you say its a pint!.and at least the penny is starting to drop with anglers that they need to be involved in the on going process's

11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Speak for yourself - I fish there regularly and always see other boats and kayaks fishing there. On some summer weekends, there are boats queuing up to drift for pollack at the Head. The place is swarming with recreational anglers and I've seen literally hundreds of pots laid on the south side in spring.

Trouble is, much of the summer trade in angling is folk who have a boat and just do it for fun. I can't see them going to any meetings. Not like the seriously obsessed folk who come on here!

12. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry to be thick but I'm not sure of the wording in the byelaw.

Does a no take zone mean you cannot fish at all, or can you still fish catch and release?

'Subject to the provisions of this Byelaw, no person or persons shall use any instrument or method of fishing, including hand gathering, for the removal or taking of seafish, within the area defined in paragraph 1'

13. Baramundi Bob

The no take zone isnt at the head end thankfully and hopefully we can stop it from ever getting that far. The tiny piece that is no take is, i am led to believe, hardly ever fished.

14. Howard

Howard Blenny

Funnly enough the area in question was the only spot throwing out bass late last summer down that stretch. One of our lads from Belvedere moved onto that ground after the net wiped out the fish from the normal grounds. I do not think the skipper will think twice about re-visiting this year. Watch this space!