1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLAMBOROUGH HEAD - fisheries meeting

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Steve, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Rockling

just got tale of a fisheries meeting at flamborough wi on saturday at 10am.
    can anyone shed any light on this matter.
    heard a rumor they are trying to ban all fishing of any sort also a ban from south landing to pitts wall end at brid.
    apparently anyone can attend

2. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Re: fisheries meeting

Hi Steve
    The meeting is at 10.30 at the Community Centre in Flamborough. The Flamporough Project Officer from East Riding Council is hosting the meeting to discuss what they plan to do with Flamborough Head and voluntary codes of practice. The more the merrier that attend from the RSA sector.

3. bassman

bassman Administrator

Brid Shore Anglers recived a letter from Leanne Stockdale this week to say the meeting would take place at the Flambro community centre, and the start time in the letter had been put back from 10.30am to 10.00am. it needs as meny people as possible to attend, and we have also heard the same rumor as Steve, but we heard from south landing to the north wall ???

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I've read the voluntary codes of practice. It isn't as alarming as could be but they are asking for voluntary catch and return. Obviously that's voluntary but its a sign the tide is now turning.

The bits that specifically effect anglers are here ? :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/site-reviews-and-links/flamborough-head-fishing-voluntary-code-of-conduct/0/

5. scoot

scoot New Member

Did anyone go today ?Was going to go today but forgot allabout it :(

6. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Guys
    I went to the meeting on Saturday and agree with Glen the Codes of practice are no big deal. However they did want the attendees, which included quite a few commercial fishermen to agree to the principle of a "No take zone". The meeting as a whole were not opposed to the idea and we pressed them to specify which area they were considering and with some reluctance they quoted an area from the North of North Landing to Danes Dyke. The fact that this is an area often frequented by holidaymakers was considered by the attendees almost impossible to enforce this lead on to a long discussion about enforcement and the scientific data available to underpin the justification for the selected area. The NESFC rep went on the highlight a "No Trawl" zone that was about to become effective. Apparently this had been agreed at a seperate meeting with the Trawlermen. The commercials said they were not surprised that there had been agreement as nobody had trawled there for years and the Bridlington Trawler fleet had declined from 45 to just one pair and two singles. The meeting did not come to any decision even although the attendees were in the main all singing from the same Hymn sheet. The Natural England person who was in charge of the meeting said they would consider what we had discussed and come back to us. There was no attendance register and although some of the members were known to the chair it will be difficult to come back to us all. Outwith the meeting some of the attendees are in discussion about what action should be taken so watch this space.

7. Baramundi Bob

So does this no take zone apply to shore Anglers Stuart and will it be voluntary or mandatory and is it to be backed up by law ?

This is starting to frighten me a bit.

8. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

dear B.B you say above that this is all starting to look frightening,

-well i for one am horrified without doubt this appears to be the way things are going with regard to the future of sea angling if you read stuart macs post the main thread that seems to have been purported by this meeting is that there is something being witheld by this council led group of 'TREE- HUGGERS'
    -why else call a meeting to bring interested partys together to hear their veiws,
    yet not place on the negotiating table all the facts re: the proposals (which there obviously must be) in hand but obviously are not currently for public eyes.

-SO WHAT IS THE NEED FOR SECRECY MS. STOCKDALE?

-SIMPLE -this group is led by the same council that houses the N.E.S.F.C. -
    -whose environmental officer *giles bartlett is more than likely to be very heavily involved in this scheme, as such given their past pitififul attempts to engage
    the angling public it should come as no surprise that we cannot get a straight answer from them

*just so we know where this individual stands he is the one that declared in a public meeting that he wholeheartedly believed in bag limits on anglers for many more species other than bass

9. Baramundi Bob

Would have to agree fully John and am fully aware of Giles perspective having sat in the same meeting. The thing I'm a bit cautious of is making matters worse. Having read some bumf on the Worm digging issues further north it is apparent that when the anglers dug their heals in and went to war they made matters worse and instead of comprimise they were booted off. I don't fish Flamborough area but i would urge anyone who does to get involved in this and get the best deal possible before the whole area gets shut :). Local people with the local knowledge should be influencing the decisions.

10. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Glen
    The "No Take" would apply to shore fishing. But I think you are correct lets not dig our heals in an get everyones back up. Everything considered we have got a dialogue going and we should continue for the time being. Northbayotter has some valid comments. Unfortunately Ms Stockdale is off ill. and some of the guys thought she had a better control of the meeting on the previous occasion. I saw in the Lakes at the beginning of October and Border TV had a News article about English Nature proposing a Marine Protected area for the Firth. I have checked with the Sec of the North West NFSA and he had no knowledge of the project. I have also been in contact with SSACN and they have no specific knowledge but highlight that the EU have plans for such areas by 2011. I have sent an enquiry to EN at Kendal asking for more details hopefully I will have a response before Monday nights meeting and I will bring you up to speed.

11. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

stuartmac ,
    i am following this issue with great interest as it has great potential to do significant harm to the sport, particulary with regard to a great many anglers from bridlington, flamborough and filey and in the broader sense yorkshire as a whole.

i quite agree wholeheartedly that it is important to enter into, and maintain dialogue, and for what its worth by doing so, pursue the best possible outcome for all interested parties (compromise?) -however while i was un-able to attend these meetings (by reason of pressures of work), i am in regular contact with a number of anglers and local club officials who did do so, and it is from their reports of proceedings upon which my concerns are based

drawing from what has been reported to me, the main areas of concern appears that the way in which this whole affair is being conducted is far from open and transparent.

-if we have nothing to fear from all of this what is the need for secrecy?

-why can they not provide straight answers to straight questions?

also a certain local club official reported to me was that the thread of the attitude being put across was that the flamborough n.t.z. would become reality whether we like it or not.

today it is only flamborough that looks as though it may soon be lost to angling

-so moving down the road a peice how would the filey lads like to lose the brigg in the same way? :eek:

-or equally how about robin hoods bay area, or runswick/port mulgrave? :eek:

-my point being it is our sport that is under threat here, and whether we actually fish there regularly or not, those that do are worthy of our support just as we would hope that in the future should we find our favourite fishing area under similar threat that the lads affected here would support us ;)

"i dont think it'll happen" -i can hear you say -well just a year or so ago that what most would have said about the flamborough idea

12. Baramundi Bob

Yes your right John, this is an issue that could effect all of us and I will help out in anyway possible. These no take zones have been a couple of years in the making as I remember Nigel talking about one for Flamborough all of 2 years ago at a YALASA meeting. The trouble is no one takes these things seriously until they are upon you and its too late. If only more people would take their heads out the sand and get involved we would be a stronger force to be reckoned with.

I am not familiar with the area at Flamborough. Do anglers regularly fish the area mentioned ?

13. barry

barry Blenny

I fished Brid pier on Wedensday, and you could see the head torches at Flamborough , so people were fishing then..

14. newdave

newdave Guest

Look on a map Glenn, its a massive area & very well used by both shore anglers, boat's & kayaks. the Brid & Flamborough tourist charter boats are there all the time. Are they contemplating stopping commercial fishing as well ?. this area is a prime lobster & crab fishery & there are a couple of Salmon nets that are there for the season. Where do politicians get the idea that recreational angling has an effect on fish stocks. Must say that once Fox hunting went it was obvious that fishing would be moving up the list of things to ban.

15. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi
    With reference to the above comments I wholeheartedly agree and sympathise with the concerns of the local club members. I take Glenn's comments on board and he and I have often spoke of the ostriches amongst our fellow anglers. There were only about a dozen of us at the meeting I think that Northbayotter is right when he says there is some room for compromise. These "No Take" zones are coming because of EU directives and providing they are "agreed" zones with the interested parties there could be some long term benefits as has been proved in the US. But it has to be compromise and not capitulation so let us maintain the dialogue and lets have a few less ostriches.

16. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

17. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Steve
    It was nothing personal with regard to the ostriches. You have been active overtime and work and earning a living comes first. There are currently 22000 sea anglers who are members of the NFSA. Assuming that the figures that are quoted are correct and they vary, some say one million and others two million , then there are a heck of a lot out there who are prepared to let the few take up the cause. They will moan and groan and do sweet b..... all and then criticise the few when everything goes against what we all want. These are the ostriches.

18. newdave

newdave Guest

probably more uninformed than head in the sand, I had no idea such moves were afoot & am probably not alone, but it is a major concern & does appear to be serious.
    I presume, English nature are some kind of unelected Quango ???

19. Baramundi Bob

Sadly it might not be the last we hear of English Nature. They emailed me many months ago with an endless list of questions about the coastline. Also there are numerous scientists asking questions at the moment. After asking who is backing their research and what it is about I sometimes help but often they are up to no good I sense, and Needless to say I told them where to go, but my advice to anyone being approached would be to tell them nothing unless you are sure their intention is to help sea anglers , their main interests seem to be the whereabouts of bait. No doubt they intend to locate the bait collecting areas and have us dumped off. Loose lips sink ships I say ;)

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I occassionally fish the cliffs at Flamborough and Thornwick Bay and this is horrendous. And of course there is the question on how to return fish safely from 50-100 ft cliff marks.. read between the lines...no safe return = no fishing