1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Tackle Fixed Spool And Rod ?? - Recommendations Please ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi

I normally fish north side of scarborough, the drive etc - moderate to rough ground

current setup is 12ft conoflex cod 6 /penn 535, or daiwa sandstorm 13ft with 535

like it but hard work, was fishing another match last night - guy alongside me using 13ft f/s rod and biggish f/s reel - made it look effortless in comparison !

thinking of having a play - what would you recommend please ?

i do have a 6000 series f/s okuma in shed to play with b4 spending a great deal...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Reel Penn 7500 LC, about £150. Rod wise AFAW do some pretty good Fixed spool rods, have a look at the Clubman plus.
    Cheers Col.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  3. gibby

gibby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use a daiwa tournament 6000t reel i live in scarborough and i use mine from moderate to rough ground i wouldnt think twice about having another

4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

If your going down the fixed spool route then you need to spend money. Get it wrong and its horrid. The Penn's as suggested are a great starting point.

Out of curiosity whats the problem with the 535 ?? Its a basically a winch.

5. faraday

thanks so far, one of other guys at weigh in had an afaw f/s said it was good

6. faraday

no problem with 535 glenn, love it - maybe i sould think abot going to 13ft multi and lighter rod - cod 6 is heavy like

7. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Some very light rods about now. Its been a while since I bought anything as Ive switched to Fixed spool (Still not sure it was a great idea).

As a multiplier the 535 is a great reel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robq

robq Rockling

Cod 6 was a great rod in its day but it is dated now

Modern rods are so crisp and light and much easier to use.

I vote for the penn 7500lc

My fav rod for fixed spool is the AFAW rock rod for long range tide shots or the 15ft K2 for closer work as its just so easy to cast :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great reel is the 535 buddy,i have two,one std,one magged,the magged one absatuely flies,love it..
    Reel wise the ultegras were all the rage,now it seems the penn spinfisher 7500 is the latest to go fxd spool,very well made,ideal rock reel imo,although heavy,the are heavy thru the build quality..
    Rod wise i use a tourney rock myself cracking rod's,the 6&bait are pretty capable too if you don't want to spend a fortune.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use the afaw rock 14ft 2
    9 inch from bottom(my preference) ive taped a strip of cricket bat rubber for the multi and up the rod some more electric tape
    marking where the fixed spool goes using a sliding reel seat so I can use my penn 535mag with mono in the rough seas
    and on clamer day a shimano ultegra with braid,i find it a great set up just take one rod 2 reels
    as im an inlander and im coverd for most situations

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If you've been used to using a cod 6 and a sandstorm.....have a look at 14ft or 15ft K2 Titanium coupled with a Penn 7500lc, Rob and Jason are very competent casters with stiff rods and big distances.....for a good angling set up I think you'll be hard pushed to beat the K2....as Bigcod found with his....til he bust it ! I love mine and the big rods don t see the light of day much since buying the K2's.

• Like Like x 1
  12. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Just got the afaw six plus bait. 15 foot. Matched to ultegra.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Is the 6 and bait a good rock rod? I had one of the older versions but didnt like it.

14. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I don't really know mate about it being a rock rod. The write up says that if your fishing with big crab baits from the rocks or flounder on the beach the rod does what it says it will do. Ie cast 6 plus bait. The k2 I should not think could be classed as a rock rod but I know people love them. Short answer is I don't know bud. Lol

15. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

16. simon22

simon22 Rockling

That's great to know. They feel very strong but forgiving on the cast

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Once you start using fixed spool and braid "rock rods" are different to traditional mono set ups, instant pick up of the lead, much more feel .....very very different, I wouldn t use a K2 with mono on rough ground but have used one on a fair number of rough ground marks.....if I want a bit more distance I drop to a 13ft AFAW rock rod with fixed spool and braid because I can hit it harder, but the difference in distance is not that much...at least not for me anyway...but one is easier to use.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks for the feedback on the 6 and bait lads

19. faraday

Thanks for the info all, not going to rush into it - toggling between 13ft sandstorm / cod 6 n 535 for now (close into the scaurs for winter cod).