1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing the outer Hebrides, any info appreciated

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by MandolinBanjo, May 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi, anyone been out and dipped a bait? We're probably going to uists, Harris and Lewis. I'll be taking a beach caster, bass rod and spinner. Am I right in thinking fish baits and jellys would be a good starting point? Thanks for any help :)

2. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished a bit on Coll & Colonsay (Inner Hebrides) and Barra (Outer) but only really as part of family holidays so limited to spinning rod and lures (plus some awesome wild brown trout flyfishing!).

Few things I have picked up that may or may not help!

- If it looks fishy then it probably is, there are loads of marks that it feels no-one else has ever fished it.

- Most of my catches have been Pollock and Coalie all on small spinners and jellyworms, plus one on a black zonker on the flyrod!

- Generally the west coasts are big Atlantic beaches with headlands & deep water. I've never fished the beaches but I always think they remind me of the West of Ireland and that is not a bad place for fish ;-)

- East coasts are often more sheltered and the beaches look good for flatties, again never tested it out.

- I took a couple of collapsible pots with me last time and managed some big crabs that were delicious.

- Final thought is I was amazed when I started catching Pollock to 4lb in less than 12ft water on flooding tide on the east of Coll, until then I had assumed they were only getable on the west coast deep water marks.

Heres a pick from many years ago of my first ever fish caught on Coll.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps, good luck!

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its quite tough to find any decent info. Do some general research on all the islands Outer and inner and you should get a general feel of what on offer. Looks like Pollack are a definate.

Conger should be on the cards, find deep water and drop in close with whole mackerel baits for those.

It also looks like there are Turbot, Sea Trout, thornbacks, coalies and mullet.

I find very little mention of bass on any website, but that doesnt mean they arent there.

Reading around I get the feeling the locals are either very secretive or havent realised the full potential of these islands. The place screams bass.

Google maps and google images are good for ideas. The whole Nw of Scotland looks amazing.

http://www.stornowaysac.co.uk/

4. MandolinBanjo

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought there! I've found very little info on my searches too but have until
    July to get some ideas together. It's funny as it was a trip to the outer Hebrides three years ago and seeing the beaches and rocks that started the sea fishing fire that I still have today, I tried to buy a rod out there but just couldn't so I promised myself I'd get some gear when back in England and learn how to use it before our next big trip, I can still remember some of the places I'd seen and thought wow there must be some good fish out there and now were going back:) might even turn this into my first trip report on the forum:) one more question, would you guys take a fork for worms or just try to catch mackerel for bait, it'll be a pretty self sufficient trip in most ways :)
    Thanks again!

5. Baramundi Bob

I would take a fork for worms. The beaches we have fished in Galloway, the bass like lugworm even in middle of summer.

6. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23233.0

7. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Fishing the outer Hebrides, any info appreciated

I would second that, as I said never bait fished up there myself but plenty of worm evidence!

One other thought I've just had is that the pots I took caught loads of velvet swimming crabs, not sure if you could do anything with those?

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

8. MandolinBanjo

Thanks again, we will somehow try to get a fork as well as camping, cycling and fishing gear for two weeks into the car, blimey…

On a side note I caught 3 flounder this afternoon, the smallest 37 cm, the largest 40cm, some brutes around at the moment, great fun on my bass rod with a 3oz lead:)

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Breacleat Pier on I think its Lewis [ It might be Harris ] provides a chance of very big skate as well as thornbacks , most likely conger
    etc , West loch Roag on Lewis , +the Butt OF LEWIS that's right at the top of the island should produce Pollack , Theres a pier near where the Caledonian Mcbean ferry docks produces some huge skate etc

10. MandolinBanjo

Blimey cheers cliff:) I've seen quite a bit of mention of skate, slightly unnerving, would a beach caster work for this? Bloody love the idea of rays!