1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing The Isle Of Skye - Any Help Really Appreciated

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

As the title says, tell us what you know. A small group of us are going up Mid July. target species : Bass, Conger Pollack and whatever else we can find. Any help and info is much appreciated.

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not done it myself since I was ten, but intend to do it this year too.
    For my part, I intend to fish off the rocks by the lighthouse in the very far north west of the island for large pollock. You are fishing there into deep water, and can catch them at 10lb's. great sport.
    There is a video on Youtube of two guys doing exactly that.
    Search pollock Scotland rocks, etc. and should come up. Does not say where they are, but they are there. They walk down to a big white lighthouse down a long path.
    Enjoy.

3. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Fishing The Isle Of Skye - Any Help Really Appreciated

Think this might be the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkVReS0PbXE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I've not been to Sky since my Rock climbing days when I was quite a bit younger.

If you get the chance while you are up there, there is some awesome scenery and views from some must do walks.

The Storr and The Old Man of Storr are just amazing walks with breathtaking views!!

Wish I going too.

Hope you get the weather because when it rains on Skye it gives the word rain a whole new meaning.

BP

5. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i know this is from another forum glenn but it shows some good pictures and canny info..
    http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-catch-reports/55413-skye-report.html

http://www.shoreangler.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?680-Staffin-Isle-of-Skye

please delete if you feel they are inappropriate links...
    cheers
    Paul

6. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

http://www.shoreangler.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?7676-Best-areas-for-Skate-from-the-shore

as previously mentioned, some usueful threads etc

looks like best of both worlds, fishing & great scenery

look forward to pics/reports etc.

7. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bass can be caught under Skye bridge, not actually on Skye but you will drive past loch duich, big pollock, conger, thornbacks mackeral etc can be caught on the north shore from the various laybys, well worth a cast on your way there or back home. Neist point on skye, is a well known and fished spot, decent pollock,wrasse an some big spurs.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Any big conger ? and are the bass plentiful ?

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Been a couple of times, there must be some big pollock in Kylerhea, a phenomenally fast tide race that separates Skye from the mainland. The west and north coast are absolutely stunning. I'll ask Neil (Lindasfarne) to look in, he's the one with the knowledge :happy:

Ken

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Neist Point is the place to fish Glenn , go down the steps towards the lighthouse you can climb down onto a nice big ledge to fish off
    you are looking straight west into the Atlantic , the best spot for getting Macky for bait is off the shore near what seemed like an old boat house , at this point you are looking East its not far at all from the first mark , as regards fish well its possible to get tope , ling
    coleys , Pollack , big wrasse and no doubt other spieces , the water is very deep , for the better Pollack I would use a bigger rod with
    a 5 / 6 oz lead, on a 3 foot trace I would fish a good sized rubber eel letting it sink well down before reeling in , you could also use a good sized macky bait on the bottom , it will take the Pollack , congers if they are about and a chance of a tope , good hunting

11. Robthefish

Robthefish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This site is one I found helpfull, we caught pollock almost anywhere we could get to water but the bigger fish seemed to be around neist point area. never got around to the bottom fishing.

http://www.skyeshorefishing.co.uk/locations.html

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

I am off travelling around Scotland at the beginning of June I shall be travelling up the West coast I shall stop off at Skye and do some fishing, then off up further North across the North coast and down the East coast.. I shall let you know what I find up on Skye..

13. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Are you travelling by car or SIB :evil:

14. ijakk

The bass were not plentiful but I had a couple of school fish in march, but I have read the area has plenty of promise for the summer, the tide rip through there is pretty impressive, as for conger I'm only repeating what I've been told on that front, conger can be caught off them spots, as for big ones, who knows but, the second layby down from the castle supposedly has a couple of cars in 40ft of water about 20yards out, I could quite imagine a big old snake coiled up in one of them.

One thing I would say, is if you have the chance to take your kayak along you may well regret not doing so, the area has some fantastic enclosed sea lochs, stuffed with fish, that would make fantastic venues for yaking, often with easy lauch access, and certainly some fantastic spots for wild camping. I know every time I go up to the north west I curse the fact that I haven't got one. You could spends years exploring that area and never get bored.

15. ijakk

How long are you going for ? I plan to do something similar later in the year, trouble is it would take me a month and more just to fish all the spots I fancy between easdale and Skye to do the place justice.

16. GJW

GJW Rockling

I have no planned time really maybe a few weeks just see how things go.. I willl be mostly wild camping and in two minds whether to take my Kayak up, not planning to stop at a place more than two days before moving on, I can always come back and visit again to the places I missed out on the first time round..