1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING TACKLE IN BOYES STORES - A visit to boys

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Mar 27, 2009.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well i finaly got to boys store at the boro,had a rake around the tackle as sugested, i tell you what they have got some canny gear in there,i was thinking of hirering a rod when i go out on sea urchin ,however they have a 20lb lass boat rod in store for £15 now i know its not a penn or other top brand but after all at that price for a couple of times a year you cant fall off :surprise: ,they have some rite tat as well but overall i was impressedwith what they had

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: A visit to boys

noticed in Boyes in Guisborough they have the Fladen Boat fishing kit for something like £25 , includes rod, reel and a load of terminal tackle. well worth it

3. newdave

newdave Guest

Re: A visit to boyes

I have bough a few bits from there, mostly fladen stuff, but i learned my lesson with the first cheap fixed spool reel i bought, it fell apart with a 2lb Bass on it & promptly went in the Bin :angry:,I will never loose another fish through inferior tackle :no: found some handy little tackle boxes for £4.99 that just fit in the Dorado fish room.

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

boyes in whitby has a decent range of cheap rods reels and end tackle ie jelly worms shads spinners etc bought a few bits and peaces there myself. chris

5. bucko

bucko New Member

I considered that but Rods & Reels in Whitby had a nice set up for £50- a 20-30lb class rod and can't remember what the reel was but its got a five year guarantee.
    The missus knows what my anniversary present is then!

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I can understand people shopping at other shops and even importing their own tackle from abroad if they can find some good deals, after all times are hard for a lot of us right now. But you can find most of the tackle that Boyes stock in the local tackle shops at the same or better prices. You will find pretty much the same range of fladen tackle in Whitby Angling Supplies at better prices. Also the full range of fladen maximus rods. Speak to your local tackle dealer first you'll probably get it cheaper and at least be dealing with someone whose interested in the sport.

7. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i bought a flade beachcaster 12ft off ebay new for a tenner, same one in boyes for £12 bargain cheap as chips, cheap i know but new to the sport and not a lot of spare cash, it has lasted for the year and hopefully next year, sum cheap sinkers and mep spinners also, i have a old 13ft at last solid bamboo beachcaster handed down to me from a keen fisherman who passed away, any 1 know much about them, except that its heavy :crazy:

8. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Boyes have good priced leads, havent seen them cheaper in the local tackle shops,
    I found them good last summer for coarse end tackle, crystal floats etc, they do have a good range and the prices are right. and the plugs and spinners may well be worth a look for the snaggy areas, they also had some reasonable looking weighted shads in that looked worth a shot.
    that said, I popped into whitby angling supplies to have a look at some fairly light spinning gear for the bass and whist there I noticed that the fladen range of spinning rods were cheaper in the tackle shop than in boyes.
    always worth a look in the tackle shop and Id rather give my money to them if possible, but as has been said times are hard and I go where the best price is to be had.

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Too true, support the guys that have some sort of knowledge and interest in the sport, otherwise they soon won't be there, however if you want to do some knitting they have a great selection of laced curtains in

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes glen iknow what your saying regarding local tackle shops ,and in some respects i agree,however my local shop in stockton charges top dollar with very little discount at all,when i do want quality gear my nearest is kieths at saltburn and he does very good prices, like at christmas my wife got my snowbee granites there for £80 with steel studs, but i will still get my terminal gear from my local shop even though it is a bit more expensive

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

6oz grippers are £1. that is a rip off. The fladen gear is ALL cheaper at Whibty angling.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Buy your leads in bulk from Bill Costin, you will save a fortune.

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i will second that,

the stuff in boyes is not good well the hooks ect seem poor, when boyes in scarborugh got there stuff in i went in and looked about and i managed to bend a 3/0 hook in the packet so that was a big off putting,

14. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

bought a fladen 20lb - 60lb 2 piece solid carbon boat rod ( green one) in Boyes, Whitby last saturday for £30, not seen them anywhere else for less than £60. for some reason all rods were half price, reels and terminal tackle were not. been looking at braid rods for a while and could not resist the price. i agree with sentiments about local tackle shops and usually use both whitby ones but could not resist. only went in for some paint.Anybody else used these fladen boat rods, what do you think

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Any of you lads comeing on the forum trip i have penn rods+reels on the boat for you to use if you want to try them i should hopefully be getting a full new range shortly from my sponsors.

paul.

16. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

was in boyes yesterday and had a mooch round the fishing dept... they had 3 boxes under the bottom shelf marked at £1 and i had a rake through and found some lures.. got 3 of them an some poppers cost me under a tenner.. they'll do for messing about on the pier. called in bills after and got a dozen 5oz leads for for £3.50.. buy in bulk works out loads cheaper and u get a brew if he aint too busy!

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Hi Paul is there a small charge for the use of a rod and reel when chartering your boat, i can make up plenty of end gear as i used to when i went out regular in the past ,Thanks , HARRY

18. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Re: FISHING TACKLE IN BOYES STORES - A visit to boyes

Just checked Boyes in Redcar out to see what they had on offer,truly amazing stuff :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvIyMWV0T_w

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

No harry the the rods+reels are for you to use for free the only thing i do stipulate if by some very slim chance a rod+reel is lost over the side which is highly unlikely then it has to be replaced cost wise but otherwise there is no charge on sea-otter2 for the loan of any rods +reels.

paul.

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks paul i will bare that in mind, i know it will be quality gear , HARRY