1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Saltburn Pier - Monday night. ! Crowded

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by captain cod eye, Jan 5, 2010.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Na that whiff is not apathy big cliff its still from the doggy do do off your torch handle....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You can tell there is nowt doing on the fishing front, the poor folk have to listen to your stories of times gone by, things must really be desprate.... :embarrass: :embarrass: Only Joking AL. :wink:

Come on Al reel off another story we are all listening...... :snore: Honest... :yes:

Why not tell us about the shore fishing in the lochs and what it was like catching double figure cod in beautiful surroundings in the summer must of been great..

Or the night you caught your shore record pollack whilst fishing for conger, there must be a few more stories in there surely we havent heard them all.............Have we........ Well i have about a dozen or more times but i am sure the forum members would like to hear more.. :yes:

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF BIG CLIFF.............. :happy: :happy: :crazy:

Come on Al dig deep now you know you can pull a good out of the bag..... Story i ment not a COD... :cheesy:

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

ive got quite a few more tales gary but im waiting on my fellow anglers

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

When the pier at saltburn was in its glory days, roughly 40 years ago, the pier end never used to bare off even on the biggest spring tides and the last few legs before the sea at low tide used to have really good deep pools around them which a lot of fish would get stranded in as the tide ebbed. Me and my brother were fishing in one of these leg pools with a woolworths special and managed to catch an eel that was easily 2an a half foot long.We wrapped the eel in a wet t-shirt and ran all the way up the bank to our grandparents house at queensway near the cemetry where we placed the eel in my grandads rain water tub in his back garden where the eel lived quite happily for the rest of that summer eating whatever titbits grandad fed it and insects that fell in the tub.
    Strange thing is grandad saw that eel one morning but it mysteriously dissappeared overnight that autumn.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Nice one , i remember the holes around the legs where the sand had washed out , the decking on the old pier was greenheart the same wood that many rods were made from in those days , it was strong and very springy

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I was talking to an old buddy of mine [ thumbtack ] he was mentioning about the time we went onto huntcliff to try and get a herring gulls egg
    for the collection [ its what went on in those days when you were kids :embarrass: :crazy: :cry: ] we only had a bit of washing line
    mike tied it round his waste and made his way down to a nest , he got all the cushy jobs , when we think about it now it makes our
    blood run cold , a young lad from saltburn called billy breckon fell to his death from huntcliff doing the same thing in the mid fifties
    a very sad event

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I give up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

dont give up Alan, I for one love reading your stories. I'd like to contribute to this thread but havent been sea fishing long enough to have any funny stories

8. thumbtack

thumbtack Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thumbtack,what big cliff didn't say about the cliff episode was that when i got to the top of the cliff i had 2 eggs but had broken one, big cliff true to form said the one that wasn't broken was his. :no: :no: :no:

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Was showing Gary today the spot were you went over huntcliff with a washline round your waist after the Herring gulls eggs, he was shocked a said its a wonder the washing line didnt snap...... :surprise: :surprise: I said to him Mike (Thumbtack) wasnt always that big........ :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

Stop telling fibs Mike, i said we will share the good egg but i will keep it safe at my house but you are welcome to come and see it when you want but no touching.......Butter fingers Blott :embarrass: :embarrass: :laugh:

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

nice one .... keep them coming , i always love reading your stories and anecdotes
    cheers
    Paul

11. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Yes I agree , please keep the stories coming Big Cliff and dont get disheartened. I really look forward to hearing tales from the past . Keep it up mate and thanks for taking the time to post . :happy:

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am very surprised to read that Gary had called me fat! at the very least i think it constitutes elder abuse, and him knowing my mental condition, probable mental abuse. Hey Gary the cliff climb shows i wasn't always a shity arse.

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Iremember a night when me and Garry had been fishing a saltburn match,we had been fishing kettlenessfingers and waterfall shot,any way we were getting a few fish and fished right up to the time limit,i had a couple of mops about two and a half pound each and about three or four rockling that i kept alive in a bucket of water,i think garry had a couple of bigger fish ,cant realy remember now maybee garry wil remember,any way it was a difficult climb back up ,somehow we got climbing up the shale and missed the traverse on to the level part ,garry being younger and fitter was up in no time i was struggling ,about twenty feet from the top i siad to garry ,i am going to make a controlled decent :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the shale was quite slippy ,Garry came back down and took the bucket of rockling with about two gallon of water in it and i made it up ok ,we got back to the way in knackred and we were a minuet late by some watches but a minuet early by my watch and seeing as we fished by my watch we were in time ,after a bit of humming and haring they let us weigh in thinking i had a few rockling ,well garry weighed his and i put my rockling on the scales ,then pulled a couple of mops out of my rucksack,there were a few scowls on some faces ,but hey ho thats the way it goes ,cant remember if we picked up any prize money that day ,but i did go on to win the saltburn club that year and defende it the following year, then hung up my club fishing days ,aye happy memories lads :wink: