1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Saltburn Pier - Monday night. ! Crowded

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by captain cod eye, Jan 5, 2010.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

informative,hil arious thread,keep em coming lads.
    when youre on bout first seat on pier is that salty or whitby west?

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Salburn pier

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Thanks for taking the time to put these posts up lads, it's been a cracking read. You finger tips and keyboard must be worn through Alan.

I think you'd seriously make some right money putting your tales into a book, especially if you had some photos of the fishing 'back in the day'

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Marvellous stuff cant stop laughing at some of the images these stories contain.

5. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Al they were brilliant but what gets me is they must be a lot more people on this site that can share a few story's like them great work lad. Keep it up

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Yes keep this thread going lads ----- another one that springs to mind is back in the late seventies i was doing a bit of cod fishing off my local
    beach at marske at a mark called yellow beck which is opposits bydales school on the coast road where the car park is ---- anyhow it was a nice
    moonlight night and i had a few fish my headlamp packed in so i got my long handled torch out of my bag baited up and cast out again i reeled
    in and went back to the bag which was further up the beach i had left the torch by the bag i picked the torch up and thought what the hell is that
    i was squeezing what felt a bit like play dough through my fingers i continued to do this for a short while once more what the hell is it ? then
    i put my hand and torch towards my nose ! jesus a dog had shit on the handle of my torch and i had been modeling with the stuff , i ran like somebody possesed for the sea washing my hands rubbing them with grit , seaweed anything to get rid of the smell , hows that for luck ! some late night dog walker had put the finishing touches to a good night
    night dog walker and his dog just put bthe finishing touches to a good evening :yes: :yes: :laugh:

7. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i still laugh at that one al- no matter how many times it's told. i can just picture your face (priceless)

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Absolute beauty stories there Alan, the dog do torch and the legging fish bag cracked me up! :laugh: :laugh:

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Fishy stories are whats missing in Todays angling mags.
    They dont seem to be able to report any of the marks now.
    Far too much advertiseing linked to their storys.
    Im mainly fly fishing these days and the Trout and Salmon is rubbish these days in my opinion.
    Love reading all these stories and catches.
    Im knew to this computor lark as ive said before.
    Text messages go straight over my head :alien: :embarrass:pB

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Not a funny story this one just a few bits of info from many years ago ---- Does any of the older hands remember the PERIOS shows that used to be performed from a stage on redcar beach it was near where yorkshire trading is now , they must have only had it on the slacker tides and
    had to dismantle it as the tides increased in size, they used to have a lightweight fence round it , there was deck chairs laid out in lines they used to come round with a box for payment ------ also on the beach they used to have trips out in the boats where they used to take people out
    past the big scar that runs parallel with the beach there used to be a concrete block ship out there, on the beaches they had mobile landing stages that allowed passengers to get in and out of the cobbles etc ---- where the regent is it used to have live shows on , larry grayson started
    out there his name was either bobby or billie breen ----- towards coatham hole a greek cargo ship ran aground in the fifties they couldnt refloat it so it was scrapped on the beach its name was the TAXIARCOS it might not be spelt like that, before that a greek boat called the DEMITRIUS ran onto rocks out from the east scar again they couldnt get it off some of its structure could be seen for decades after, some good conger eels
    set up house there, then of course many years later the FREJUSFEERE ran arround on the west scar but they managed to refloat it , the tides were slack at the time if they had been big tides it would have got a lot closer in and most likely would have been lost ----- just a few memories :yes:

11. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Not many of them 30 or 40 anglers fishing Salburn pier on this day. Or where they?
    [​IMG]

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Bet there was couple of tides after though Stevie

13. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Wonder if it was as rough like that when the end washed away?

14. baza

baza New Member

fantastic stories alan, like ive said before you should write a book, please can we have some more

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well lads ,i have held back a bit on this one ,but here goes,back in the days when i was a lad about 14years old ,me and a mate would go to saltburn pier and stay overnight ,we would take a sleeping bag in case we got tired ,but rarely did :happy: i didnt have any fancy fishing gear in those days ,i had a built cane rod ,about 8 foot long, cork handle pocalain rings and a big bell on the end :whistle: well one night we were fishing on the end it was in june i think,not to sure , we had a load of rag ,mussel and herring for bait ,,and the billett were very obligeing ,we had a few place and flounder it was about 1967/8 anyway we took an old parafin filled sort of light come cooker :surprise: it had a sort of plasticky window on the side and a stand on top to put a pan of beans on ,or a frying pan ,well it was about two in the morning and we thought we would make a bacon butty, we lit up the stove and went on fishing , i caught a mackerell and someone siad it was the first they had seen that year, i was buzzing ,after the excitment i got a bit tired and had a short snooze,well my mate gave me a nudge and siad ,H wake up you have set the pier ablaze :scared: i think i had knocked over the stove with my foot ,and the parrafin had leaked and soaked the wooden floor :surprise: it was smouldering like a goodun, we were shi***g ourselves, we were lowering rags down to soak ,and trying to dowse the fire,there were about a dozen people on the pier all trying to kill the fire ,any way me and my mate packed our gear and done one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: as we were going off the firebrigade turned up and saved the pier, however it wasnt long aftyer that the pier met its demise :sad: the fishing was great but we allways felt guilty about the pier,but it was a genuine accident :whistle:

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you obviously weakened the pier with your careless antics harry, its all your fault the pier is shorter than it should be :laugh: :laugh:

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Nice one harry, at last i know who the arsonist was :yes: :laugh: :laugh:

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A nother one that springs to mind was i was fishing one night off cowbar nab with our martin and his friend this was about 20 years ago , i got
    a good bite and struck into a good fish we handballed the fish up and when it was right at the top the link broke and the fished shot back over the side along with the trace i was gutted as the night wore on my coge were turning about that fish , surely it must be stuck in among the boulders at the foot of the cliff i thought, the tide was leaving the cliff base so i had a great idea, i would go down below walk round the cliff and
    pick the fish up , i said to martin when you hear me shouting go to the spot where the cod fell and shine your torch the fish would be directly below, some hope ! so i went down and shouted martin at that point the light appeared, i checked behind this rock, that rock, every rock but no joy, where the bloody hell did that fish go, the sinker must have got stuck somewhere i thought, the water was now well away from the cliff i looked up and dead in line with where the light nwas shining was a buldge on the cliff , thats where the bloody fish must be , so i thought i will have to climb up to find out , a wet cliff at about 8pm on a winters night , k2 the north face of the eiger maybe but cowbar nab forget it, i will have to go for it so i found a foot hold, a hand hold etc etc my leg started going like a fiddlers elbow i reached the bulge pushed myself up a bit more and looked onto the top of the bulge , OH NO the fish wasnt there, i pulled myself up and stood on the top of this bulge to clear my head
    with my back to the cliff , how the hell am i going to get down , jesus , what am i going to do ----- then it happened i heard voices so i promptly turned off my headlamp [ i wouldnt want anybody to think it was a bit strange, you know how some people are ] then they turned there lights
    onto me it was like a theatre super trooper , are you alright mate they asked, --- yes im just looking for my fish was my reply ! --- keep walking
    lads hes on drugs !!! so they carried on ther journey and left me up there ! i had to make my way back down , i just let myself drop the last few feet , i just cant understand some people :yes: :yes: :laugh: :laugh:

19. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Harry i blame you for the half pier we now have. Lol. And i also blame big cliff for weakening the cliffs at cowbar. Lol great stuff lads they must be a few more storie's to be told by other people not that i'm complaining like. Great work keep it chaps. Thanx wayne

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

come on lads with your stories and posts , im starting to get a whiff of apathy in my nostrils