1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Saltburn Pier - Monday night. ! Crowded

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by captain cod eye, Jan 5, 2010.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Re: Monday night. !

I knew your grandad herbert watkins he always had top class peelers in season he used to get them out of the gare basin, he used to go up on the rabbit holes in the summer it was 1966 i had around 25 summer cod in my bag , herbert was fishing near me quite a few times he had a double shot of cod on, he kept putting cod into a coal sack so i said to him how many have you got herbert , no idea was the reply so i tipped them out bloody hell he had 44 codling , i told him , or well im off home now , those were the days :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I wrote a post about me and the motorbike but it dissapeared so here goes ----- during the mid sixties i owned a 650cc BSA and lived at eston at the time , it was mid winter and the weather was bitter i decided to go to redcar and fish coatham hole so off i went i had a few casts and decided to podge out a bit further i fell head long into the sea and got soaked to the skin i decided to call it a day when i got to my motor bike
    it was covered in frost , now i had a journey of about 7 miles back home ! well can you imagine how i felt an iced lolly , the tin man out of the wizard of oz , so i decided to have a bath i ran the water but i had no idea how hot it was , i got in the bath i felt i was going to pass out the room went dark then light dark light god i felt bad , then came a persistent knock at the door so i hauled myself out of the bath , stood on the edge and pushed the small window open to see who it was then it happened i fell of the side of the bath back into it with a hell of a bang , the following day i was black and blue and could hardly walk --- OH HAPPY DAYS

:yes: :yes: :laugh:

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I wrote a post about me and the motorbike but it dissapeared so here goes ----- during the mid sixties i owned a 650cc BSA and lived at eston at the time , it was mid winter and the weather was bitter i decided to go to redcar and fish coatham hole so off i went i had a few casts and decided to podge out a bit further i fell head long into the sea and got soaked to the skin i decided to call it a day when i got to my motor bike
    it was covered in frost , now i had a journey of about 7 miles back home ! well can you imagine how i felt an iced lolly , the tin man out of the wizard of oz , so i decided to have a bath i ran the water but i had no idea how hot it was , i got in the bath i felt i was going to pass out the room went dark then light dark light god i felt bad , then came a persistent knock at the door so i hauled myself out of the bath , stood on the edge and pushed the small window open to see who it was then it happened i fell of the side of the bath back into it with a hell of a bang , the following day i was black and blue and could hardly walk --- OH HAPPY DAYS

4. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm intrigued about your exploding fire tale Gary mentioned Al. Keep them coming- fantastic reading.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Me and an old buddy of mine went round boulby gulley to fish over the HW this was back in the early eighties we gathered up some firewood
    and we built our fire on top of a flat rock just above the HW line , it was going like a good un , we were toasting ouselves i moved away from the
    fire to reel in, there was a bloody big bang the fire flew away in all directions along with lots of bits of stone, when we went over the rock had split length ways , it went off like a bomb , lucky me :yes:

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Must have scared you to death. any idea why it blew?

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have thought about that one many times since the event all i can think is some stored energy within the rock and with the direct heat of the fire has caused expansion within the rock that in the end had to escape . just a thought :yes:

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have thought about that one many times since the event all i can think is some stored energy within the rock and with the direct heat of the fire has caused expansion within the rock that in the end had to escape . just a thought

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I thought most people loved this thread ! there seems to be a distinct lack of posts to the latest threads :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

10. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There a cracking read iv sat and giggled at them but i think a lot of the posts got lost when the server changed over

11. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i have loved the tales of different sessions anglers have had over the years, i knew fishing was fun!!!! keep them coming lads
    cheers
    Paul

12. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

I think we have lost a page of this thread Al, I have lost 3 or 4 posts mingled in with the others for sure.

13. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah lads we must of lost about 20 posts a good few funny ones where lost.

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Aye some posts went missing Alan ,di you put the story of the sands end leggings on with the bus ride home :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well here goes Harry ------ it was way back in january 1965 , i went up to the rabbit holes on sandsend cliffs , the weather was cold and i had decided to go on the bus , which was a journey and a half as i lived at eston it was a two bus journey --- anyhow i got up onto the cliff it looked really nice so i tackeled up with my trusty apollo rod which was a thin walled spring steel tube covered in a green tape which sealed it from the elements and a 6 inch centre pin reel , first cast i was into a nice fish , then another and another after less than 2.5 hrs i had a bag of 10 cod
    for around 45lb i managed to lose a couple of fish as well , i realised if i hurried up i would have time to catch the bus at the bottom of lythe bank
    to ormesby , i didnt even gut the fish or cut the heads off , i just put them into a heavy duty poly rubble sack and headed off on my way i looked like father christmas, i got to the bus stop knackered so as i had a few minitutes to wait put the sack down , then a sequence of events that i will never ever forget started !!!!!!!!!!!!! the bus turned up so imagine the scene a fishing rod a rucksack a poly bag full of cod , i piched the sack up to get it onto my shoulder i got onto the first step of the bus then boom the bag bottom burst all the fish flew back out of the door over the gravel and grass , imagine if it had happened a few seconds later everybody on the bus would have been covered in them , so now i had a bag with 2 open ends so i had to hold the bottom with one hand and fill the bag back up my hands were covered with crap anyhow i managed to get on the bus and strangely enough i had no trouble getting a seat to myself i was getting some mucky looks , you cant understand some people can you ! anyhow thinking of the fact i had to change buses to get home sorted concentrated my mind onto what the hell am i going to do , then it hit me like a bolt out of the blue in my rucksack i had a pair of those black really heavy leggings you used to get years ago , they were pvc material and well water proof not like the ones industry supplies now where if you fart you blow a hole through them , so i got some string and tied the bottom of the legs up , stuffed my fish inside them , so now i had something that looked like the bottom half of a manequin , my `change of buses came again i got some very strange looks , from the people on the bus , then waiting at the bus stop and also on the second bus , i just cant understand folks , then when i got off at eston i had a half mile walk to my home , so if you think fishing can be a bit harsh nowadays
    just spare a thought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :laugh:

16. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nice one Big Cliff.

17. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i've heard most of your funny stories al - but not that one. - absoluty hilarious - can you remember the one about your torch on marske beach one night? also have a look at yakin sams post on none fishing chat IT NEVER RAINS TILL IT POURS p.s you're right about them bus passengers-no sense of humour- ha ha

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Can you imagine trying to get onto a bus now with those fish , you would have more chance of platting soot :yes: :yes:

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

brilliant :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. Mark

Mark Blenny

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread,thanks for sharing all your lovely memories. Brilliant.