1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Saltburn Pier - Monday night. ! Crowded

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by captain cod eye, Jan 5, 2010.

1. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi decided on saltburn pier for high water which was packed. My plan of action was to get they for about 2ish which is shocking considering high water wasn't till 6.10. Anyway i got they just before 4. And yes about 30 rod off the end. So i ended up on the right hand side 1st cast codling not size 2nd cast 1 of about 2half to 3 then boomstick arrived (he was meeting me they). He took 1 look and said sod it shall we go. So we went ! Sandsend cliffs i had a rockling boomstick had nowt but i had a cracking bite 1 on. It Felt a good fish but soon as it came out the water the swivel snapped on my hook line so i was a bit pee'd off. Did Anyone else go out and does anyone know if the pier fished well. ? Thanx

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Re: Monday night. !

Hi not sure if there pier fished well but thats exactly why i tend not to fish them much, you here rumours of a few cod showing on the pier and you cant get in for rods, i know there is nothing wrong with that, but when you try to join them, i for one in the past have been met with dodgy looks and harsh words... So i try to stay away from them and head for the cliffs instead.... :yes:

3. jamie 17

jamie 17 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we went for a look down at about 8 was packed i counted 28 people on the peir and ther was 4- 4 and a half pound cod caught

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thats a good reason never to step foot on a pier. Although Whitby West is a great venue I avoid it like the plague unless the weather is so bad and the travelling hords from Teesside cant get here. Every now and again I get a nice session on the pier on my own, but most of the time its just not worth the hassel.

5. captain cod eye

Yeah it does my head way to many people crammed in such a small place. Its only this season that i started doing rock fishing and a lot more beach fishing. Which i find a lot more challenging and rewarding than the pier fishing. Now i'm searching that monster fish. ! One day

6. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Glenn, if you cannot beat them, join them.....and as you know well, you will probably beat them.
    I laughed on there a couple of weeks ago, I was fishing on there, and there was a gadgie on the end, with a bite alarm, baring in moind there was a long distance swell, what do you thing happened about every ten seconds, it was laughable. If anyone gave me a mouthful for walking on the peir that I have fished as long as I have walked, they would get a better mouthful from me...................... :wink:

7. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Agree mate with the bit about it being more challenging etc.

I used to fish Redcar a lot of years ago, late 60's through to the 80's and we used to sometimes fish the tide up at Saltburn after or before fishing the tide down at Redcar. That was the trouble then, someone caught a decent cod and then next night everyone and his father thinks the cod's brother and sister are waiting for them!
    Trouble was in them days, was what we used to call 'summer fishermen', didn't have a clue how to fish etc, no grapples or breakaways, 2/3oz weights, tiny spinning rods etc etc. you know the thing. A good thing on a pier would be IF, anglers would learn to cast properly, been some bad accidents back then, blokes swinging lead all over the place and hitting others with their weights, very dangerous.
    I don't know whether it still happens but if a good fish was caught then you had 10 minutes of hassle being asked: What hooks you using mate? What line you got on mate? What rod you got mate? What reel you using mate? Did you have a pee before you came out mate? Notice how many 'mates' you can soon accumulate as soon as you get a good fish, better than any 'dating agency'
    I know I'm being cynical but you have brought back some lovely memories for me.

Keep to the beaches and rocks mate, more worthy and more rewarding at times but certainly more pleasurable!

We have fished Redcar and had blokes walking out on the scaurs further than we were casting and telling us that we would catch nought because we were fishing only in a few inches of water, or so they thought. If they only knew!! lol We fished Redcar and Saltburn about 3/4 nights EVERY week over the winter for about 15 years.
    Can be easy fishing and easy access on piers but to me, just not worth all the hassle with tackle tarts etc, all the gear but no idea!

We all have to learn but some folk are beyond that.
    Tight lines. :happy:

8. captain cod eye

Thanx fly. Seen as your on about dangerous casting a bloke doing some sort of pendulum cast off the end with a 16ft rod and fixed spool. I actually said to myself idiot. some people think that they the only one's fishing on there. I think the big tide and dying sea attracted a lot of anglers.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

It might appear a controversial view but good examples of how to behave on piers need to be set from the very top.
    I've seen rudeness, bullying and spot hogging from top match anglers quite a few times. These are the folk the young rods look up to so with examples like that then they are going to think thats the way to behave on piers.
    Personally, should said types try to muscle in on me they'd get told exactly where to get off- I despise bullies. But, I imagine a smaller lone angler, an elderly chap or youngster is generally the sort of person they'd single out.

However, should I want to fish the pier I certainly wouldn't let those types stop me- indeed, they're more likely to rile me up enough to go on there and exercise my god given right to be there.

Some of the haphazard 'pendulum' casting seen on the piers is genuinely scary though- especially when done with a cheap rod, no shockleader and other anglers on every side. Just the other night at a local venue I turned my head left only to see a 6oz gripper and pennel rig 2ft away from me as the lad behind me (unsuccessfully) tried to put his lead over the horizon.

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I was on saltburn Pier the other week and it was packed about 40 or so just to add to what your saying about people casting there was one guy on the end in the crowd doing pendulum casts I thought I,m glad I,m not next to him it looked very dangerous same night I herd some one snap a lead of casting and it only hit another lad in the back of his head he was lucky as he had a Benny hat on also his flotation suit hood up I bet he still felt it though. That,s why I,m trying to find other marks to fish ie my trip down to Port Mulgrave as it,s not the easyest place to get to and the lads that were down there seamed quit a sensible bunch and chatty as well.

11. Andyk22

Andyk22 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

a little harsh.......i know there are plenty of townie numpties but some of us are ok...............................ok ok ok most of us are numpties but there are some of us smoggies wanting to learn ha ha :educated:

12. captain cod eye

I'm always willing to learn andy but trust me not all fishermen will give good advice.

13. big cod on

big cod on Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

were was the idiot fishing on the end and what was he wearing i was on the end fishing with a 13 feet rod and fixspool :confused:

14. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

I know I'm biased but to me there was no better place than Redcar scaurs over the winter, that and we could be on the beach in 5 minutes, so that did help!!! :yes:
    The variation is great.
    We always stuck to the East scaur end, never fished the Coatham end at all really, occasionally, depending on tide and wind direction, though I know it fish's it's pants off in the right conditions.
    Fished from the East Scaur down to the hole behind Zetland Cafe, there's loads and loads of different shots from there.

The best way to learn is to take a walk along the scaurs on a good low water taking note of the features etc. During daylight mind.
    Best not to be too adventurous until you gain the 'knowledge' it can be very dangerous up the scaurs in heavy seas even when you know what you are doing.

This is a link with some great info about Redcar Scaurs, groins, coatham hole, marske beach and saltburn and more
    http://www.northeastangling.info/e107_plugins/content/content.php?recent.27

Hope it helps.

Tight lines. :wink:

15. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i agree any1 tried to push me about theyed get a slap and told 2 fuck off

16. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Here here!

17. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Was going to Saltburn pier tonight. Think i'll talk my mate out of it and go else where. Don't think he could resist throwing a few over the railings to keep warm. Not worth the hassle if there's 30 or 40 there.

18. captain cod eye

The easiest way to solve this problem is to demolish all man made pier's and jetty's. Would you see 40 people on a beach ? Probably. Would you see 40 people at the boiler hole or rock mark i doubt it. And for you big cod on it doesn't matter who it was it shouldn't be happening on such a small pier.

19. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well said wayne. was redicules last night im pleased we went some were else. yes we left fishless but its a new spot to learn

20. crabpot

crabpot Blenny

just remember lads we all grow old and rock hopping and the likes are sometime out of the question to these guys, I know I'm starting to feel it myself now now, so places like piers and car parks are a god send because it gives us a chance to continue our beloved sport.
    Rock hop all you want, walk that mile or so a long the beach enjoy it now while you can, because I did as a young man.