1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Runswick Bay To The Left - Track Down To The Port Side Of Runswick Bay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dmc, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dmc

dmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does the track down to the Port mullgrave side of Runni exist,spent a good hour yesterday searching for it,walked the cleavland way nearly to port before giving up.

Some cracking marks,but couldnt get down to much brash and thorns.

Id hear it would take a trackter or a quad.I was knackered at the end of the search with all the gear but it looks worth it if you could get down.

Cheers for any info
    DMC

2. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

Re: Track down to the port side of runni

Yes dmc it runs right to Staithes I looked on Google earth and you can find it on there but Gary Watson uses the track more than anyone that I know when he fishes the marks you mention and there's rope access but apparently it's a very steep walk down and I'm being totally honest when I say there's a rope but I don't know where it is? I have seen Terry Dalton walk round there from mulgrave he fished the jetty at Port then walked right round to Staithes nab way so I know it's accessible walking over the rocks. Send Gary a pm I'm sure he will tell you the area where the ropes are I know the lads who put the ropes in put them in for us all to use :) not like the sneaky twit who Glenn mentioned who cuts the ropes while the lads are down fishing! I would drag him out of his pad and give him the hiding if his life the pig ignorant twat

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

3. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

Ps it's still there and is getting used all the time so it's not disappeared or fell in ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

4. dmc

That's really good info,I'll google that and see if I can locate and get down.i was maybe a bit enthusiastic for a first trip sat,without doing a blind recce.thanks very much dmc

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Where do you mean ? Are you talking about Wills Mums area ?

Its very overgrown now and needs a Machette taking to it.

I could never see the point of going that way and Ive only done it once or twice. You can get right round there along the bottom at exactly 3 hours before low and you can come back 3 hours before high which are the premium times for those marks. People do fish in the back at high water but I can think of much better places to be.

As soon as the waves are just reaching the jetty in front of the lifeboat shed you can walk all the way to port.

6. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Bit confused here?? Forgive me if Ive misread this,but I assumed the question DMC asked was for a path the" port" side of runswick? Like the path down to wills mams? The answer you have given Stiffmiester2 is telling him to head to sheepstones way?? Like I said if I have misunderstood this in anyway then I appologise

7. Baramundi Bob

Im reading the original question as Wills Mums not sheep stones.

8. dmc

Hi Glenn,
    the mark i was told about was described as Taking the cleveland way past the pub at runni,once reaching the coast , after passing a pond on your left,you would take a left.after around 100/200 yards there was a post and then a farmers track down to the shore.Apparantly this track would take a quad,
    Hope thi information helps in any confusion.
    Cheers dmc

9. Baramundi Bob

Hi mate, that Track did take a quad once over, but that was several years ago. The description is perfect and its near a sign at the top which says cleveland way on the fencepost. But my earlier comments are relevent. You can get to all those marks at prime time along the bottom. No need to go riving and chewing in the brambles.

Watch the Jetty in the bay near the lifeboat shed. Once you can get round there you can walk all the way to port and its full of marks. My pb at nearly 15lb and heaviest bag in a match came from those marks. You dont need to be there any earlier than 3 hours before low as your too far back and the seas often to heavy.

The beauty of those marks is there is a reef around 500 - 100 yards out. Only when the tide drops does the reef do its job and no matter how rough it is you just get nice steady breakers rolling into shore. Big fish love this kind of swell hence the good numbers of doubles from round there.

Forget the cliff you dont need to do it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Baramundi Bob

Another little tip shared with me by some very knowledgeable local anglers.

If the swell has east in it go left at Runswick (North, Ne, E, SE)

If the swell has west in it go right at Runswick (North, Nw)

General rule of thumb and there are many times it may not run true. By I always listened to dennis Thompson and Ian Russel as they are the best anglers I ever saw in the area.

11. dmc

Thanks Glenn,
    looks like a walk on a dropping tide with no gear,some of the marks viewed from the top showed promise and i wouldnt of seen them at sea level so i suppose it wasnt a total waste of fishing time and energy.
    Thanks again dmc

12. Baramundi Bob

Go about 2 hours before low on a neep tide. You can see the marks at sea level. Anywhere black in a big sea will fish. Wills mums, sewer hole, theres a spot right on. Walk as far as you can and then when you see Port mulgrave your in a good spot. The area in front of the thatched cottage is overlooked and underrated. Many of the ladds on here have had doubles out of there. I know killer got a big one in a whitby match there.

13. dmc

Cheers,
    for the info Glenn

14. Baramundi Bob

Not a problem mate. Just dont forget who helped you and when you catch some come back with a photo or 2, and dont claim the mark as your own like so many do.

15. dmc

Hi Glenn,
    just got back,no way, the marks i always appreciate and the advice i take on board and if i catch i will always endeavour to place a picture on the site.From a none local it directs me to marks i would not know existed,and if i can match your pb it will be in the national papers
    cheers dmc