1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING ROD DEBATE - SOFT OR STIFF ???? - Have we lost the plot ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andycod, Dec 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

sorry lads and lasses, i know nothing about the ttr , i wouldnt know one if i was sat next to it on the bus, can someone give me a bit of detail

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Hahaha ,,,,,,Allan , its a newish rod from century ,,,,its 14 ft long ,and a very powerfull tool ....alot of people rave about it because its a rod that casts over 300 yds regular in casting comps ,,,,,altho its not just a rod for the field it is a good fishing rod by all accounts.......altho going by peoples accounts its a big mans tool .....apparantly.....

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Too much rod for me :-[. Great for my overhead cast (6oz) but I borrowed one to try on the holderness and it just about ripped my shoulder out when I pendelum cast. Maybe it was more to do with my style as I tend to load the rod early. I,ve adjusted my style in the past to suit the rod ,eg "Diablo" which are also powerful rods and like the ttr imo need to be loaded late. Nowadays I tend to get a rod that suit,s my style. I also found that when I had a 7oz lead attatched with a big bait they were a little top heavy, and found my distance was actually reduced :p

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Were you using reel up or down at the time raymond ?

5. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

5'11" here and i manage perfectly well with my TTR 's (i have two)

ramrod is right about what he says though, it is a rod that is a bit unforgiving if you attempt to load it too early.

-and yes it is very similar to the old nemesis diablo in that respect,
    (c.p.s. -was fishing with a zeloso before i let him have a chuck with my TTR -and guess what?
    -he's now bought one ;)!)

with many rods you will get away with hitting them as hard as , or in whatever way you like but its fair to say that you should remember that the TTR is a pure thoroughbred that needs correct handling to get the best from it.

be assured of one thing though, -try and hit this one hard and get it wrong...............

it.... WILL .... bite back!

like many high performance products in our world today ,
    treat it with due respect learn to use it properly it is a delight to use,
    while at the same time there in your hands is the rod that has the potential to out perform all others when distance and the ability to launch a big bait and a heavy lead counts.

although as i and many others have said distance often doesn't matter but when you find yourself in the situation where it does ..............nuff said ;)

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

it sounds a brute to me, do you have to keep it in a cage, or will a kevlar rod bag do, i think i will have to stick with my edgar sealey !

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

If i knew u liked ure edgar sealys allan , you could of had the one i sold on e bay a month or 2 ago.....some frog in france bought it .... ;D

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

both Dav.

I,m not suggesting it,s not a good rod, it,s just not for me. it,s not that I can,t bend it and if I altered my style I could probably get to like it, no doubt. I,m only 5'6" but have been on the match scene long enough to know that I can match most when casting a bait. Nothbayotters remarks are levelheaded and a fair description of the rod. Robq,s views on any rods I find are also very fair and are based on fact and knowledge. Some views I find are hype.

9. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I think reel position is a great leveller.
    Low reel position will always make a rod more user friendly for casting, it's just a twat to reel anything of any substance back in through any sort of weed (unless your built like garth OR CPS)

Les

10. cps

cps Rockling

thats why i fish up but for all or 99% of fishing ;D

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

glad youre in my camp on that one

12. chopper

chopper New Member

fishing "reel up"does make reeling fish in easy,but i wouldnt say that reeling fish in "reel down"is difficult :p

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think Big cod is trying to source a ttr. ;D apparently everyone is out of stock untill after crimbo :'(

14. dbrown

dbrown Guest

ARE THE BIG DANNY'S AS GOOD AS THE ORIGNAL TTR?

CHEERS DANNY

15. chopper

chopper New Member

ttrs are not that much different from the old green raptors.no one was interseted in them.must be the pink finish of the ttr that is attracting everyone :p.every time you get a new rod its the best thing since sliced bread.24 months later and some other hype about a different rod is making you loosen the old wallet strings.are us anglers mugs or what? ::)

16. andycod

andycod New Member

thanks lads for your coments ,still undisided the debate seemed to move on to ttrs and casting do any of you ttr users think you can cast to the rods potential with a bait on and what sort of distances do you think you ar getting

17. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

as said earlier i have a ttr and wr300. i actually use the wr most of the time when fishing into rough ground.

the wr was a gift from a grateful freind and the ttr.... well i had the money floating and liked the look of it.

to be honest i have just got used to the wr and getting a good bend in it.

the ttr really does need bending to get anything from it. i know lots here use it happily for lobbing into holes but to be honest the rod barely moves doing this and very quickly recovers. those not ready for it can find the rod kicks and has little feel during the cast. i tend to use mine where i need a bit of distance over the rough in places where i have room to bend it.

i tried using it off piers and it was useless with absolutely no feel.

i still love the rod but need to use it a lot more often to get fully used to it.

maby now i have got used to the wr and worked out how it performs best for me i should concentrate on my ttr.

18. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

19. cps

cps Rockling

better than most i would think, and last week when tidler bashing the guy next to me thought about 200 with 3 micro baits

20. chopper

chopper New Member

flippin heck chris! that would equate to approx 270yds in "on grass"type conditions :eek:.did you have a following wind?(no jokes please). gary blanchard is a 270/280 man over grass using a raptor and they reckon he can get 200yds with one small worm bait.do you use a "full pendulum"chris?