1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING ROD DEBATE - SOFT OR STIFF ???? - Have we lost the plot ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andycod, Dec 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i know gaz but being such a brute, i need my raptor :)

2. chopper

chopper New Member

a lot of people use really stiff rods but dont find them stiff because they are only bending the tip of the rod(usually with a simple overhead thump).it is only when you develop a more effcient cast that you access the mid section and butt of the rod where the real power(stiffness) lies.its at this point that if you arent carefull you can end up on your arse or doing a double backflip :eek: ;D

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

thats why i ended up with your ttr mark, you are an average sizer lad, i have yet to see an average size blok do the biz with a ttr.

its a BIG ARM tool..

4. chopper

chopper New Member

yes paul,i agree.your the "big tool" for the job ;D ;D ;D

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I thought Mark was a giant ???

6. chopper

chopper New Member

a giant what ray?

7. steerser

steerser Blenny

how bigger arms do ya need like :)?

8. arc

arc Blenny

Would you call peeping john an average size bloke? I saw him doing the biz on saturday morn with a ttr on the field .

9. cps

cps Rockling

i think andy is proberby right i have just bought my first new rod in over 10 years , a ttr [ had a couple os second handers / freebs in that time to] i still use the sv bulet a bit and yes it is a far supiror rod to fish with and will cast a 150grm lead a long way but nd i think mart will agree they just dont do to well with a big bait and a thick line into a strong wind and thatswhere rods like the ttr and nemisis zeloso like i used befor the ttr come in and to be fair the ttr is a good bit softer than the conoflex which is why i bought it, but going back to the era of the semi carbon conos i used [ and still have as a souvener on the garage wall] a dc 8 which was just as stif as the ttr but more through acton and about 3 times the weight but caught me alot of fish, i think i was proberbly one of the first to try the low reel around this area about 22 years ago [ that wil start another debate ;D] and that was cos the dam dc was so heavy , going on to what ray says about the slow retrive , that to is true but if you use a slow reel [7000] it can be a pain losing gear when theres no fish on , so i guss what i mean is there is no rod or reel for every situation or every angler
    going back to the distance thing i think the dc was/is stil right up there in good hands on the distance front

10. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

to anyone reading the above posts it is immediately obvious that there are a great many veiws regarding the stiff v.s soft or long vs. conventional.

the truth is that all will work, but which is best?

(1) casting-

fact 1. longer/ softer rods will propel a bait and lead (of moderate size) to just as great a distance as a stiff rod ....

what is the difference? the greater length (15/18ft) generates higher tip speed with much less user technique/ability or effort input
    while the 'shorter' (13/14 ft) has similar possibilities but typically with a much more highly
    developed technique

exceptions to this are that the longer rod will deffinitely out perform the shorter one where smaller baits/ lighter weights are concerned,
    -also where bigger baits/ heavier leads are concerned this is where the shorter rod will excel

(2) -fish handling capability: -

the ability to 'bully' fish with a stiff rod (short) is limited in its use as it is entirely dependant of very secure hookholds/tackle strength failure of either =lost fish!

it is my belief that a longer rod with its typically slower more forgiving action is more likely to win through when attempting to land lightly hooked fish particularly in heavy backwash/swell conditions which is the norm for most of our winter fishing ,

this is likely to be even more accentuated when braid is being used as a mainline (usually with a fixed spool)
    braid itself by reason of its acclaimed virtually zero stretch properties also has potential to work against the angler in a similar way as the stiff rod where a hooked fish is concerned, as the 'cushioning' effect provided by relatively 'bouncy' nylon mono
    (even in high breaking strains) is completely absent particularly in the close quarters final stages of a fight which as we all know is when a hooked fish usually gets most upset and as a result fights the hardest.

which is probably why the long rod/fixed spool/braid combination works so well
    but equally the shorter rod/ multiplier/ mono set up can be made to work very well too

at the end of the day the best set up for anyone to use is the one that they feel most happy with and therefore have the most confidence in but remember as described above nearly all things fishing tackle related have plusses and minusses so it is up to you to decide which combination/route to follow having considered these factors.

i think i have covered most issues here perhaps if you can think of others you may wish to point them out? -perhaps i can learn from you ;)

11. cps

cps Rockling

i think that to has a lot to do with rod selecton you need to be very good or be a bit larger than avrage to make rods like the ttr work better than a soft rod

12. arc

arc Blenny

Yes cps agreed what i was meaning was just because your big doesnt mean you can bend it if you have the neccessary technique an average size bloke will be able to " do the biz " . ;D

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

i think that to has a lot to do with rod selecton you need to be very good or be a bit larger than avrage to make rods like the ttr work better than a soft rod
    [/quote]

Spot on Chris ;)

14. cps

cps Rockling

or just use 8oz leads then they bend ;D

15. arc

arc Blenny

;D ;D ;D

16. cps

cps Rockling

wasn't yoking i use 9oz on the old snapaflex nemesis for cliff fishing if there's a breeze

17. arc

arc Blenny

Didnt think you were ;D I cast 200 grm with on the field with my ttr , loads the rod lovely.

18. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

i went to see dave h in leeds about a month ago and he told me he had cast 16oz 130 yds on his ttr .
    i think its each to there own what ever rod you feel happy with the way i see it is if you can bend it you can use it i am average build and i use a ttr it suits my style of casting and fishing i think if you youve got have a sound technique its fine you get out of it what you put in
    cheers ian

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nearly as big as mine steerser ;D ;D......
    I can fully understand what chopper means tho , over head lob and general every day fishing the ttr is a lovely rod to use ,altho i suspect if you start putting a 11 ft drop on ure leader and start doing a pendulam to aim for 200 yds plus ,then ure problems could start ......

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

;D ;D ;D