1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Tackle Fishing Rod Building - The Beast Is Born

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Sep 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Moving on and fed up with hand wrapping on rebuilds, and the time it takes i have decided to build a power wrapper / dryer.

I was using a pacbay dryer, works ok - built a dual v section frame for hand wrapping but as mentioned previously it's a tedious process.

Decided not to buy a £200/£300 commercial one - put me off when they say in the advert that the chuck sytem is rubbish and they advise to buy a better add on for another £80/£100 ! whats all that about ?

Full length deck for me, sliding pacbay rod supports held down by n50 grade magnets.

sliding thread rail to assemble
    Thread tensioning and dispenser to finish.
    waiting for dual bearing headstock with shaft and gear to arrive from ping pong land.
    Aluminium Chuck - motor - foot switch already here
    had to take a crash course in gearing ratio principles - ordered last 2 motors - wrong calculations, shaft size/gear and design.
    aiming for 9rpm cw / ccw dryer - at the moment wrapping 120rpm but will build this with an electronic offset for more speed when more confident.

Anyone else attempted this ? i have trawled you tube and seen a few half decent rigs and some pretty awful ones...

Oh i hope mine works... lol

2015-09-06 01.11.22.jpg

2015-09-06 01.11.14.jpg

2015-07-26 20.07.59.jpg

2015-09-06 01.11.22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

I know @Jellyworm and @deano72 were in to rod building at one point. Not sure if they are still doing it.

3. busmar1

busmar1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i was considering using an old sewing machine motor and peddle,can get the speed down to nothing and pretty fast if the gearings right

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. faraday

Hi

researched that method / design and i may still revert back to that.

the motors can be bought dirt cheap new by the way, but a peddle which has a variable resistor which controls a triac gate - which supplies voltage to the motor is a bit more harder to find.
    my peddle is a straight switch, which will operate a relay to keep the current down.
    as you say it's the gearing design thats the hard work, and the commercial wrappers have to have the belt removed and fitted to a secondary drying motor - and is what i want to avoid....
    i have a plan, as they say

5. faraday

headstock arrived from china, allows me to move on a little - still waiting for a few other bits inc drive belt.
    Also need to modify chuck to soft grip.

Did in the meantime experiment a low voltage dc drive motor coupled straight to chuck - not good... still may go back to sewing machine motor and pedal to be honest - fitting a bypass triac to drive motor for drying mode only.

Tonight to build a small wooden removable chassis - which will contain all the gubbings i think - main reason is weight and storage 2015-09-18 14.03.18.jpg 2015-09-18 14.03.26.jpg 2015-09-18 13.55.20.jpg 2015-09-18 13.55.57.jpg 2015-09-18 13.56.51.jpg 2015-09-18 13.56.59.jpg

6. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great post , would you like to test it , putting some eyes on my rod. Please.

7. faraday

a while yet Mocksqueek, still a lot of work to do...
    will do a video of it wrapping when finished - if it works or i can operate it.

Got my sandstorm and wrecked sonik to do first.... and i dont fancy hand wrapping another rod.

8. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good luck..........looks far too complicated for a simple bloke ....................like me

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. faraday

well, run into more problems with my home built power wrapper, can be sorted but time is the issue and am as always bang crazy at work.

decided to purchase the pacbay power wrapper at a price of £350 "ouch" to get me running but using one of these beasts aint been easy "for me" !

first go with it, i have an old diawa sandstorm 13m, previously used it for a couple of seasons off the marine drive and usual scaur marks on north side - tbh i did abuse it a little(maybe more than a little actually) - stripped it and discovered tip ring ferrule had bitten into the blank leaving a nasty weak spot. rod is for me self anyway so reluctantly decided to cut off 30mm from the tip ( i can hear the screams now ) and i did ad it for sale for next to nowt with no takers...

rebuilt it best i can to my ability and skills so far gained, i have also ensured the tip ring ferrule edge is very slightly trumpeted but also sat on grade A black whipping - not directly on the blank.
    Ring on butt section to do, bit of burnishing on top section whipping to do and a bit of poking here and there to any other odd looking bits.
    will post results after hibuild.
    there is an image of what it was like b4.

Attached Files:

10. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looking Good, but if I did what you did in the kitchen my wife would have my nuts for earrings !

Roger

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. faraday

Our lass dont mind Rog'

I get away with worse than that lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. faraday

Still learning, but improving (in my opinion)

Thought i would do the right thing and treat my winter cod rod after a season of serious abuse. Minima rings these season coming, a first for me, with the tough tip.
    Just finishing the butt section then on to the hi build, not sure how dark the blue will go with the epoxy on it.... 20160502_141351.jpg 20160501_132426.jpg 20160502_141334.jpg 20160502_141351.jpg

13. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Cracking job, you must be getting used to the machine:cool:

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Still learning, but improving (in my opinion)

soon be new terry carol

15. faraday

Yes slowly with the electric wrapper but find certain parts easier with my hand wrapper.
    All trial n error - made some right goofs but thats in the learning.

Who's Terry Carol Navman ? will google it....

16. faraday

Oh, i realise now. RIP

Should have remembered really when i did an old conoflex - it had his name on the graphics.

17. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some job there bud looking good

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks mint ,good combo in colour

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. faraday

thats finished, moved onto a daiwa supercast for myself f/s - intend to use for the summer...with braid of course... 13312750_10208816426182041_6275203976924053224_n.jpg 13315226_10208816426102039_451476153548923664_n.jpg 13342959_10208816426262043_2573912882121935531_n.jpg