1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Line

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Haka007, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Hi, could anyone recommend a decent fishing line for rough ground please?
    I've just seen too many comparisons with mono and braid then theres fluorocarbon i cant think straight!
    Any help will be appreciated thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

2. Scarface

Scarface Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi mate used both much prefer braid

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

off the boat or shore? or for trace line? I use braid for both now, but i know of plenty of lads using mono for shore fishing still. i was using mono for uptiding but use braid for that too. i use mainly braid from china now and have no problems with the spectra, its used on my hire reels too, it wears well, the diameter isnt as thin as the popular lines but its good when you think youre only spending £5 per fill, if youre after a quality braid i really like the spider wire code red, and you will find martin in whitby angling stocks it

4. Tim in Yorkshire

Tim in Yorkshire Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A quick newbie question, when using braid, can I use it for the leader (the bit attaching the lure/rig if I'm correct) or should I use mono for this bit? Or have I got it all wrong?

5. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

I will be using it for shore fishing rich. I was going to use braid but read that it is not as good as some mono abrasion wise..
    And i did use mono for a shock but scrapped it altogether, causing more trouble than its worth, couldnt get the knot small enough and it kept kicking the rod eyes on the cast. Got stuck a few times too. I am just guna forget about using shock and up my line strength, which brings this debate on line types!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

6. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For rough marks I use the Chinese 50lb straight through, it's a lot thicker than the uk braid on the market Amd it's quite abrasive resistant. It's ok on a multi because its about .38 wouldn't recommend for a fixed spool though

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

chinese 50lb is perfectly fine on a fixed spool I use it all the time

8. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

I would recomend suffix 35lb mono tough and relieable plus no leeder required :yes:

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Mullarkeys bulk spool mono [ its on the internet ] takes a lot of beating , tough as old boots , not over springy and most of all reliable
    I have never had a bad spool yet and its not expensive , 40 lb is spot on for heavy ground , although we sometimes go up to 50 lb