1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Headlights, What Are Your Findings ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 20, 2014.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Bought the fenix hp 25 and have had 4 sessions with it now :)

Imo better than the apex as has a much better flood, better battery life and is at least as well made :)

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Zoomable CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Flashlight Headlamp Headlight 2000LM 3 Modes CN

I got two of these last November and used them all last winter and I am using them again this season so far. Good flood and a good spot, very bright. The best Chinese light I ve had and at just over 14 quid for two of them and running on AA batteries I would chance another couple of them when these fail. Compared to £65 for one light for me it's a no brainer even if I have to replace one sooner than a year. I ve had some complete trash as well but these have been great.c

3. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've had a Fenix HP25 for a couple of years now easily the best headtorch I've used. Lasts for ages with the four AA rechargeables the flood beam is ideal for baiting up and the spot beam for bringing fish in.

My old mans got the 30 not sure on that yet as the battery life doesn't appear to be as good as the 25.

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Jelly
    I had the crees that run on AA batterys and they are still fine but moved on to the ones that run on 18650s for more power.
    I wont pay a tenner or more for two good make 18650S but buy laptop batterys which hold 6/8 cells which are usually panasonic or samsung cells .
    Out of 5 batterys I have split only two cells wouldn't take a charge leaving the rest charging up to 4-2volts meaning a lot of 18650 cells for a fiver.
    I would recommend the used laptop battery over chinese bought batterys as all I have stripped out have been top quality makes.

5. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Never had a problem with the e-bay headtorches. Both mine are still working after a few years of use. (*This type)

BUT. Horses for courses and all that, I use mine a few times a season in 'battle conditions'. I might well have a different view if I were out several times a week.

*I got mine without batteries then spent about the same again on a couple of Panasonic 3400mAH batteries.

6. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  7. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Hows things going guys, whats new on the market ??

8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cree for me been lucky possibly got good batteries of mozzer and threw ultrafire where they belong
    some of the joints were resoldered but but for 10 quid they are a bargain

9. Platypus Boy

Platypus Boy Blenny

Just got myself a Princeton Tec
    Have a fenix Hp20 aswell bothe are excellent, the Hp 20 has a long lead and a belt attachment ......... Although brighter than a Princeton Tec I don't like the lead going to my belt, it does my tits in ....... Both are very well made

10. pmac

pmac Blenny

Ive have two cree 1800 for 3 years no problems with them.
    also still have a princton tec for 5 years no problem with that.
    dont use it much as the cree are brighter , i just use it as a spare.

11. cryo

cryo Blenny

I have two LED Lenser German made headlamps which give a very bright but focused dimmable light they use rechargeable AAA or normal AAA and are rain/spray proof with gold plated contacts. I think I've only used the back up one once in approx. 5 years they are very reliable, light and compact. The ebay cree's are bright but will let you down eventually usually when you require them to get back to your car or tackle a rope etc. I have dropped my LED Lenser's many times when taking gear out of the car to start a session (must remember not to put headlight on the top of fishing box :) but up to now they have held up very well. One thing to note only buy from a reputable dealer as many types of the more expensive headlamps are copied and sold on ebay if it appears to too good a price buyer beware. As an afterthought they will give a few flashes to let you know when the battery's are low and you can dim then down to get a few more hours fishing.

Ken.

12. Steve

Steve Rockling

are you all aware of the SOS function on theses lights and i dont mean the strobe

13. bow1

bow1 Rockling

still using Princeton same one as in original post...however recently having probs with poor battery life,couple hours only on high...don't know if its batterys,tried few diff ones or light.

14. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've used a PETZL lamp with duracel battery got an LED upgrade from the torch site battery still ok 2 winter seasons now