1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Headlights, What Are Your Findings ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Headlights For Sea Fishing - Winter Cod Fishing

Q1. Out of those anglers who bought the High powered Cree Headlights from Hong Kong or China off Ebay, how many of you have managed to keep a single headlight running for a season or longer with no problems at all. These headlights are renowned for poor wiring, poor batteries and substandard parts. Basically cheaply made.

Q2. How many people are still using The Princeton Tec Apex. How long have you had it now and how do you rate them ?? Have you ever broke one or had one go faulty on you ??

Q3. The Fenix range are getting increasingly good press recently. I own one myself and find them more robust and better made than The Princeton tec Apex. Is anyone else using a Fenix and how do you rate them against other headlights you have owned ??

A Bit Of A Background On The Evolution Of Fishing Headlights.

Sea Angling Headlights have always been a hot topic of discussion on this forum. Over the years the advice I have recieved here has helped me source excellent quality headlights. Bright and Light have become the favourites now, and with this in mind Im looking for a bit more guidance, hence the questions above.

Back in the early days, our headlights were usually sourced off a friend of a friend of a friend who knew a man, who knew another man who had connections at a local mine and was able to get us a miners lamp with those huge battery packs, which if they leaked made a hell of a mess of your clothes and skin.

Then came the petzels. Light and running off a battery pack on the back of your head. The light was usually quite dim and yellow and the batteries never quite lasted long enough.

Then came the LED's. Princeton tec And Lenser were amongst the early favourites. More recently a more robust range of headlights have appeared from Fenix.

Also worthy of note are the super bright Cree LEDS that are avaialbale on Ebay. Having watched the situation for several years now they are looking increasingly like poor economy and value for money. Although Cheap, the stories of them failing and even falling apart seem to be told constantly, plus my own personal view is they are far too bright.

With regards to the cree, Ive heard people say they are cheap, so i just buy another. My personal thinking is once your on your second or third cree youve spent as much as you would of done if you bought one of the more recognised brands in the UK, and you would have a decent garuntee with it.

Having read the above infomation, are you able to tell your stories ?? What is the best headlight you have owned and why ? and which have been the worst.

Readers Suggestions

2. Baramundi Bob

Re: That Old Chesnut - Fishing Headlights, What Are Your Findings ??

Please feel free to link to the headlights you currently use. Now readers and new comers to the sport will appreciate your suggestions.

3. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I initially had an mfa glenn but poor light and heavy battery made me invest in anprinceton bout 6 years ago after advice I think on here. I think I paid bout 60 quid.

I had 5 years excellent service then last winter I had problemss with the switch. I sent it away and got replacement with no quibbles, it arrived in a few days. The New invoice Said they are now £120.

I cant fault the product or service. There is a 10 year warranty on the Princeton tec Apex.

4. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Hî Glenn

I use a hope vison 4 for work and fishing I've had it for about 4 years on low it will last 36 hours

Here is a link to The Hope Vision 4

5. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Myself and jape are still on our first cree 1600, they are now in thier third winter season.

They are great lights, but i ditched the firefly batterys ,and paid for some better ones like panasonic and senybor.

I no lads that wont entertain these headlights due to poor wiring and not lasting ,but they have never let us down.

Here is a link to The Cree Headlights We Use.

6. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Our Cree Headlights are on their fourth year.

Admittedly they are not used as much as some peoples, but they're still going & one of the original utrafire 18650 batteries too cant fault them.

7. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im on my third year of the Chinese cree 1800,

Yes they are quite cheaply made. I bought mine for £15 and third year cant fault it,ive had the 300 and 600 lumen ones they did not last :-\

This is the one I use.

8. smokey

smokey Rockling

My Cree went in the bin about 6 months ago when it started smoking whilst charging. I dread to think what would have happened if I wasn't home at the time.

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I have recently got a fenix hp30. While not as bright as the crees (only just) its a very well made piece of kit with the added security of a ultra low power mode which will give you enough light to find your way if your battery dies. Very impressed so far

Fenix HP 30

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i am using a cree 1600 from ebay, got it last summer, was used for fishing and shooting at night, in all weathers, still going strong, the only problem is the sudden death of the battery pack..... no dimming but have discovered that the is a warning that the charge is running out.... the press button switch is green when plenty of charge.... glows red when low on charge... found this out when it was on the gun as you wouldnt see it when on ya head...obviously haha...

all i need is a second battery pack as a spare and i am sorted...

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have 3 crees from 1200 to 1600 lumen for years .dont know what the actual lumen they put out but brighter by far than any lamp I have had before.
    Not one of my lamps has had a fault and still work as good as when I got them.
    For the money cant see a better option out there.
    As for 18650 batterys for the lamps buying chinese is a lottery as most are fakes so I buy used laptop batterys and break them up to get either 8 or 6 18650 cells from each battery and they are always top quality not fakes and charge to 4-2 volts .
    So much cheaper than buying quality batterys. I bought a job lot of 9 laptop batterys for 20 quid so times that by 6 or 8 and thats a lot of 18650 cells for 20 quid.

12. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

cant fault the cree 1600 mines has been used for 3 or 4 years now never had a problem, like above i use batteries out of laptops, i just make sure i have spare batteries with me each trip

13. oldtrace

oldtrace Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi , I've tried the Chinese route, and would never go on the rocks with one, just don't trust them enough.
    Have to agree with the hope R4 as I've been using one for 2 years, and it is brilliant if a bit expensive.
    I have recently bought a nitecore HC90. Runs off a single 18650. Main light is infinitely variable from o to 1000 lumens with 3 coloured led options. No external wires to break. Been great so far. £65 from fleabay.

14. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bought a Princeton Apex some 5 years back, had it replaced under warranty last year just because the outer cover of the cable had split at one end, no quibbling just followed their instructions and paid the postage. Still using it all the time.

I have bought 2 Cree headlamps over the same period just for back ups, one has failed all together and the other works but the cable outer is peeling. I do use the Cree at work on occasion but I have also got a Cree hand torch which works fine.

Regards

Tony

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I bought two cree headlights 3 yrs ago and a hand torch,to be honest I haven't had a problem with either,but I use Panasonic batteries ,and I also bought an intellicharger,...the batteries,/charger where crap!!!...i also sprayed the headlamps with silicon spray...don't know if that did the trick..but it certainly didn't do any harm...but I honestly cant see the need for anything above 1600 lms...and I would buy the same lamps again no problems......mick. ;)

16. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

2000 lmn cree,had it 12 months no issues at all,can't fault them,don't even use my petzl ultra anymore,too dim lol.Seriously tho,I do a lot of fishing n the cree has never ever let me dwn.
    Would by another one no probs,for a tenner or so,even less u can't go wrong.

17. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have a fenix hp 20 and it's class have also got a Cree and I do use it but of I'm going over ground or a sitsuation where I feel if the headlight was to fail I would be in trouble it's the fenix I use good well made light. I'm on my 3rd Cree and it could be a case of 3rd time lucky as (touch wood) it hasn't let me down also I never ever leave it unattended while charging I've heard of them going "pop" on more than one occasion

Fenix HP 20

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Got a fenix HP 30 and a Chinese cree. The cree is brighter but I trust the fenix so wear that and keep the cree in my bag as a backup

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baramundi Bob

20. limpet

limpet Blenny

ive been using the fenix HP11 for over two years now and love it.. had no bother whatsoever,has four light settings and to be honest only use the brightest setting for getting on and off marks.. the dim sets are ample for baiting/reeling/casting

i cant understand the need for these mega lumen lighthouse jobbies what these plebs where on the heads and blind every fecker in a five mile radius :mad: