1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING HEADLIGHT - HEADLAMPS - Head torch advice ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Rockling

2. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=372

4. Baramundi Bob

A Golden Oldie

5. Steve

Steve Rockling

have you seen these

3x CREE XM-L T6+2R5 LED 5000 Lumen Headlamp Headlight Head Light LAMP Flashlight

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-CREE-XM-L-T6-2R5-LED-5000-Lumen-Headlamp-Headlight-Head-Light-LAMP-Flashlight-/201162663635?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item2ed63aa6d3

6. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i cant imagine the battery lasting long on that thing. One of the best on the market atm imo is the fenix hp25. I also own the 30. Battery lasts ages on the 25. I also guarentee the fenix 30 is brighter than any cree!

7. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

myself and a good few of may mates have the fenix' hp30 great lamp, I seem to go through a couple of crees a year theyre good but not very robust

8. cod hunter

cod hunter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if your getting a princton tec apex send to America for them I got 2 including post and packing cheaper then buying 1 in the uk

9. oldtrace

oldtrace Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys. new to Forum, but been fishing for 50years.
    Not seen this one mentioned. I have been using a hope R4 for a couple of years and it is an awesome piece of kit. it is a cycle lamp but comes with a good head harness, has variable light settings up to 1000 lumens and two lithium batteries.
    Bit expensive but a great bit of kit.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have just bought a Petzl Pixa 2 off E bay brand spanking new for just over 30 Quid it has a 3 year warranty
    and it looks like a real quality product , no doubt its not the brightest light but its well suited to walking in the dark
    with 2 lighting settings , if the battery power starts dropping off it automatically goes into another mode giving around light for another 6 hrs or so, so you should never get caught out [ obviously a spare lamp is a good idea ]
    ---- It always puzzled me a bit why you would want a light that would dazzle pigeons at one mile !

11. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Just to clear something up that seems to be a common misconception... "Cree" do not make head torches. Cree make LED's. They are pretty much the RR of LED's. I would be surprised if 'Fenix' did not use Cree LED's in their products.

If you see an e-bay 'Cree X lumen headtorch' advertised then what they are really suggesting is that they are selling a headtorch that utilises a Cree LED not that they are selling a headtorch made by Cree.

As I say, Cree make LED's not anything that might utilise one of their vast range of LED's. They really are 'top of the Premiership' where LED's are concerned. They don't make head torches though.

Here is their website ... http://www.cree.com/ ... as you can see they do not make Cree head torches for sale on e-bay!

12. robq

robq Rockling

Im a bit fed up with the chinese cree lights failing with poor wiring and components :( You just cant trust them on a wet night with a long walk over rocks and a big climb back to safety.

So I bought a fenix HP25 as a backup to my princeton tec apex, after a recommendation somewhere on this thread :)

I like a light that takes 4 x AA batteries on the head cradle and it fitted the bill

Well I have to say that I prefer it to the apex, mainly down to the flood which is a lovely wide spread of light. The spot is decent too, maybe not as mega bright as some of the 1000 + ( claimed ::) ) lumens of the chinese crees !! but more than bright enough :)

Well worth £55 :)

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

anyone got the fenix HP-30?

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i really should have read the whole thread :)

15. Baramundi Bob

Some Fenix Headlights At Awesome Prices On Ebay. Id say they are better than the princeton tech. More robust and a nice strong beam with several lower settings too.

Check Out Prices Here.

16. Steve

Steve Rockling

Have you seen the fenix HL55 rob. Claims to be waterproof to 2m

17. robq

robq Rockling

No not seen it steve ?

Il have a look online :)

To be honest the HP30 has a better spec than the 25 but I just dont like seperate battery waist packs :p They always seem to get in the way ;D

I seem to end up getting them snagged round my rucksack and pulling the leads out whilst climbing :mad:

I still have 2 x lenser H14 cree copies that still work fine, I just dont trust that they wont let me down when I really need them :(

18. Steve

Steve Rockling

iv got to the stage in life rob were if im going anywhere like Ravenscar on my own, i have 2 lights even in daylight. a 2way radio with 26 mile radius and a couple of large chemical sticks. just in case... hopefully ill never have to use them

19. robq

robq Rockling

Steve I know where you are coming from :) I take safety more seriously the older I get

Dave and I are starting to use double ropes wherever we go now with an extra safety fall arrest device

Yep some may laugh and say overkill ;D but you will only ever regret not taking those extra precautions once !! and by then it will be too late :(

I always have 2 lights and spare batteries too :)

20. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

I have a hope vison 4 I've had it for years the best headlight I've had and seen
    36 hours on low setting