1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING HEADLIGHT - HEADLAMPS - Head torch advice ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

What is the best headlamp on the market today ??

2. mww

mww Rockling

Re: Head torch advice

Some of the lads on Chris Macks site swear by the new princetn tec apex. I think there is a decent review of it on here.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-tackle-reviews/princeton-tec-apex/

also some more reviews here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-tackle-reviews/category/headlights/

3. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Miners lamps a good and quite cheap if you can get hold of one or a tiga sl12

4. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Whatever you do dont buy a MFA LED lamp, absolute pile of cr*p

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ta rusty i was doubtful as the guy in the shop also said abu were crap and okuma manitex were the dogs.....nah....i don t thinkl so, I ve got both and although the okuma hasn t let me down , Swedish abu takes some beating.
    I ll have to look round for prices on a Tiga......What voltage/amp battery does the Tiga light use ???

6. robq

robq Rockling

princeton tec apex 3watt LED dave, no question. I have used the oldham miners,speleo fx3 and 5 and then a tiga. Last year I was up on bennys fishing next to a lad using the apex and I was so impressed I bought one to put in my rucksack for the long walks and big climbs when the tiga is a bit much to carry. After using it for the first time I put the tiga up for sale !!

I wont go on as there has been loads of threads about them before , do a search on wsf and it will come up with loads of info. If you want a look at one first, remind me before I next see you and I will bring it for you to have a look.

Rob

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I've used an MFA for fishing for a few years now and don't really have a complaint although the connections on the reducer went twice when I first got it so I had to send it back but their customer service dep't was fine and sorted me with a new one (Twice).

Personally speaking I'm not keen on real bright lights for fishing. I have a tiga but prefer the mfa only using the Tiga for bait collecting on a night (its my second Tiga - No doubt Ray can fill you in on the details of the first :D).

I like the LED on the MFA for watching for bites, its not to bright so I dont fear it frightening the fish off. Then it has a main halogen for when your walking to and from marks.

I also like the sound of the light Mart and Rob mention. I might just have to have one of those as they sound top notch. My Mate has on of these superbright LED headlamps and I have to admit I was amazed at its brightness.

:) :)

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Re: FISHING HEADLAMPS - Head torch advice ?

;D I,m not keen on the LED or the MFA but prefer the RHB headlamp, it,s for nowt but can be expensive for some (Glenn ;D) You,re starting to sound like Wacker, with your skulking around with a dim light ;) Got to agree with what you said though. Dim light for fishing and as bright as possible for bait collecting which is the main reason I,ve got my Tiga.

9. Baramundi Bob

Nah I turn my light on ;). He just disappears into the night like a little hobbit :D.

10. MFC

MFC Blenny

tiga for me .fantastic for crabing ,i do take a small led as back up in case you decide to drop your tiga while having a pee;;;;;;

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

Does Franky even use a headlight Mark?? I've walked into him and shat myself on many a dark night ;D ;D

12. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Those connections are what I was talking about Glenn, mines been back twice aswell in the end I just changed the connectors for 1/4" jacks like those on tigas and it fine.

Main reason I dont like it tho' is the first time it went I was at the bottom of ravenscar with only a small LED lamp as back-up. Wasnt the most fun coming back up :mad:

13. Baramundi Bob

Would have to agree Phil. I have had several problems with connections. I bet its scary down Ravenscar in the pitch black, especially with juan creeping about ;) ;D

14. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

It was like a scene from Lord of the ring. Creeping around the rocks with whisperings of "me prescious....come to me my preescious crystal"

15. Baramundi Bob

Sounds like Ray ;)

16. MFC

MFC Blenny

can u belive it smokey. we bought him a Tiga , he did moan that every bugger can see him now

17. Baramundi Bob

Does anyone know what the 6 different light setting are for the Princeton tec apex ?

Is it possible to get a low light level out of this lamp too ?

Also what is the best price and where can I source one ?

18. robq

robq Rockling

the best deal I saw and got was the one that dave ( jellyworm ) has just put up before this post.

There are only 4 settings really as 2 0f the 6 are flashing modes for emergency use

1- full main narrow beam
    2-reduced power main narrow beam
    3-full power wide flood
    4-reduced power flood

There is a good site that gives candlepower readings for all the settings and battery durations.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah they do that now glen , you should pay ure bills ;D ;D...or u should of give me a shout n i would of won it for you .if it was that good of a deal ,,,

20. Baramundi Bob

If I see another Ill let you know Dav. ;)