1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing For Conger At The Mull Of Galloway - Mull Conger ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Geoff_Jubb, May 28, 2014.

1. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Hi,
    Me and a mate are away to the Mull soon and are hoping to target some conger eels.
    Does anyone know of a mark we could try during the day?
    I know we could just choose any rocky point, but want to be sure there is enough depth during the day to tempt them out.
    We are going to try the pier in Loch Ryan by night if access allows, does anyone know what it's like for getting on?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. congerball

congerball Blenny

Re: Mull Conger?

The pier at loch Ryan is where I had my best of 28lb....mind you that was a few years ago now, not sure how bad it is now.

3. Rockford

Rockford Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Only small area on Loch Ryan Pier you can fish.The rest is now gated off. Years ago was a good conger spot. The old Redcar club used to go on a all night competition trips and fish the length of the pier. I think restrictions where put on not long after the Ark Royal was broken up. On my last visit there was a Port Official in one of the old brick building.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Inside of the Mull Of Galloway Between East tarbot and Lagvag. There is conger all the way along. Biggest I saw was one Mike got at 30lb plus. We couldnt get it out the water, and that came from Flat Rock area.

Fish mackerel baits close in and you wont go far wrong.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

If you go as far as the car park at the mull head follow the wall down the slope until you reach the
    rock edge in luce bay , climb down about 10 yards to the left of the wall [ Its easy to get down ]
    fish a large mackerel bait starting 2 hours before HW till 2 hours back on the EBB

6. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

I'd be more than happy with one half that size! My best so far is 11lb.

Thanks for telling me this. Is the base worth fishing?
    Is it an absolute no to fishing off the pier, or can you get away with it?

Brilliant lads, thank you very much.
    I didn't expect such specific advice, but am very grateful.
    Have switched to a Penn Battle and braid now so hopefully will get something to test it.

7. Baramundi Bob

Alan and GJW have a few videos on the site somewhere showing them congering in that area. Try having a search amongst the mull topics, you may just find it.

8. congerball

congerball Blenny

Thats some great advice there.

The pier is dangerous. Holes everywhere, partial collapses. I dont advise this but you can get on it by threading your rod through a gap in the wire mesh then clamber round. Don't slip or you're fooooked!

9. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14560.0

10. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=479

11. Baramundi Bob

Also worth a look :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-at-the-rhins-and-mull-of-galloway

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

On Glenns first video link all but the last 4 video clips were taken at the mark I mentioned down by the wall ---- The last 4 clips were about 400 yards to the right of the wall

13. Geoff_Jubb

Geoff_Jubb Blenny

Lol, maybe we'll stay of the pier this time then. Thanks for the advice!

Lots of great reading there, thanks for taking the time Glenn, hope you have a good time in Skye.

Brilliant Cliff, thank you!
    If we don't catch we can't blame anyone but ourselves.

14. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Fishing For Conger ,some canny conger plymouth

79 lb off plymouth

Attached Files: