1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Cowbar Jetty At Staithes?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Somewhere I've always fancied trying but where do you fish from ? what tide ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Health and safety - Please Read

Angling from the shore in the UK is very hazardous to say the least. Every year lives are lost whilst pursuing our fascination with sea angling. Anglers of all levels of ability need to be very very careful indeed - having fallen badly myself last year I'm as aware as anyone of the dangers of rock fishing. At this point I would like to offer a few words of advice to anglers.

Never attempt to fish a new area without the help and advice of someone experienced in fishing that area.

Always check the tide and ensure you will be safe to access and exit your chosen area. Watch out for cut off points. If unsure don't go. Its not worth it.

Be aware of the weather forecast. Conditions can change fast.

Don't access closed areas, eg piers whilst the storm gates are shut.

Carry some form of communication.

Tell someone where you are going and when you intend to return. Ask them to raise the alarm should you not return.

Do not fish heavy seas. Its very dangerous and your wasting your time anyway, fish don't like really rough seas. Leave it a day or 2 until the sea is dieing.

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Re: Cowbar Jetty ?

i was on there monday nite mate, sraight off the end , you dont want too much sea here mate, it can be very dangerous, fish the seaward side of the jetty and the end fish best, can throw a biggie, but they are hard to land, i've lost two pigs off there lately :'(

3. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

Re: Cowbar Jetty ?

fishes any state of tide glenn.fish from the end.if you cast off the end your onto fairly clean ground.imagine the end of the pier being a letter Y, the V of the Y is the casting zone.to the left of this zone and you will be chucking into tangles,large boulders and big holes which does produce fish but tackle losses are heavy.

4. Baramundi Bob

For anyone interested in fishing at Cowbar I also found this article by Bernard Westgarth

Information taken for debate and news purposes only. No Copyright infringed

See Fishing Cowbar Jetty for full article.

5. Baramundi Bob

6. Lobbers

even a quarter that amount of sea(if there is such a thing), can be highly dangerous, you really have to be vigilant on this mark as the best times in winter are when it is only just fishable, even then you can be caught out. many people have suffered lost fishing gear and a few have been washed off, people think it is safer now the sea defence stones were put in place, but with the right direction swell, the stones can act as a ramp for the waves. a bloke i know called jim was hurt quite badly early on in the cod season when a freak wave came over and smashed his face into the concrete pillar at the end of the jetty, nobody saw him fishing again this season.
    my advice for the novice codhunter is go with someone who knows what they are doing, i'm sick of hearing of near misses off this place, where people go on with no knowledge of conditions, tide etc, they just hear bla bla so and so caught a ten off there last week, lets go ??? ???

7. Lobbers

i love the 2nd photo of the jetty being engulfed by the sea, amazing to think i was on there the next night oulling in gadus ;D

8. Myisland

Myisland New Member

If you look on the photos they is still a boat moored in the harbour.
    If you fish the pier don't cast across the harbour mouth as I ended up with someones line round me prop, no one on here I hope?!

9. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

phill is your boat the blue one.if so i waved at you the other week when you were steaming south and i was heading back to harbour.

10. Myisland

Myisland New Member

Thought it was you!
    Which boats yours again? Is it the trition cobble moored near the little pier with the 15hp Mariner?
    Is your eBay username ringholer?

Phill

11. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

mine is the yorkshire pebble all white called trilogy with the 15hp mariner.no ringholer is not me.its a lad from round seaton close.his boat is the yorkshire pebble with the blue top plank moored on the seaward side of mine.

12. dbrown

dbrown Guest

How much would it cost me to have an outing on a whitby boaat such as trot on or sea otter 2? Thanks

Dan

13. Acko

Acko Rockling

Your Talking 30 quid on a Whitby boat Probably 40 to 45 on a Wreck boat
    Paul ( Sea Otter2) Would be your best bet
    His number is on here somewhere
    If YOU FANCY A TRIP OFF LET ME KNOW i MIGHT JOIN YA?

14. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Aii will do matey, never been boat fishing myself looks good from what ive seen of the pictures.

DAN

15. Baramundi Bob