1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHING BOULBY, The Early Days, History Topic

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

i was just thinking back to boulby before it became popular, it actually took anglers out of the cleveland area to really bring it to real notice, i believe it was the lads from scarbrough who made the breakthrough in the langbaurgh or redcar festival where they swept the board out of boulby gulley, i got to thinking was there anyway of getting down the cliff to get early access to the gulley, so i did some recci work and found
    a way down i had no rope so the first time i went down was without any ropes, it was a bit of a struggle I put a couple of anchorages in , arthur robinson who in those days was a fireman managed to get a couple of old fire hoses, which he split into strips about 2 inches wide, and so was born the original boulby rope. Since then access points have been made at the green top rock and whitestones cliff,

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Re: boulby -------- the early days

Yea i know you were one one of the early lads that started to fish Boulby Al, and its hard to believe you first went down there with out the aid of ropes.. I remember you telling me about the good bags of fish that came from them spots in the festival match's all though bags are much smaller these days, Boulby is still a top spot and a lot of local open competions are won from there, its such a good area...

When fishing down there its hard to get your head round that it was once a very busy industry (Alum) and boats use to come in and out of the gulley, still today you can see things and old workings from when it was once a busy working industry, i don't know the full story of the alum industry but i think they use to ship in human urine and mix it with alum to make dye for clothes/leather etc,work commenced in 1784 and at its peak employed 355 men and closed in 1871,, its funny how it was once all natural then it was a busy working industry and now has gone back to nature again...I find it very intresting finding out about the history of our coastline... Sometimes when i am stood alone fishing in the dark under the towering cliffs at Boulby i think back to what it must of been like when it was busy with boats coming in and out and people working away...

Another fact Boulby have the highest cliffs in England at 666ft...

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

its certainly got an atmoshere, coming back to the comments about the alum process i suppose the phrase are you taking the piss will most likely be associated with the collection of urine from quite a few cities that was a vital part of the process, i think i only climbed it the once without rope, it was a lot dodgier than fishing the cliff tops

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

blood hell up and down boulby without a rope :death: no chance mate ,you must have been barmy , how long ago was that alan :gum: you must have been a young lad them days :whistle: and the terrain will have been a bit different, i bought a book from staithes a couple of years ago garry ,it was a good read all about staithes and boulby and the alum industry , :educated: it also told of the history of the fishing industry and how staithes came to being. very interesting mate :yes: :yes:

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

To be perfectly honest with you al , i dont think it will be too long before we are putting another rope down there :scare:, i reckon its gona go soon ......
    In the early days al , was boulby as unpredicatable as is today ? what i mean is were you guranteed a fish once down there as the gossip said ..., when i was a young davonator i you`s to hear people talk about boulby which got me thinking , which i am still doing today , Boulby is my fav spot ever sinse the owld fella took me down there if memeory serves me correct i remember being half way down it on me arse and our dad told me to shot our rods down :cheesy: :cheesy: which i did :surprise: :surprise:,...., agree its certainly not a fish factory down there but for me thats not what its all about :happy:, i just love being out n about down there , as gary says its got summat about the place....

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Was talking to Arthur on Friday night Al. He's in a wheelchair now as he suffers from MS, despite that he was in good spirits. Said he still keeps his eye on the local fishing scene.

7. bengunn426

bengunn426 Blenny

ive always fancy fishing boulby but unsure of getting down ,i know lads who fish it so i might tag along with then some time ,trouble is what happens if you catch a ramrod special it would take some gettin back up.

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I fished boulby many years ago when the potoash bouy was pumping out the colour down there was out of this world you only needed a big tide even without swell with the water been thick nearly all the time boulby had a massive adavantage over all the other fishing marks it was quite unbeleiveable place to say the least i myself have had a nice few doulble cod from down there my best a 14lb fish which i caught to right of the rope and that was actually in may it was the late 80ss when i started to fish there fish were knee deep at times .

paul.

9. bengunn426

bengunn426 Blenny

sounds like it must of been a good place at one time you,s lads have some good memories of the place.

10. seabass

seabass Blenny

fished boultby last year at bottom of rope and got a couple of nice ones ,a hell of a job getting back up was absolutely cream crackerd when i got to the top took me two days to get over it. so now go the long way walking in from cowbar at low water.

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Been told that they still pump out down there but there is far less clay pumped out and so that's why its not as coloured as it once was. If your looking for a history of the place then Mike33 is the person to ask. He knows all about the mining, how the caves were made and he even reckons all the gulleys are man made. Its interesting stuff and I hope he posts something up about it.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ever time i fish on w sto0nes i say to me self this is the reason fopr a majority of the colour around that area , the cliffe base is clay and its washed onto at hw ....defo colour coming from there ....

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

the first time i went down the cliff was 1980 , i --just thought there must be a way down, i cut across the cliff until i came
    to the worst bit, but the cliff was dry and i just went for it, i suppose the cliff face wasnt as worn in those days ----
    did you always get fish in those days, well in one word no was the answer, although it was a very reliable spot under
    the right conditions, the best i have known to come out of boulby gulley was 23lb, the whole area round there can on its
    day offer some top cloass cod fishing, as the davenator knows, whitestones can give some great fishing for those who are prepared to maroon themselves over the high water, on a decent sized tide with a nice bit of edge on, but not a big sea

14. Mark

Mark Blenny

I started fishing Boulby two years ago and have only fished it a handful of times and have yet to catch apart from a coalfish and a rockling. I always walk on because i don't know the rope way and always stop at the boiler hole and fish there(the cowbar side of it). Is white stones further on from there and is it safe to stay and fish high water?

Cheers
    Mark

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Probably about another 25 minutes walk Mark, maybe more. Rope access is difficult but IMHO probably not half as bad as Goldsborough on a wet day. Tap some of the lads up for info on the access points via PM.

Also some info here :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.sawdon1/

16. Mark

Mark Blenny

as far as that ,bloody hell. Don't think i'd be too confident walking that far with all those cut off points behind you. But thanks for the info bob,coming up on new years day for a few days so will try and get out somewhere. I don't suppose there is a match on around the weekend of the 3/4th jan??

Cheers

Mark.

17. mike33

mike33 New Member

Looks like I'll have to post sumit then Glenn!!

I'm no expert on the history of minning around the Whitby area but my job Fossil collecting / preparation and collecting and working Whitby Jet gives me a good insight into the local history and of the lads who used to live and work in the Alum, ironstone and Jet industries, when you start looking around the coast not just Boulby it can be as far as Ravenscar and all points inbetween and beyond there is evidence of minning of some sort.
    Boulby or Lofthouse mine was the largest Alum quarry on the coast and yeilded millions of tons of Alum over the life of the quarry, the landscape we all know on the cliff top at Sandsend, rabbit holes, moonscape, shotstones these are all manmade features, alot of the larger gullies we fish are natural but have been made wider and deeper to enable boats to land coal and barrels of urine etc and also be loaded back up with the alum and iron ore.
    It must have been a nightmare to work and live a hundred and fifty years ago in the quarries and mines on this coast most of which was dug by hand such as the Jet caves at Sandsend and Kettleness even the scars at Runswick and Portmulgrave were strip mined for Jet, Portmulgrave (known as Rosedale mine) had a huge ironstone mine which runs underground at the back of the harbour were the entrance is, its a absolute warren of shafts that run under the village itself.
    I have done a bit of jet minning myself on a small scale and I tell you its not easy!! I used modern tools how these guys dug it by hand beats me.
    It must have been an orsum site to see all the jet, Alum and iron mines in full swing........... a hive of industry, I love been out on the coast wether it be fossiling, collecting Jet or fishing and often and I think about all the history this coast has to offer.

Mike

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

yes it is safe to stay over whitestones on the HW i have done this several times
    you are well away from the water, at the second rope (green top rock rope )
    there is one cut off point , but on a good sized LW you can stay at whitestones
    for around 2.5 hrs after LW then get past the cut off point and climb the
    second rope or as i said fish over the HW but dont pick a big sea, there is a
    rope directly behind whitestones but doing your homework first is a must

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

your taking the piss mike :wink:

what did they use the urine for?

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

they used it as a scource of nitrogen which was an essential part of
    the process, you can imagine pouring gallons of piss on a fire for hours on end !