1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Fishing At Whitby - Have The Council Finished It off ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by aonaran, Sep 9, 2016.

1. aonaran

aonaran Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my dad used to take us to Whitby 60 odd yrs ago ,he would hire a house for the 6wks school holidays and we would go ,dad ,mam, bro, and sister and me ...

Loved it ,its where l learned to sea fish kiddies corner at the swing bridge flatties ,crabs didn't matter . then onto the piers for the mackerel .

Hand lines and a little spinning rod ,blimey loved it ,loved Whitby still do ,haven't been back for a long time.

My uncle used to have a 26ft sea going boat we used to fish from before the new mariners were built .

Its sad to hear that the councils in their wisdom have stopped it all ,its an escape for the kids if they are fishing they aren't getting into trouble and they are learning about nature.

These people need to under stand that they are there for us ,we put them in those positions and come the next elections can move them out ,they are supposed to be there to help us but they seem to think that they are an entity unto them selves ,do you know who you are talking to lm a councillor ,I'm this -that or what ever.

Sad very sad l really hope you get it sorted

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
    • Old Old x 1
  2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Hi there,

I wouldn't agree fully that the council has finished off fishing. The piers are both all but shut, well certainly all the east pier extension, and 90% of the west pier underneath is closed. But I doubt that is because they wanted to target anglers as such.

I would just say that Angling hasn't been in the forefront of the minds of the council in trying to keep the piers open.

Kiddies corner is still there and very well used, we also have some charter boats which take people fishing.