1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing At Whitby - Cod From The Pier (Excellent Report And Pictures)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mark, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Blenny

Planned on giving the Whitby area another go on Wednesday.So Monday off we went to pump some fresh lug with the big tides.

[​IMG]

Think we had nearly a 1000 between us ,took me ages to wrap them for the freezer. Kept 200 fresh for our trip.

Left Manchester at 0200 and arrived in Whitby for 4am. Weather was atrocious strong SE and rain,but that was the forecast.

We found the pier to be empty so plonked ourselves on the end on the left hand side ,was'nt too bad with the wind now on our backs and we soon had 2 rods out each baited with fresh lug.

lee had a cracking bite straight away but missed it and then followed this up with a couple of big whiting.I was still biteless after an hour and started to think that it still probably was'nt rough enough.

6am i gets a good knock,picks my rod another good knock then slack. Wound down and struck fish on,"get your arse down on that lower deck" i shouted to lee this will need hand balling up. as it happens it was only about 4lb but we were up and running.

lee then gets a great pull down and its my turn to get my arse down the steps to land his fish which goes nearly 6 on the scales.
    [​IMG]

Paul from sea otter 2 walks on,i'd promised him some fresh lug(hope they worked for you paul). Had a quick chat and he recommended that we try Bernies ledge on sandsend cliff's. my mate Lee was also keen to try the area. As soon as paul goes my rods over again and i pull another mop in of about 2lb followed by a larry lay on of a lb which i put back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

left the pier at 10am pretty pleased with the mornings action and off to sandsend cliffs.

Its the first time ive fished the cliffs and that area,i have done Boulby,port mulgave and runswick so i have a bit of experience but that walk was knackering loaded down with boxes 20 lb of lead 2 rods etc etc.

Gets to bernies ledge,and i thought that it looked well dodgy and stayed 15ft away from the edge like a girl. lee cast both his rods out and i fished with 1. straight away lee was into a fish only a 2lber and managed to get it up eventually. God knows how you get a big one up............ well we were about to find out. Lee's other rod nearly gets dragged over the edge,grabs it and hits it fish on big fish on. He gets it to the top and i move closer and look over and its a good fish dont think it will go 10 but its close.

we try and lift the fish and we get it nearly to the top when the line parts.Blinking hell we shouts or words to that effects. we both rebait and cast out again but were losing the water and we got no more bites.

Thats when Lee had a brainwave and said lets go down Goat track and fish the scaurs and holes. What a trek that is and were loaded up like a pair of mules. To cut it short we fished the bottom but it was rough with a big swell.
    [​IMG]

bernies ledge and top of the world i think. had a walk over to see if his fish was there but no sign.

Now for the bit i was dreading walking back up goat track.
    [​IMG]
    Lee with goat track in the background.

Got back to sandsend car park knackered ,damp and wind beaten. loaded the car up and went back to Whitby pier . Found lobbers on the end . we fished until about 7pm and thats when the tiredness set in and with a 2 hour drive home we packed up with Lobbers having 2 mops and 2 crack offs. Got in at 22.00 and cracked the head off a couple and bed.

first report with pics hope it turns out ok,its took me nearly 4 hours :'(

cheers Mark.

2. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good report, Mark, you certainly worked for your fish!

3. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

great report u must of bin knackered :)

4. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report mate nicely done

5. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report,long sesh that :eek: good pics,a very welldone 8) 8) 8)

6. alan whitwell

alan whitwell Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Excellent report and pics mate well done

7. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well done on your epic session.. pleased you got a couple of fish , and some cracking worms you got there... bet you both were knackered after all the walking and climbing between marks... well done again and thanks for taking the time to post it
    cheers
    Paul

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Managed 3 last night mark on those blacks thanks again mate if fished well after you left the west last night a few club lads nailed a few .

Paul

9. p.robbo

p.robbo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report,well done on your fish

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Great report and pics Mark and well done on catching a few

11. congerball

congerball Blenny

Nice report, good photos, cheers for posting

12. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great first report mark and well done on a marathon session. good fishing bud, unlucky on the big un.

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cracking report Mark, Glad you managed a few fish for your efforts, Shame about the big un, the perils of Cliff fishing not sure what the biggest has been lifted on them Cliffs but Alan (Big Cliff) has lifted one 13lb I have had one 11lb 8oz up Cowbar Cliffs, once they get above 8lb its a real struggle on the cliff tops..

14. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good to see you got a few for your efforts Mark, well done. 8)

Nick

15. Joebassdude

Joebassdude Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one! Sounds like you had a day to remember.
    Excellent photographs!

16. robq

robq Rockling

Now thats a great report mark :)

Well done on the fish 8)

17. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report thamks for sharint

cod help me !

18. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Unlucky mark losing the big one right near the top thats cliff fishing mate many years ago i was fishing a club match on bernies ledge , bernies ledge was named after a mate of mine who i used to fish regular with in the 70ss bernard stebbing he lived just up the road from me he was the first to fish it in the early 70ss we would be on the rabbit holes and bernard would wonder round the corner onto what is now his famous leged one match night me and my mate andy got smashed 5 times on berines leadge couldnt lift them out of the water very big fish so i started to fish saltwick and whitby scaure lot more where you were litterally pulling the the fish straight to your feet managed one 18lb then the following year one 20lb both of saltwick beach that was the class of fish about in the 70ss so you can imagine how many times you were getting smashed cliff fishing it was silly at times .

paul.

19. Mark

Mark Blenny

Thanks for your replies lads now I've mastered this picture lark I can hopefully do it again. That's some great fishing Paul bloody big fish they are from the shore.

Those cliffs are a bit daunting and even though heights don't bother me I was a bit wary. The consistency of the ledges didn't fill me with confidence it's almost like shale.

Lobbers was telling me he's lost some massive fish off bernies ledge fish closer to 20lb.

Might give them another shot soon.

Cheers mark

20. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Great report Mark - it takes a lot of time and effort to put a report like that together so well done! That Goat track is a killer isn't it - for me anyway ;)